- 5 hrs ago Did You Know These Side Effects Of Green Tea?
- 6 hrs ago 9 Skin Care Tips You Need To Follow This Winter Season
- 7 hrs ago Kangana Ranaut Inspires Us To Update Our Wardrobe With A Ralph Lauren Suit
- 7 hrs ago Umang 2020: Raveena Tandon And Manisha Koirala Show Us How To Look Stylish Yet Distinctive
- News TDP chief Chandrababu Naidu, 17 MLAs taken in police custody
- Sports Premier Badminton League 2020: Satwik & Lakshya Sen shine as Chennai Superstarz win opener
- Movies Bigg Boss 13 Day 113 Synopsis: Time To Elect The Second ‘Elite Member’ In The House
- Technology Jio Working On UPI Payments Via MyJio App To Compete With Google Pay
- Automobiles Maruti Suzuki Celerio BS6 Models Launched In India Starting At Rs 4.41 Lakh
- Travel 7 Patriotic Places To Visit This Republic Day
- Finance New Gold Hallmarking Rules: 5 Things To Know
- Education IIM Bangalore Women In Leadership Course Tanmatra
Botanically termed as Lonicera, honeysuckle belongs to the Caprifoliaceae family. The plant produces white, yellow, orange or pink flowers and its cherry-looking berries are at times poisonous. Widely known for its medicinal properties, the leaves, seeds and flowers of the herb can benefit the human body in various ways.
Honeysuckle has a prominent place in Traditional Chinese Medicine, where it has been used for treating headache, fever, high blood sugar levels and so on  . The fragrant common garden plant is packed with phytochemicals, organic acids, flavonoids, and anthocyanins, as well as other antioxidant substances.
Let's get to know the different ways through which you can make use of this herb and how you can incorporate it into your routine.
Uses Of Honeysuckle
The herb is utilised for various purposes and they are as follows  :
- Digestive disorders
- Cancerous tumours
- Skin inflammation
- Bacterial or viral infections
- Promoting sweating
Health Benefits Of Honeysuckle
From treating urinary disorders to managing diabetes, the health benefits possessed by the herb are many. Read on to know the way honeysuckle can benefit your body and mind  .
1. Boosts immunity
According to studies, the often toxic berries of the herb has proven to be beneficial in boosting your immunity. Acting as an immunomodulatory agent and also due to its anti-viral properties, honeysuckle berries aided in improving the immune system and protecting the body from infections and allergies  .
The herb contains powerful antioxidants, it's rich in Vitamin C and it's a great source of quercetin (an acid that fights free radicals) which contributes towards this benefit.
2. Improves oral health
The astringent and antibacterial properties possessed by the herb help improve your oral health by removing the bacteria that can cause oral problems like cavities, bad breath etc. Honeysuckle is a common ingredient in natural gargles and mouthwashes  .
3. Manages diabetes
According to studies, honeysuckle can help people with type 2 diabetes. The study revealed that the herb was able to decrease high levels of blood glucose levels and insulin resistance. The herb is shown to have anti-diabetic properties as well as anti-inflammatory abilities that can help to reduce the severity of diabetic nephropathy  .
4. Treats arthritis
The anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties possessed by honeysuckle can help individuals suffering from arthritis  . Studies reveal that the phenolic compounds found in the honeysuckle berries are responsible for suppressing the production of inflammatory enzymes in the spleen, thereby aiding individuals suffering from various types of arthritis, including rheumatoid arthritis and psoriatic arthritis  .
5. Promotes digestion
Honeysuckle extracts can help improve your digestive system and help get relief from digestion related problems such as nausea, indigestion, constipation, enteritis, and bloating  .
6. May prevent cancer
A great source of quercetin, an acid that fights free radicals, honeysuckle extracts are said to prevent the onset of cancer by killing off the free cancer-causing radical cells  . The extensive antioxidant and anti-inflammatory profile found in the flowers and berries of the plants are responsible for this benefit  .
Apart from these benefits, honeysuckle is also said to help eliminate inflammation in the respiratory tracts associated with bronchitis and sore throat, lower the pressure and normalize blood pressure, improve respiratory health, manage fever, flu and cold and treat skin inflammation and conditions, such as eczema, psoriasis, acne, and rosacea  .
Healing Honeysuckle Tea Recipe
Side Effects Of Honeysuckle