- 1 hr ago Daily Horoscope 11 December 2019
- 10 hrs ago This Viral Video Of Chimpanzee Carefully Washing A T-Shirt Will Leave You Surprised
- 10 hrs ago Man Eats 'Banana Art' Worth USD 120,000, Says He Isn't Sorry!
- 12 hrs ago This Company Will Allow Their LGBTQ+ Employees To Avail HR Benefits On Declaring Their Partner
- Finance PAN-Aadhaar Linking Deadline Nears: Here's What To Do
- Movies Happy Birthday Dilip Kumar: How Amitabh Bachchan & Shah Rukh Khan Have Hero-worshipped The Thespian
- Technology Amazon Headsets Fest Offers You Can Get On Headphones, Earphones, Truly Wireless Earbuds And More
- Sports Salzburg 0-2 Liverpool: Keita and Salah see Reds through in thrilling clash
- News Senior Shiv Sena leader hints at patch-up with BJP, says 'Uddhav will take decision at right time'
- Travel 7 Beautiful Churches in India For The Perfect Christmas Holiday
- Automobiles Orxa Mantis Electric Performance Motorcycle Revealed At India Bike Week 2019
- Education TOEFL Go! Global: A Mobile App From ETS To Stand Out In Exam
Chickenpox is a contagious disease caused by the varicella-zoster virus. It causes itchy rashes with fluid-filled blisters and flu-like symptoms. While chickenpox mostly affects children, adults can also contract it if they have been exposed to the virus. This article will focus on some of the most effective home remedies for chickenpox.
A person can come in contact with the virus by breathing in the same air as an infected person or coming in close contact with the blisters. The symptoms of chickenpox include fever, loss of appetite, headache, tiredness, and so on.
Chickenpox can create a lot of discomfort and in order to ease the discomfort and manage its symptoms, here are some effective home remedies that you could try.
Home Remedies For Chickenpox
1. Oatmeal baths
Oatmeals baths can soothe the infected skin and bring relief from the itchiness as it contains anti-inflammatory compounds called beta-glucans, which can help lower inflammation and the intensity of the itchiness  .
- Grind 1tbsp of oatmeal and soak it in a glass of warm water for a few minutes.
- Then pour this mixture in a cloth bag and tighten it.
- Place the oatmeal bag into your bath water and soak for 20 minutes.
- Do this daily, until the symptoms subside.
2. Baking soda
Baking soda contains anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties that can help soothe itchy and inflamed skin  .
- Add a cup of baking soda to your lukewarm bathwater.
- Soak yourself for 15-20 minutes.
- Do this every day.
3. Chamomile tea
Chamomile is one of the oldest and most widely used medicinal plants in the world. It is known to have antibiotic, anti-fungal, antibacterial, anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties that will reduce the itchiness and soothe the skin  .
- Brew 2-3 chamomile tea bags and allow it to cool.
- Dip a cotton ball into it and apply on the itchy areas of the skin.
- Adding few chamomile flowers to your bath water and soaking in it will also work.
- Do this daily.
4. Calamine lotion
Calamine lotion is a mixture of zinc oxide and calamine which can help reduce the itchiness and irritation in your skin caused by the blisters  .
- With the help of a cotton swab, spread calamine lotion on the itchy areas on the skin.
5. Cold compress
A cold compress can also help ease the symptoms of chickenpox. Applying a cold compress on the affected area will lower the itchiness and inflammation on the skin.
- Wrap an ice pack in a towel and apply it on the affected area.
6. Neem juice
Neem contains anti-inflammatory, antiseptic and anti-viral properties, which can give instant relief from itchiness when applied on the skin  .
- Grind a handful of neem leaves to make a paste.
- Apply this paste on the blisters and leave it on for a few hours.
7. Coconut oil
Coconut oil is an excellent home remedy for easing chickenpox symptoms. It contains lauric acid which fights off the bacteria, virus and fungi on the skin, thus eliminating itchy skin  .
- Take a few drops of coconut oil and apply it on the itchy areas.
- Leave it on for as long as possible.
- Do this 2-3 times a day.
Tips For Itchiness Caused By Chickenpox
- Cut your nails short to avoid creating cuts on your skin.
- Wear hand socks at night to avoid scratching.
- Wear loose-fitting cotton clothes.
- Pat the body dry after you bathe, instead of rubbing the skin.
-  Kurtz, E. S., & Wallo, W. (2007). Colloidal oatmeal: history, chemistry and clinical properties.Journal of drugs in dermatology: JDD,6(2), 167-170.
-  Lundberg, W. O., Halvorson, H. O., & Burr, G. O. (1944). The antioxidant properties of nordihydroguaiaretic acid.Oil & Soap,21(2), 33-35.
-  Srivastava, J. K., Shankar, E., & Gupta, S. (2010). Chamomile: A herbal medicine of the past with bright future.Molecular medicine reports,3(6), 895–901.
-  Mak, M. F., Li, W., & Mahadev, A. (2013). Calamine lotion to reduce skin irritation in children with cast immobilisation.Journal of Orthopaedic Surgery,21(2), 221-225.
-  Tiwari, V., Darmani, N. A., Yue, B. Y., & Shukla, D. (2010). In vitro antiviral activity of neem (Azardirachta indica L.) bark extract against herpes simplex virus type-1 infection.Phytotherapy research : PTR,24(8), 1132–1140.
-  Goddard, A. L., & Lio, P. A. (2015). Alternative, Complementary, and Forgotten Remedies for Atopic Dermatitis.Evidence-based complementary and alternative medicine : eCAM,2015, 676897.