- 46 min ago Trained Sniffer Dogs May Accurately Detect Covid Infected Airport Passengers: Study
- 1 hr ago Happy Shani Jayanti 2022: Greetings, Wishes, Quotes, SMS, Messages, And Images
- 2 hrs ago Instant Ragi Recipe: How To Prepare Sweet Ragi Malt
- 6 hrs ago Daily Horoscope, 18 May 2022: Today's Horoscope Predictions For All Zodiac Signs
- News Waterlogged flyovers, inundated roads, visuals from the mighty rains that lashed Bengaluru
- Technology WhatsApp Premium For Business Users Likely Under Testing
- Sports ONE 157: Petchmorakot plans to hold onto ONE Featherweight Muay Thai World Title for years
- Finance This Cement Stock Can Give 40% Returns, Recently commissioned Plants To Drive Growth
- Movies Cannes 2022: Deepika Padukone Shares Her Take On Whether OTT Platforms Are A Risk For Cinema
- Education World AIDS Vaccine Day 2022: History, Significance And Quotes About HIV Vaccine Awareness Day
- Travel International Museum Day 2022: Best Museums In Bangalore
- Automobiles Keeway K-Light 250V, Viesta 300 & Sixties 300i Revealed Ahead Of Launch
Thanksgiving is an occasion of feasting with family. Every year on the last Thursday of November, the day is celebrated with delectable meals of seasonal dishes such as pumpkin pie, cranberry sauce, roasted turkey, mashed potatoes, cornbread and many others. The day was first declared a National holiday by President Abraham Lincoln in 1863.
As the day is celebrated with most of your favourite dishes, it may cause you to gain some pounds due to high-calorie intake. Also, some of these food items can cause bloating, make you feel drowsy or cause you allergic reactions.
Therefore, before starting with the thanksgiving celebration, it is important to keep in mind some of the healthy tips so that you won't end up with digestive issues. In this article, we will discuss some important health tips to follow before and during the festival. Take a look.
Exercising every day should be a part of life. However, experts suggest that increasing the length of exercises at least a week ahead of the Thanksgiving feast helps create a calorie deficit for the day. Meaning, when you start burning extra calories a week before, you actually create an extra place for your favourite foods, without leading to weight gain.
2. Start with a small breakfast
Skipping breakfast for the big meal may cause you to eat less when it's time. Start with a small and nutritious breakfast filled with protein and fibre. These nutrients provide you with energy and keep you full so that you won't starve till the gathering. 
3. Avoid overloading with alcohol and sweetened beverages
Though alcohol and sweetened beverages are an essential part of a traditional Thanksgiving feast, their high-calorie content can't be overlooked. Instead, opt for pumpkin or fruit juices (without sugar) as they are less in calories and also satisfies your hunger. Limit the alcohol to one or two glasses or replace them with low-calorie cocktails. 
4. Use sugar substitutes
With many sugary treats on the table, it is very hard to resist them. This may spike your blood sugar levels and increase the risk of weight gain. The best way to celebrate thanksgiving is by preparing sweet items with sugar substitutes such as maple syrup, honey, yacon syrup or sugarcane juice. They will add a sugary taste to your dishes and won't increase the overall calories. 
5. Choose foods wisely
Reaching out to each and every food and drink on the table is not only bad for your digestion but for your overall health. Choose foods wisely by adding more vegetables (sauteed not fried) such as green beans, mushrooms, thyme and fewer meat items on your plate. Also, prefer adding lemon or pumpkin juice instead of sweetened beverages.
6. Reach out for soups and vegetables
Soups and vegetables are healthy options when it comes to a feast. Add soups made with tomatoes, onion, mushroom and cabbage and choose healthy vegetarian options such as pasta made with Brussel sprouts, garlic and beans instead of creams.
7. Opt for a smaller plate
The best way to trick your mind and eyes for a smaller meal is by taking foods in a smaller dinner plate. Though the trick doesn't work for all, to some extent, we can actually limit the portion and calorie intake compared to eating on a larger plate. 
8. Eat slowly
Eating slowly is an effective strategy to reduce food intake. Chewing foods slowly helps reduce our satiety and keep glucose levels at normal while the opposite tends to increase blood glucose suddenly.  Therefore, take your time and chew foods slowly before swallowing them.
9. Spend quality time with family and friend
Thanksgiving is not only about foods but about enjoying the gathering with friends and family. Spend quality time with your loved ones by talking to them and focus less on foods. In this way, you can also limit your calorie intake and stay healthy.
10. Stay hydrated after the meal
After the feast is over, focus on drinking water for easy digestion. Remember not to drink water just after the meal. Wait for around an hour and keep sipping water so that your body can effectively absorb the nutrients.
11. Don’t forget to brush
Last but not the least, don't forget to brush your teeth after a heavy gourmet as it helps prevent the risk of oral diseases such as plaque or periodontitis. Brushing before bed cleans up the leftovers in your mouth and decrease the risk of oral diseases by 20-35 per cent. 
- insync400 Years of Thanksgiving: More Important Than Christmas
- lifeBittersweet Thanksgiving 2020 For Grandma Who Accidentally Texted US Teen In 2016 For Dinner
- lifeBlack Friday 2019: Know What It Is And Its Significance
- lifeThanksgiving Day 2021: Date, History And Tradition Of The Day
- pulseThings We Look Forward To On Thanksgiving
- nutritionHealth Benefits Of Turkey
- decorDecorate Home For Thanksgiving
- wellnessTips To Avoid Weight Gain On Thanksgiving
- pulseWhy Is It Called Black Friday?
- improvementThanksgiving 2020: 8 Tips To Clean Home After This Festival
- pulseBlack Friday Shopping: Bargain Tips
- faith mysticismHarvest Festivals Around The World