- 1 hr ago Daily Horoscope, 06 October 2022: Today's Horoscope Predictions For All Zodiac Signs
- 17 hrs ago Tribute: American Country Music Icon Loretta Lynn No More At 90
- 18 hrs ago Navratri 2022: Goddess Chamunda Shakti Peeth Of Himachal Pradesh
- 20 hrs ago Balaji (Hanuman) of Mehandipur In Rajasthan: Timings, How To Reach, Puja Rituals And Legends
- Movies Godfather Day 1 Box Office Collection Worldwide: Chiranjeevi's Film Opens On An Average Note!
- Sports Legends League Cricket: Full List of Award Winners, Player of the Match, Player of the Tournament
- Finance Prabhudas Lilladher Picks 5 Stocks To Buy Amid Festive Cheer For Gains Up To 20%
- News In Pics: Effigies of Ravana go up in flames as India celebrates Dussehra
- Education JIO ANNOUNCES THE LAUNCH OF JIO TRUE 5G
- Automobiles Mahindra XUV300 Sportz Edition Spotted - Comes With More Power & A Few Visual Tweaks
- Travel Most Interesting Facts About Kullu Dussehra
- Technology Google Pixel 7 vs Pixel 7 Pro: What Differences Can We Expect?
Earth day is celebrated every year on 22 April to mark the anniversary of the modern environmental movement started in the United States in the year 1970. The day is meant to provide support for environmental protection from emerging environmental issues of the world. This year, the 51st anniversary of Earth Day will be observed.
We know how important our mother earth is for the existence of human beings and millions of other living beings in this ecosystem. Also, since the beginning of the coronavirus pandemic, we have realised how important it is to stay healthy and fit as it is the need of the hour.
Therefore, on the occasion of Earth Day, we will bring to you some effective eco-friendly ways to improve your health and stay fit. It is recommended to follow these tips as they may help you in the long run.
1. Shift To Organic Foods
Organic foods are foods that are grown without the use of artificial synthetics such as fertiliser, pesticides, radiation or genetically modified organisms. They are high in antioxidants and omega-3 fatty acids, and low in toxic metals such as cadmium, compared to non-organic foods.
Shift to organic foods as they may offer a healthy lifestyle, and also reduce environmental pollution and enhance soil and water quality. To do that, you can choose to buy foods from local markets, eat the meat from animals that are given organic feed and avoid too many processed foods.
2. Reduce Exposure To toxins
A small number of toxins such as formaldehyde and phosphates are found in most of the useful market products such as deodorants, scented candles and air freshener. Though the quantity is adjusted as per the government guidelines, regular exposure to these products could increase the risk of diseases such as asthma and cancer.
Lower your exposure to such an extent by avoiding the use of these things every day. For example, you can prepare your own skin products at home by using natural herbs such as aloe vera and turmeric. To freshen up the home, you can use natural flowers.
- diabetesRamadan 2021: Is It Safe For People With Diabetes To Fast? COVID-19, Associated Risks And Management
3. Minimise Intake Of Meat Products
Animal meat products are a good source of vitamin B12, omega-3 and protein that helps in the formation of red blood cells, growth of the body and many others. However, overconsumption of these products can increase the risk of heart diseases and cholesterol.
Experts suggest that abstaining totally from eating meat products may cause deficiency of the aforementioned nutrients. Therefore, minimising the intake is the best way to get their health benefits and also protect the environment.
4. Grow Your Own Foods
Growing your own foods can help save money, improve your health and keep you connected to nature. A study has shown that gardening can help reduce psychological problems such as mood change, anxiety, stress, anger, sadness and other mental health conditions. 
Also, when you grow your own food, the chances of getting exposed to the harmful effects of synthetic materials such as pesticides will become less. The best way is to start with growing herbs such as mint, spring onions, tomatoes, beetroot and peas.
5. Prefer Cycling Instead Of Fuel Vehicles
The combustion of fossil fuels from vehicles is one of the top causes of air pollution. The toxic fumes that come out from vehicles are responsible to trigger respiratory problems such as asthma or worsen them. Also, the earth is running low on fossil fuels day by day.
The best and healthiest way to prevent these is by starting cycling or walking. These physical activities not only help improve the overall health but are also eco-friendly. You can choose to cycle to your school, office or nearby shops and reduce the combustion of fuels to a certain extent.
6. Plant Trees
Trees and plants have a great role in supporting our life cycle on the planet. They produce oxygen which is a lifeline for human beings and absorb carbon dioxide to reduce pollution.
Planting trees is also a great alternative to work out. According to a study, forest therapy is vital for health promotion and disease prevention. It may help reduce anxiety, stress and improve cognitive functions, immune functions and overall quality of life. Therefore, keep planting trees as much as you can and surround yourself with nature. 
- disorders-cureCOVID-19 And Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome (POTS): Causes, Symptoms And Treatments
7. Focus On Reusable Items
Using reusable items is an environmentally friendly way to reduce the waste on the planet and prevent land, water and air pollution to a certain extent. Non-biodegradable wastes such as plastic cannot be broken down by natural organisms, even after thousand years and thus, keep causing pollution.
Reusable items are the best alternative as they decompose easily and do not pollute the environment. Some of the examples of reusable items include glass jars, newspaper, etc.
8. Sunlight Is Essential
Sunlight is the best source of vitamin D which is required by our body to build stronger bones, teeth and muscles and prevent the risk of bone-related diseases such as osteoporosis.
In spite of that, people nowadays don't take out time from their busy lives and spend 10 minutes in the morning sunlight and get its benefits. Boost the amount of vitamin D in your body by spending around 10-15 every day in the morning sunlight (till 7 am) and stay fit and healthy. Avoid staying in the sun after 10 am. 
9. Reduce Usage Of Mobile Phones
Electronic devices such as phones and computers have made life easy but they have also increased the burden on health and natural resources. In the manufacturing of these phones, toxic metals such as aluminium, silicon, plastic and iron are used which are generating a huge amount of waste.
Nowadays, it may be difficult for you to totally disconnect from the digital world. Therefore, start with small steps such as unplugging yourself from devices for a few hours and focusing on your well-being or reading a book or practising yoga, instead of binge-watching TV shows.
10. Save Water
A study has shown that water is essential for sustaining life as it helps in almost all of the body functions. Apart from that, water is also essential to carry out our daily activities such as bathing, washing clothes and plantation. 
As we know, the availability of usable water is degrading day by day, therefore make effort to save this natural resource. To do that you can do things like taking short showers, brushing teeth without a tap on and installing low flow showers.
11. Create Less Waste
Last but not the least, creating less waste is an important step to reduce pollution and keep the environment pollution-free and ultimately, keep ourselves healthy and fit.
Perform all of the aforementioned actions such as using reusable items, planting trees and reducing the use of fuel vehicles to reducing waste. Remember, the first step to reducing waste starts at home.
- lifeEarth Day 2022: Amazing Quotes And Wishes To Honour The Day
- pulseEarth Day 2022: Date, Theme, History And Significance
- lifeEarth Day 2020: Google Celebrates The 50th Anniversary Of Earth Day With ‘Bees’ And A Short Game
- zodiac signsPink Moon 2020: How It Will Affect Zodiac Signs
- pulseWhat Would Happen When The World Will Stop Spinning?
- lifeWhy So Many Earthquakes Strike Japan?
- lifeThe Most Toxic Places On Earth
- fashionEarth Day 2016: Everything You Need To Know About Being A Green Fashionista
- pulseCan â€œEarthâ€ Be Cared For Only A Month?
- pulseGisele Bundchen's Cartoon Series For Children
- insyncJohn Travolta To Fly To Haiti
- insyncKirk Douglas Salutes America For Supporting Haiti