- 4 hrs ago Daily Horoscope, 08 August 2022: Today's Horoscope Predictions For All Zodiac Signs
- 5 hrs ago Amazon Great Freedom Sale 2022: Bring Home Boho Home Furnishing Items And Save Up To 70%
- 12 hrs ago Dustin Hoffman Birthday Special Irresistibly Versatile Actor Turns 85
- 20 hrs ago It’s Raining Offers On Amazon: Bag 60% Off On Handbags Today!
- News Odisha, Bengal brace for heavy rain; IMD issues yellow alert for Mumbai
- Movies Laal Singh Chaddha: Hyderabad Screening Attended By Prominent Names
- Finance Irdai, To Revamp Grievance Redressal Mechanism, To Rename It 'Bima Bharosa'
- Technology Wordle For August 8: Hints, Clues For Today’s Impossible Wordle
- Sports Commonwealth Games 2022, Day 11: India Schedule, Events List On August 8, Live Streaming, IST Time, TV Channel
- Education How Can MSc Business Analytics Boost Your Career Growth?
- Automobiles Royal Enfield Hunter 350 Launched At Rs 1,49,900 - The Lightest Enfield
- Travel Phang Nga Bay: James Bond Island
India's drug regulator has granted restricted emergency use authorisation to Serum Institute's COVID-19 vaccine Covovax for the 12-17 years age group subject to certain conditions.
Confirming the DCGI approval, Serum Institute of India CEO Adar Poonawalla on Tuesday tweeted:"@SerumInstIndia's brand Covovax has completed bridging studies in India and has been granted Emergency Use Authorisation by DCGI for adults and for children above the age of 12. Younger age groups will follow shortly."
It is the fourth vaccine to receive the regulator's nod for use among those below 18 years. However, only one vaccine --Bharat Biotech's Covaxin-- is used for the 15-18 years age group in the vaccination drive in the country after the government approval.
The Drugs Controller General Of India's (DCGI) approval comes after the Subject Expert Committee on COVID-19 of the CDSCO last week recommended granting emergency use authorisation (EUA) to Covovax for those aged 12 to 17.
The government has still not taken a decision on vaccinating those aged below 15 years and the health ministry has consistently said that additional need for vaccination and inclusion of population for vaccination are examined constantly.
In the EUA application to DCGI on February 21, Prakash Kumar Singh, director (government and regulatory affairs) at SII had stated that the data from two studies on about 2707 children aged 12 to 17 years show that Covovax is highly efficacious, immunogenic, safe and well-tolerated in this age group of children.
Singh in his application had said, "this approval will not only be beneficial for our country alone, but will benefit the entire world, fulfilling our prime minister's vision of 'making in India for the world'.
"In line with the philosophy of our CEO, Dr Adar C Poonawalla, we are sure that Covovax will play an important role to protect the children of our country and the world at large against COVID-19 disease and will keep our national flag flying high globally", according to an official source.
The DCGI has already approved Covovax for restricted use in emergency situations in adults on December 28. It has not yet been included in the country's vaccination drive.
The DCGI on February 21 granted restricted EUA to Biological E's COVID-19 vaccine Corbevax for the 12-18 years age group subject to certain conditions.
Covovax is manufactured by technology transfer from Novavax and is approved by the European Medicines Agency for conditional marketing authorisation and also granted emergency use listing by WHO on December 2017, 2020.
ZyCov-D is the first vaccine cleared by India's drug regulator for inoculation of those aged 12 years and above in August last year. Indigenously developed Covaxin received approval for emergency use in 12 to 18 in December last year.
- wellnessGovt Panel Recommends Emergency Approval For SII's Covovax For 7-11 Year Olds
- kidsDCGI Panel To Review On Friday SII Applications For Covovax’s Use Among Kids Aged 2-7 Yrs, 7-11 Yrs
- basicsNovavax's Covid-19 Vaccine Covovax Gets Emergency Use Authorisation For 12-17 Age Group In India
- kidsSerum Institute Seeks Covovax's Inclusion In Covid Vaccination Drive For 12 Years And Over
- wellnessGovt Panel Recommends Permission For Phase-3 Trial Of Covovax As Booster Dose In Adults
- wellnessSII Seeks Permission For Phase-3 Study Of Covid Vaccine Covovax As Booster Dose In Adults
- healthIndia-US Healthcare Collaboration In Spotlight As India Approves Two More Covid-19 Vaccines
- healthCovovax Better Booster For Covishield-Vaccinated People: Dr Shahid Jameel, Virologist
- wellnessCovovax: Everything You Need To Know About The Novavax COVID-19 Vaccine Approved For India
- healthCovovax Approval To Strengthen Immunisation Efforts In India, Lower & Middle-Income Countries: SII
- healthPanel Recommends EUA For Covid-19 Vaccines Covovax, Corbevax And Anti-Covid Pill Molnupiravir
- healthSerum Institute CEO Hails WHO's Approval Of Covovax For Emergency Use