- 5 hrs ago 5 DIY Face Scrubs For The Radiant Glow
- 8 hrs ago Happy Durga Puja 2022: Wishes, Images, Quotes, Photos, Greetings & Whatsapp Status
- 9 hrs ago GQ Best Dressed Awards 2022: Nora Fatehi, Esha Gupta, Pooja Hegde & Others Dazzle At The Red Carpet
- 10 hrs ago Navratri 2022: Durga Ashtami Timings, Puja Rituals, Fasts And Legends
- News Kanpur accident: At least 22 killed as tractor carrying pilgrims overturns
- Finance Cryptocurrency Fails To Stabilize, Market-cap Slips 1.39%: Bitcoin Plunges To US$ 19,286
- Sports Premier League: Liverpool 3-3 Brighton and Hove Albion: Trossard hat-trick denies Reds in Anfield thriller
- Movies Bigg Boss Telugu 6 Elimination Week 4: Will It Be Arohi?
- Education IGNOU Exam Form 2022 Out for December Term End Examinations, Apply Now at ignou.ac.in
- Automobiles 2023 Tata Harrier Spotted Testing - Gets ADAS, New Design & More
- Technology Realme Smartphones Receiving Updates For Jio 5G Support
- Travel List of The Shortest Rivers In The World
So much has been talked about the symptoms of coronavirus and their appearance. By now, you know that fever, shortness of breath and dry cough are the typical symptoms of novel coronavirus. A dry cough is very easy to detect. But what does dry cough mean and how is it different from wet cough? We will explain.
Difference Between Dry Cough And Wet Cough
What Is A Dry Cough?
According to NHS, "A dry cough means it's tickly and doesn't produce any phlegm (thick mucus)". A dry cough is also known as non-productive cough which causes irritation such as a scratchy or ticklish sensation in the throat due to the inflammation in the respiratory tract.
The most common causes of dry cough are asthma, gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), viral infection, postnasal drip and the less common causes are environmental irritants, whooping cough, ACE inhibitors, lung cancer and heart failure.
What Is A Wet Cough?
As per the NHS, "A chesty cough means phlegm is produced to help clear your airways". A chesty or wet cough, also known as productive cough is a type of cough that brings the mucus up to the throat and while coughing, you can hear the gurgling noise.
Wet cough is often caused by bacteria or viruses, which cause cold or flu. If you have a persistent wet cough, it can be due to bronchitis, pneumonia, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), asthma and cystic fibrosis.
What Do The Studies Say?
A study published in the journal The Lancet found that 36 children were infected with coronavirus. Thirteen children had fever and seven children had dry cough .
According to a World Health Organization (WHO) report, as of 20 February 2020, based on 55924 confirmed cases, the typical signs and symptoms are fever (87.9 per cent) and dry cough (67.7 per cent).
Coronavirus Scare: When Should You Consult A Doctor?
If you have been suffering from a dry cough and suspect of coronavirus infection, you should consult a doctor immediately.
What Is The Current Scenario Of Coronavirus Cases?
Till date, positive cases of coronavirus have climbed up to 1,119,109 and 58,955 deaths have occurred worldwide as per Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Coronavirus Resource Center.
- wellnessCoronavirus Residues Might Be Causing Long COVID: New Study
- wellnessCentury-Old TB Vaccine Could Be Effective Against Covid-19 And Other Infections: New Study
- disorders cureCovid-19 Patients At Risk Of Neurological & Psychiatric Conditions Two Years After The Infection: New Study
- wellnessCOVID In Smokers: An Expert Explains
- disorders cureWhat Is ‘Centaurus,’ New Fast-Spreading Covid Variant: Everything You Need To Know
- health75 Years Of Independence, 75 Days Of Free COVID Booster Shots; For Everyone Aged 18-59 From 15 July
- wellnessWhat Are The Health Risks Of Getting COVID The Second Or Third Time? 7 Important Points
- wellnessIncrease In Vaccination Reduced Covid-19 Fatalities In TN: Health Minister
- wellnessBA.2.38 Has Not Led To Any Increase In Hospitalisation, Disease Severity: INSACOG Reports
- wellness579 Fresh Covid Cases, Positivity Rate Declines To 3.46% In Delhi
- wellnessMajority Of Patients Who Have Recovered From Covid Experienced Stigma: Study
- wellnessNiti Aayog Releases Compendium Of Ayush Practices To Manage Covid-19