- 7 min ago Deepika Padukone And Ranveer Singh Flaunt Vibrant Outfits At Harmandir Sahib
- 10 min ago I-Virgin: Know About The Pill To Fake Virginity On 'The First Night'
- 1 hr ago 10 Plants And Trees That Has Spiritual Significance In India
- 2 hrs ago 7 Reasons How Your Parents Can Cause Conflict In Your Relationship
- Technology Vivo V17 Leaked Images Reveal 48MP Diamond-Shaped Quad Cameras
- Finance Places Where You Can Sell Gold Jewellery For Cash In India
- Sports Sporting 'Balidaan Badge' MS Dhoni celebrates Children's Day with students in Ranchi
- News IAF chief Bhadauria flies 'Made in India' HTT-40 aircraft in HAL Bengaluru
- Movies Paras Chhabra's GF Akanksha Puri Reveals Why She Turned Down Bigg Boss 13 Wild Card Entry Offer
- Automobiles Maruti Suzuki Starts Winter Service Camp: Offers Free Check Ups, Complimentary Washes & More
- Education Delhi Nursery Admission 2020-21: Explore Admission Schedule And Registration Details
- Travel Kalady – The Land Of Holy Shrines
Known by various names such as golden root, rose root, Aaron's rod, Arctic root, king's crown etc. Rhodiola rosea belongs to the family Crassulaceae. Globally available and extremely versatile in nature, Rhodiola rosea has several stems growing from the same root, topped by small yellowish-white flowers. The herb has been in use for thousands of years, especially in traditional medicine due to the presence of phenols, alkaloids, flavonoids, and quinones  .
The name golden root given to the plant can be accorded to the plethora of benefits possessed by the plant's root. The roots of Rhodiola rosea are dried, powdered, and made into a beneficial tea which has been popular in Chinese and Indian traditional medicine field for several years. The most popular benefit of the herb is the effect it has on treating anxiety and stress; something that is evidently prominent in the society currently  .
The extremely beneficial roots of the herb are considered adaptogens and contain more than 140 active ingredients, with rosavin and salidroside being the most potent ones. Apart from its ability to treat anxiety, Rhodiola has gained popularity for its ability to improve the overall health resulting in the herb being widely used as a dietary supplement  .
Health Benefits Of Rhodiola
From boosting your energy levels, immune system to relieving depression and strengthening the nervous system - Rhodiola can benefit your body is so many different ways  ,  ,  ,  ,  ,  ,  .
1. Relieves stress
Rhodiola is widely known for its calming properties. Globally used for its effectiveness, the chemical constituents present in the herb affect the hormonal levels of your body to induce relaxation. Rhodiola herbal teas are one of the most sought after method of de-stressing.
2. Aids weight loss
Rhodiola extracts help the release of adipose tissue, which then results in the healthy loss of extra fat from your body. Golden root or Rhodiola speeds up the performance of the fat-burning cells in your body, thereby speeding up your weight loss journey.
3. Improves heart health
Dubbed as king's crown and various others, the herb is extremely beneficial in protecting your cardiovascular health. Consuming the supplements can help reduce the levels of corticosteroids and catecholamines released by the body and help prevent higher blood pressure, heart disease, and dangerous levels of potassium. The herb also helps eliminate heart arrhythmias, and reduce the chances of atherosclerosis, heart attacks, and strokes.
4. Boots energy
The active compounds present in the herb help improve your metabolism and promote better oxygen and blood flow. This helps in improving your overall energy, increasing your energy levels.
5. Improves cognition
Rhodiola is beneficial in improving memory and concentration. It is evidently beneficial for individuals suffering from the side effects of ageing by preventing the onset of dementia or Alzheimer's.
6. Relieves depression
Amongst the plethora of benefits possessed by the herb, the most beneficial and effective one is its ability to manage depressive symptoms. The organic compounds present in Rhodiola have adaptogenic properties which help regulate your hormonal and metabolic states, which results in improving your overall mental state.
7. Prevents cancer
Rhodiola is regarded as a folk remedy in the prevention of cancer. The high concentration of antioxidants protects your body from radical that can contribute towards the onset of cancer. Rhodiola help increases the body's natural resistance to toxins, and have anti-proliferative properties.
8. Improves immune system
The herb helps stimulate the production of NK cells in the stomach and spleen, which directly impacts your immune system. It can help improve your immune response.
9. Treats erectile dysfunction
Along with all these fascinating benefits, Rhodiola is also beneficial in improving one's sexual health. Traditional as well as modern methods have prescribed the herb for treating erectile dysfunction and premature ejaculation. Thus, it helps improve fertility and libido.
10. Manages blood sugar levels
Various studies have been conducted on exploring this aspect and it has been asserted that Rhodiola can even provide benefits for those who have blood sugar problems, diabetes, or hyperglycaemia.
Dosage Of Rhodiola
The herb is available in the form of capsules, tablets, dried powder, and liquid extract. The dosage varies between brands and product types  .
The correct dosage of the herb for improving symptoms of stress, fatigue or depression is 400-600 mg, single dose per day  .
For the performance enhancing effects, take 200-300 mg an hour or two before exercise  .
Note: Consult a doctor before incorporating the herb and its supplements into your diet.
- 5 g of Rhodiola root
- 1 cup water
- fruit juice, optional
- Finely chop the Rhodiola root.
- Place the chopped root in a container and pour 1 cup of boiling water over it.
- Allow the tea to brew for 4 hours and filter.
- Add the fruit juice of your option and mix.
Side Effects Of Rhodiola
Some of the adverse effects of the herb are as follows  :
- Dry mouth
- Sleep problems
- Jitteriness and irritability
- Chest tightness
- Increased blood pressure
Individuals taking prescription medication should be careful while using Rhodiola as it can have severe interactions with antidepressants  .
Likewise, individuals taking diabetes medication and blood pressure medication should stay away from the herb.
-  Adaptogen, A. P. P. (2001). Rhodiola rosea: a possible plant adaptogen.Altern Med Rev,6(3), 293-302.
-  Brown, R. P., Gerbarg, P. L., & Ramazanov, Z. (2002). Rhodiola rosea.A phytomedicinal overview. HerbalGram,56, 40-52.
-  Panossian, A., Wikman, G., & Sarris, J. (2010). Rosenroot (Rhodiola rosea): traditional use, chemical composition, pharmacology and clinical efficacy.Phytomedicine,17(7), 481-493.
-  De Bock, K., Eijnde, B. O., Ramaekers, M., & Hespel, P. (2004). Acute Rhodiola rosea intake can improve endurance exercise performance.International journal of sport nutrition and exercise metabolism,14(3), 298-307.
-  Ming, D. S., Hillhouse, B. J., Guns, E. S., Eberding, A., Xie, S., Vimalanathan, S., & Towers, G. N. (2005). Bioactive compounds from Rhodiola Rosea (Crassulaceae). Phytotherapy Research: An International Journal Devoted to Pharmacological and Toxicological Evaluation of Natural Product Derivatives,19(9), 740-743.
-  Van Diermen, D., Marston, A., Bravo, J., Reist, M., Carrupt, P. A., & Hostettmann, K. (2009). Monoamine oxidase inhibition by Rhodiola rosea L. roots.Journal of ethnopharmacology,122(2), 397-401.
-  Abidov, M., Crendal, F., Grachev, S., Seifulla, R., & Ziegenfuss, T. (2003). Effect of extracts from Rhodiola rosea and Rhodiola crenulata (Crassulaceae) roots on ATP content in mitochondria of skeletal muscles.Bulletin of experimental biology and medicine,136(6), 585-587.
-  Khanum, F., Bawa, A. S., & Singh, B. (2005). Rhodiola rosea: a versatile adaptogen.Comprehensive reviews in food science and food safety,4(3), 55-62.
-  Rohloff, J. (2002). Volatiles from rhizomes of Rhodiola rosea L.Phytochemistry,59(6), 655-661.
-  Darbinyan, V., Aslanyan, G., Amroyan, E., Gabrielyan, E., Malmström, C., & Panossian, A. (2007). Clinical trial of Rhodiola rosea L. extract SHR-5 in the treatment of mild to moderate depression.Nordic journal of psychiatry,61(5), 343-348.
-  Gerbarg, P. L., & Brown, R. P. (2017). Integrating Rhodiola rosea in Clinical Practice.Complementary and Integrative Treatments in Psychiatric Practice, 135.
-  Gerbarg, P. L., & Brown, R. P. (2016). Pause menopause with Rhodiola rosea, a natural selective estrogen receptor modulator.Phytomedicine,23(7), 763-769.
-  Mao, J. J., Xie, S. X., Zee, J., Soeller, I., Li, Q. S., Rockwell, K., & Amsterdam, J. D. (2015). Rhodiola rosea versus sertraline for major depressive disorder: A randomized placebo-controlled trial.Phytomedicine,22(3), 394-399.
-  Wonderful Ingredients.(n.d.) stress tonic: Rhodiola tea [Blog post]. Retrieved from, http://www.wonderfulingredients.com/stress-tonic---rhodiola-tea
-  Mao, J. J., Xie, S. X., Zee, J., Soeller, I., Li, Q. S., Rockwell, K., & Amsterdam, J. D. (2015). Rhodiola rosea versus sertraline for major depressive disorder: A randomized placebo-controlled trial. Phytomedicine, 22(3), 394-399.
-  Coors, A., Brosch, M., Kahl, E., Khalil, R., Michels, B., Laub, A., ... & Fendt, M. (2019). Rhodiola rosea root extract has antipsychotic-like effects in rodent models of sensorimotor gating.Journal of ethnopharmacology,235, 320-328.
-  https://integratedsupplements.com/
-  https://www.vecteezy.com/vector-art/107482-free-mount-everest-vector-design
-  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Linnaeus#/media/File:Carl_von_Linn%C3%A9,_1707-1778,_botanist,_professor_(Alexander_Roslin)_-_Nationalmuseum_-_15723.tif
-  https://www.istockphoto.com/in/photo/rhodiola-rosea-arctic-flower-close-up-view-gm889086322-246544526