- 57 min ago Dog Bite: From First Aid Treatment To Preventing It, Here's All You Need To Know
- 2 hrs ago UK-based Same-sex Couple Become The First To Carry Baby In Both Of Their Wombs Through IVF
- 2 hrs ago Neena Gupta's Frock Look Is Winning The Internet And We Love It
- 3 hrs ago Ananya Panday’s Bronze Make-up Look For Star Screen Awards Is A Red Carpet Win
- Sports Ranji Trophy: Uthappa hundred takes Kerala to 276/3 as Delhi spinners falter on opening day
- Movies Bigg Boss 13 Day 64 - Will Madhurima And Vishal Give A Second Chance To Their Broken Relationship?
- Technology Samsung Galaxy A51, A71, S10 Lite, Note 10 Lite Prices Leak
- News Honeypreet meets Sirsa Dera chief Gurmeet Ram Rahim at Rohtak jail
- Automobiles Orxa Mantis Electric Performance Motorcycle Revealed At India Bike Week 2019
- Finance Petrol Price Rises To One-Year High; Price In Delhi Rs. 75/Lt
- Travel Darjeeling - The Queen Of Hills
- Education TOEFL Go! Global: A Mobile App From ETS To Stand Out In Exam
Osteoarthritis is a degenerative joint disease that occurs when there is an inflammation of the joints caused by the wear and tear of the cartilage tissues connecting the joints of the body. The cartilage weakens and gets damaged, causing osteoarthritis.
Some of the common symptoms of osteoarthritis are:
- Pain in the joints of the neck, hands, fingers, hips, elbows, knees, lower back, etc.
- Body pain during cold weather
- Stiffness, swelling, crackling and tenderness of the joints
- Difficulty in grip and movement
- Bony outgrowth on the finger and toes
So, here are some of the foods which one must avoid when they are suffering from osteoarthritis.
1. Bakery Food
If you are someone who enjoys treats such as cakes, white bread sandwiches, cookies, puffs, buns, etc., then you must let them go if you are suffering from osteoarthritis, because there is a high amount of processed sugar in those foods along with starch and yeast. The processed sugar content, along with the other ingredients can worsen the joint inflammation and increase the effects of the disease.
2. Salt-rich Foods
Consuming foods with high amounts of salt, or sodium, such as fast foods, pizza, burgers, fries, chips, etc., and also, adding more sugar than needed for the taste to your home-cooked meals can also worsen the symptoms of arthritis and come in the way of the treatment. This is because the excess salt in the body leads to water retention in the cells of the joints. When the water is retained, it causes swelling and inflammation in the joints, which further affects the inflammatory symptoms of osteoarthritis.
3. Fried Foods
Most of us like to enjoy yummy fried foods and "comfort foods" like chips, fries, bajjis, samosas, etc., often. While fried foods have their own set of health hazards for people without osteoarthritis, they can prove to be even worse for people with the disease. This is because consuming fried foods frequently can increase the cholesterol levels of your body, which in turn can worsen the inflammation of the joint and cause more pain to people with osteoarthritis.
4. Red Meat
Beef, mutton, pork, goat meat, veal, etc., are all commonly consumed red meat, which must be avoided by people with osteoporosis. This is because red meat is high in omega-6 fatty acids, which are not healthy fats. When the body accumulates a lot of omega-6 fatty acids, the cholesterol levels and the fat cells can increase, causing the inflammation of the joints to worsen in people with osteoarthritis.
5. Dairy Products
A research study has found that consuming dairy products such as, milk, curd, cheese, butter, etc., on a regular basis can have adverse effects on people suffering from osteoarthritis. This is because dairy products can have inflammatory effects on some people, thus further worsening their joint inflammations and increasing the symptoms of osteoporosis. However, the study also noticed that, consuming ghee, which is also a dairy product is beneficial for osteoarthritis, as the omega-3 fatty acids in ghee can lubricate the joints and reduce the stiffness.
Although it is a beverage and not a food type, alcohol also makes to this list of foods that must be avoided by people who have arthritis. Any type of alcohol is highly inflammatory in nature and consuming even small quantities can trigger the inflammation of the joints and worsen the symptoms of osteoarthritis.