- 43 min ago 7 Surprising Benefits Of Working Out With A Partner
- 1 hr ago Janhvi Kapoor And Arjun Kapoor Grace The Ramp In Fascinating Outfits At Blenders Pride Fashion Tour
- 1 hr ago How Does Alcohol Affect Your Workout?
- 2 hrs ago Deepika Padukone's Fashion Playlist Includes A Louis Vuitton Campaign And Two White Outfits
- Sports Boxing: Haryana girls showcase a clinical performance at Khelo India 2020; U17 girls bagged 6 gold medals
- News CISF jawan posted at Mukesh Ambani's Antilia shoots himself, dies
- Movies Bigg Boss Kannada 7 - Ticket To Finale Task Is Announced, Deepika Das Wins The First Medal
- Technology Exclusive: IQOO To Launch Smartphone In February, Sets 1 Million Sales Target
- Finance Best Travel Credit Cards in India
- Automobiles Tata Altroz Launched In India Starting At Rs 5.29 Lakh Ex-Showroom
- Travel 10 Best Places To Visit In Jammu and Kashmir In 2020
- Education IIM Bangalore Women In Leadership Course Tanmatra
Menstruation and menopause are a part of a woman's biological cycle. Menstruation marks a woman's puberty and indicates that she is fertile to reproduce while menopause indicates the halt of her fertility.
The average age for menopause observed in women in the US is 51 years. It is accompanied by various symptoms which include mood swings, hot flashes, night sweats, urinary problems, etc. These symptoms can be experienced by women before their last period and they may even extend for some months or years after that.
What Causes Itching During Menopause?
Menopause is a natural condition which marks the end of fertility in women. Mood swings, cognitive changes, hot flashes, vaginal dryness, night sweats, disturbance in sleeping, irregular periods and emotional changes are the symptoms marking the onset of menopause. Obesity, fat build-up in the abdomen, shrinking of the breasts and hair loss are some other effects of menopause.
Lack of estrogen occurs during or post menopause; this hormone plays a crucial role in building blocks of skin. Loss of this hormone can result in thin and itchy skin which affects the genitals, body as well as the face. This symptom is also called vulvar pruritus; it is capable of triggering pain and even makes sexual intercourse painful.
Pruritus can result in bumps on the skin, rashes, reddening of skin and dry skin.
Home Remedies That Can Help In Getting Rid Of Itching Due To Menopause:
- Moisturization:Do keep your skin moisturised after bathing and whenever you feel your skin is dry.
Doing so will help in reducing itching-related dryness. If the itching is too severe or you suffer from pruritus, use odour-free moisturizer, specially natural ones like coconut oil or aloe vera gel to get more benefits.
- Bath in oatmeal:Use powdered oatmeal or colloidal oatmeal by adding it in warm bath. Oatmeals comprise of fibre and cellulose; when the skin absorbs these, it helps in softening the skin. Avoid using hot water for bathing as it dries the skin further and triggers itchiness and skin irritation.
- Wet compress:Using cool compress by wetting clothes and keeping it on the dry itchy region of the body can help in soothing the irritation. The wet compress will help in keeping the skin moist and even prevent disturbance while sleeping.
- Complications such as cardiovascular diseases which are linked with lack of estrogen in the body, urinary incontinence or involuntary urination due to lack of elasticity and osteoporosis due to low bone density can develop in women having menopause.
- Wrinkles, skin pigmentation, acne and rashes are some other issues women undergoing menopause might suffer from.