- 9 hrs ago Priyanka Chopra Jonas Beckons Us To Pair Cycling Shorts With A Breezy Top
- 10 hrs ago Daughters Day 2019: 7 Ways How A Liberal Upbringing Can Help Daughters To Become Strong Women
- 10 hrs ago Navratri 2019: Messages & Greetings To Send To Your Loved Ones
- 11 hrs ago Saif Ali Khan And Soha Ali Khan Inspire Us To Wear Understated Outfits This Durga Puja
- News Who is Junko Tabei to whom today's Google Doodle is dedicated
- Technology Flipkart Big Billion Days Sale: Best Smartphones Priced Under Rs. 3,999
- Automobiles Gaurav Gill Involved In An Accident During The INRC At Jodhpur: Three Dead Including A Minor
- Movies Ranveer Singh, Alia Bhatt Are ECSTATIC About Gully Boy’s Oscar Entry; 'Making A Mark On World Stage'
- Sports PKL 2019: Clinical UP Yoddha end Tamil Thalaivas' playoff chances
- Finance Still Waiting For Income Tax Refund: You Might Have Gone Wrong Here
- Education Top 10 Indian Universities In QS Graduate Employability Rankings 2020
- Travel How To Spend 3 Days In Goa: A Complete Travel Guide
Have you ever thought that the small garlic pod could cause serious side effects? No, there's nothing to worry about! Having raw garlic or consuming too much of garlic can have side effects on the body which can be life-threatening.
Garlic is a common ingredient used in all types of cooking, mostly Indian cooking to enhance the flavour and taste. Not only garlic is used in cooking, it is also used in traditional medicine.
Garlic contains many essential minerals like calcium, iron, iodine, sulfur, etc. which helps in reducing many ailments. It benefits the body in many ways which includes lowering blood pressure and cholesterol, fighting infection and boosting the immune system.
But, over consumption of garlic or eating them raw could affect the health in many ways. Let's have a look at some of the side effects of garlic, shall we?
1. Might Hurt The Liver
Excess consumption of garlic could hurt the liver, which is one of the most vital organs of the body. A noted Indian study has mentioned that if garlic is consumed in large quantities, it could lead to liver toxicity because garlic contains allicin, a compound which when had in higher quantities could hurt the liver.
Diarrhoea can be caused if you consume garlic on an empty stomach. People who suffer with gas most often shouldn't have garlic. It is because garlic contains fructans that can cause bloating which causes gas in the stomach. So, if you are a person who suffers from gas, decrease the amount of garlic in your food.
3. Nausea, Vomiting And Heartburn
According to the National Cancer Institute, consuming fresh garlic or garlic oil on an empty stomach could lead to heartburn, nausea and vomiting. Also a report published by the Harvard Medical school stated that garlic has certain compounds that can cause gastroesophageal reflux disease.
4. Might Aggravate Bleeding
You shouldn't consume garlic along with blood-thinning medicines as stated by the University of Maryland Medical Centre. It is because garlic can increase the risk of bleeding. Also, after a surgery, one shouldn't consume garlic for at least 2 weeks because it may interfere with blood pressure.
5. Might Cause Gastric Issues
Eating too much of raw garlic can have negative effects on gastric health because garlic contains fructans. It can irritate the gastrointestinal (GI) tract. Garlic can cause digestion problems if had in large quantities. Limit the intake of garlic in foods and avoid consuming them raw.
6. Can Cause Dizziness
Garlic has shown signs of dizziness in some people. Experts suggest that this could be due to eating excessive garlic that may lower blood pressure or hypotension. The common symptom of hypotension is dizziness, so people suffering from low blood pressure should keep this in mind.
7. Might Cause Rashes
Consumption of excessive raw garlic could cause skin irritation, hand rashes, eczema, etc. It is because garlic contains an enzyme called alliin lyase that causes irritation in the skin. Mild allergic reactions may also occur if you have too much of garlic. So, eat garlic in limited quantities.
If raw garlic is eaten, it could trigger migraine headaches. Garlic might stimulate the trigeminal nerve to release neuronal signalling molecules called neuropeptides that rush to the membrane covering your brain that causes migraine headache.
9. Might Cause Vision Changes
Excessive intake of garlic can cause hyphema, a condition that causes bleeding inside the eye chamber. Eye chamber is the space between the cornea and the iris. This condition can cause vision loss too, such is the side effect of raw garlic.
10. Bad For Pregnant Women
Garlic consumed in large quantities could affect pregnancy as well because it's going to increase the blood thinning effects that can be life-threatening. Pregnant women or lactating mothers should avoid garlic during this period as it may induce labour.
Share this article!
If you liked reading this article, don't forget to share it.