- 2 hrs ago This Viral Video Of Chimpanzee Carefully Washing A T-Shirt Will Leave You Surprised
- 2 hrs ago Man Eats 'Banana Art' Worth USD 120,000, Says He Isn't Sorry!
- 4 hrs ago This Company Will Allow Their LGBTQ+ Employees To Avail HR Benefits On Declaring Their Partner
- 4 hrs ago Penile Allergy: Causes, Home Remedies And Prevention
- Movies Bigg Boss 13: Shehnaz Gill Confides In Mahira Sharma That She Misses Paras Chhabra
- Sports ISL 2019-20: Odisha FC vs Hyderabad FC: Preview, Team News, Dream11, Fantasy Tips, Prediction, TV Info
- News PM Modi’s tweet on Lok Sabha polls victory crowned ‘Golden Tweet’ of 2019
- Technology RedmiBook 13 With Intel Core i5/i7 Announced For Around Rs. 43,500
- Finance Bank Of Baroda Lowers Lending Rate By 20bps
- Travel 7 Beautiful Churches in India For The Perfect Christmas Holiday
- Automobiles Orxa Mantis Electric Performance Motorcycle Revealed At India Bike Week 2019
- Education TOEFL Go! Global: A Mobile App From ETS To Stand Out In Exam
Food-borne illnesses are commonly referred to as food poisoning. Food poisoning is the result of eating contaminated, spoiled or toxic food.
Pathogens can be found in all the foods that humans consume. Cooking kills most of the pathogens, so that's one of the most important reasons on why you shouldn't eat raw foods.
Meat, dairy products and eggs are frequently contaminated, so it should be properly cleaned and boiled before consuming. The most common symptoms of food poisoning include nausea, vomiting, abdominal cramps, loss of appetite, mild fever, weakness, headache and diarrhoea.
Food poisoning can also be a life-threatening experience; but, sometimes, it's hard to determine which food is safe to eat. But, if you know about the foods which are risky, you can cook them in a proper way to kill the pathogens. But, most importantly, do not avoid them.
These are the 10 most common foods that could cause food poisoning.
1. Leafy Greens
Leafy greens are an integral part of your salad and also in numerous dishes. Leafy greens like lettuce, spinach, cabbage are contaminated by dirt, mud and dirty water rinses. So, it is rather essential to wash them properly and boil them before consuming.
Eggs are contaminated with Salmonella bacteria that can lurk inside the egg. It occurs during hen incubation before the shells are even developed. So, cooking them is the best way to avoid food poisoning.
Poultry chicken and ground beef cause food-borne illnesses if not consumed in a proper way. The meat is contaminated with Salmonella and Staph bacteria. Never consume undercooked meat, instead make sure that you cook it thoroughly.
Tuna fish is contaminated with scombrotoxin which causes flushes, headaches and cramps. If tuna fish is stored at 60 degrees after being caught, it can release the toxin which cannot be destroyed by cooking. Fresh fish is what matters the most.
A fresh potato cooked properly is unlikely to cause illness. Potatoes are grown beneath the mud and it should be washed and cleaned properly. Do not consume potato salad served in restaurants, as they might be a cross-contamination of germs.
Most people who fall sick from cheese are the ones who consume it at home. Cheese can be contaminated with many types of bacteria like Salmonella or Listeria, which can cause miscarriages.
Tomatoes if kept for a long time outside can get spoilt easily. It is one of the major causes of food poisoning. To make sure you don't allow the bacteria to grow and multiply, wash the tomatoes under running water. Boil it before eating instead of consuming it raw.
While sprouts are a favourite among the weight-loss lovers. Sprouts are considered as a healthy food, but the seeds sprout in warm and moist conditions, which attract bacteria. Those who have a weak immune system, don't consume sprouts.
Shellfish like oysters, crab, shrimp and lobsters are often harmful food poisoning-causing bacteria even before they are fished out of water. Shellfish contain germs such as bacteria that can cause food poisoning if it's not cooked properly.
Fresh fruits like raspberries, strawberries and blackberries can cause food poisoning. Why? These are the berries that contain crevices which are contaminated with germs. These crevices are filled with pesticide residue, bacteria and excess dirt. So, you need to clean them properly before consuming.
Share this article!
If you like reading this article, share it with your close ones.