- 41 min ago Grammys 2020: Billie Eilish Wins Big And Here Is A Look At Her Rebel Fashion Game
- 1 hr ago Hina Khan Looks Insanely Beautiful In Her Ivory Leaf-Patterns Sari
- 3 hrs ago Grammys 2020: Priyanka Chopra Jonas Impresses In A Satin Gown But Disappoints In A Sequin Kimono
- 6 hrs ago 9 Interesting Health Benefits Of Pecans
- Movies RIP Kobe Bryant: Rishi Kapoor Shares Son Ranbir Kapoor's Fan Moment With Basketball Legend
- News How China's deadly virus is sending shockwaves through Asia's tourism industry
- Sports Bumrah, Rabada best bowlers around; Kohli, Smith best batsmen: McGrath
- Technology Motorola Razr 5G Might See The Light Of Day But Not In International Markets
- Finance Centre To Increase Deposit Insurance To Rs. 5 Lakh, Pay More On Bank Failure
- Automobiles Tata Altroz Imaginator Launched: Five Options To Customize Your Altroz At The Factory
- Travel 10 Most Popular Historical Places And Sites In Karnataka
- Education IIM Bangalore Women In Leadership Course Tanmatra
Has headache been your constant problem and a hindrance in your work or even in your personal life? And also is this problem affecting your concentration too?
All of us might have suffered from a headache at some point of time. And in order to get rid of the problem you might have tried several measures and popped in medicines.
Well, this might have provided relief at that point of time. But when you fail to cure the cause of the problem, then there is 90 percent chance for the headache to recur.
So it is important to get to the root cause of the problem and then treat them accordingly. Hence, for conditions like headaches, yoga provides the ultimate solution.
So with the International Yoga Day around we bring to you a case study that will reveal the startling fact about how yoga has helped in preventing a headache. Meanwhile, also know why yoga is a must for all in this modern day.
She is 67 years old and till date she has never suffered from a single bout of headache in her entire lifetime. She is Dr Vijayalakshmi Balekundri, renowned pediatric cardiologist from Bangalore.
So what is the secret of her wellbeing? Yes, it is yoga. She has been practicing yoga continuously ever since her childhood and this has helped her in preventing headache all her life.
How Yoga Helps Prevent Headache:
Headache is mainly caused due to eyesight problem, constantly glaring at electronic devices, be it your television or your mobile phones, stress and hypertension. So regular practice of yoga along with meditation plays an important role in suppressing these problems and prevents headache.
Dr Vijayalakshmi says: "Apart from yoga, your attitude towards life should also change. Leading a disciplined life and having a positive thought is a must to keep away headache. Blood pressure has to be normal if you want to prevent a headache. Hence, yoga along with meditation helps to keep the blood pressure under control."
Yoga Asanas That Help Prevent Headaches:
Five minutes of savasana in the morning and five minutes in the night helps in relaxing the body as well as the mind. This in turn helps in preventing a headache. Savasana for five minutes is something that Dr Vijayalakshmi practices for five minutes as soon as she wakes up in the morning.
Here is the step by step procedure to do savasana:
- Lie down on the ground and rest your body.
- Relax your body and mind in such a way as if you have no sense.
- You can lie down like this for fifteen minutes and even drift off to sleep.
Savasana should be followed by a walk. This helps in warming the body. After which Dr Vijayalakshmi does suryanamaskar also known as sun salutation and few other yoga asanas for another half an hour.
Steps to do Suryanamaskar:
- Wake up early in the morning.
- Make sure you do not eat anything before doing the sun salutation.
- Choose a place where you can get sunlight directly.
- Place a mat or sheet on the ground and start doing surya namaskar.
- Surya namaskara basically comprises twelve distinct body postures.
3. Kapalabhati Pranayama:
5 minutes of kapalabhati pranayama in the morning helps in relaxing and rejuvinating the mind and keeps away headaches. Also whenever you feel low in energy kapalabhati pranayama helps.
Steps to do Kapalabhati Pranayama:
- Sit comfortably with your spine erect and take deep breaths.
- As you exhale, pull your stomach and your navel in. Keep your right hand on the stomach as you do this breathing.
- Take about 20 such breaths. This completes one round of kapalabhati pranayama.
- Once one round is over relax with your eyes closed for a while.
4. Ashtaanga Yoga:
The "Ashtaanga Yoga" consists of 8 yoga types namely yama - moral code, niyama- selfpurification, aasana-posture, praanaayama-breath control, prtyahara-sense control, dhaarana-concentration, dhyaana-Meditation and samaadhi-transcendence or to be one with universe or union of atma with paramatma.
With our everyday busy schedule we cannot sit at one place and meditate for long. So meditation should be an ongoing thing. As you are travelling you can meditate and just keep chanting ‘Om' in your mind. So this way the mind is not left empty. This gives positive energy and helps keep off headache and all negative thought.