- 47 min ago Aamir Khan's Laal Singh Chaddha Look Is So In Tune With The Fashion Sensibilities Of A Common Man
- 58 min ago Mickey Mouse 91st Birthday: Lesser Known Facts About Disney's Most Famous Cartoon Character
- 1 hr ago Dysphagia (Swallowing Difficulty): Types, Symptoms, Causes, Risk Factors, Diagnosis And Treatment
- 1 hr ago This Winter Season, Get Ready To Raise The Temperature With These New Hair Colour Trends
- Sports Spoiler on WWE Universal title match at 2019 Survivor Series
- Movies Tanushree Dutta Slams Channel & Neha Kakkar For Working With Anu Malik; Supports Sona Mohapatra
- Technology Reliance Jio Now Lets You Pick Landline Calls On Your Smartphone
- Finance HDFC Bank Cuts FD Interest Rates By As Much As 0.15%
- News Winter Session: MP's ride bicycles, wear masks, drive e-cars to highlight air pollution
- Automobiles TVS XL 100 Retro-Fitment Kit Launched At Rs 11,237
- Travel Hajo - The Pride Of Assam
- Education JEE Main 2020 Sample Question Paper With Solution For Numerical Value Section
Smoking is injurious to health, you might have heard this popular saying and despite knowing the fact, quitting smoking for a few people becomes really tough. However, if you are to stay healthy then it is a must that one needs to keep away from smoking.
A new research has found that cigarette smoking can harm the intestines and increase the risk of colitis - an inflammation of the colon resembling Crohn's disease.
Researchers identified a specific white blood cell and inflammatory protein responsible for this effect in mice exposed to cigarette smoke.
The study could help scientists to develop new treatments for inflammatory bowel diseases such as Crohn's disease, and increase awareness among smokers of their risk for colitis. Previous research shows that smoking significantly increases the risk of Crohn's disease, an inflammatory bowel disease.
However the mechanism by which cigarette smoke affects the gastrointestinal system was not known. One possibility is that inflammation in the lungs caused by smoking could have a knock-on effect in the intestine.
"The airways and the intestinal system have a lot in common," said Hyunsu Bae, of Kyung Hee University in South Korea. "Interestingly, in Traditional Korean Medicine, a connection between the lung and the large intestine has long been emphasized," said Bae.
"Crohn's disease is more likely to occur in people with airway diseases, suggesting that inflammation in the lungs is linked with inflammation in the gut," he said. Researchers exposed mice to smoke from twenty cigarettes a day, six days a week, for a few weeks.
They then examined the presence of inflammation in the mice's lungs and colons. Compared with mice exposed to clean air, mice exposed to cigarette smoke showed significant inflammation in their lungs. They also suffered from a type of colitis resembling Crohn's disease.
Researchers found increased levels of mucus and inflammation in the colon, and blood in the feces of the smoke-exposed mice. They also found increased levels of CD4+ T cells, a type of white blood cell, which were releasing a pro-inflammatory protein called interferon-gamma.
The team repeated the experiment with mice that had very few CD4+ T cells and mice that could not produce interferon- gamma. In both cases, the mice did not develop colitis when exposed to cigarette smoke.
"Our results suggest that cigarette smoking activates specific white blood cells in the lung, which might later move to the colon, triggering bowel inflammation," said Jinju Kim, from Kyung Hee University.
The study was recently published in the journal Frontiers in Immunology.
Listed here are a few of the best home remedies that helps one to quit smoking. Take a look.
Water is one of the best known natural detoxifier. Drinking plenty of water helps in getting rid of the toxic substances from the body and help fight your addiction.
Honey is yet another best natural ingredient that helps one to quit smoking.Honey contains vitamins, enzymes and proteins, which help in giving up the habit of smoking. Drinking honey with lukewarm water whenever you have the urge to smoke helps in keeping yourself off.
Licorice is one of the best known natural home remedies that helps one to quit smoking. Take a small piece of licorice and the chew it whenever you have the urge to smoke. This also helps in regulating the digestive system.
When you quit smoking you tend to have nausea. In order to get rid of this condition, you can either have ginger pieces or in the form of tea. It helps to calm the stomach, get rid of nausea and prevent one from getting tempted to smoking again.