- 2 hrs ago 12 Types Of Roommates That One May Come Across And How To Deal With Them
- 9 hrs ago People With Lung Cancer Have A High Risk Of Depression
- 9 hrs ago Pati Patni Aur Woh Actress Bhumi Pednekar Raises Mercury Levels With Her Eclectic Fashion!
- 10 hrs ago Gita Jayanti 2019: Know The History, Date And Significance Of This Day
- News Amid violence Jharkhand Assembly polls 2nd phase ended with 63.36% voters turnout
- Movies Aamir Khan Is Unrecognisable In His New Look From The Sets Of Laal Singh Chaddha
- Sports Manchester City 1-2 Manchester United: Rashford and Martial land big win for Solskjaer
- Technology OnePlus Exporting 5G Smartphones From India: Report
- Automobiles KTM 790 Adventure Showcased At India Bike Week Ahead Of 2020 Launch
- Finance Now 5,500 Railway Stations Have Free WiFi
- Education TOEFL Go! Global: A Mobile App From ETS To Stand Out In Exam
- Travel A Brief Travel Guide For Solo Travellers To Conquer South India
If you are suffering from depression and in the habit of consuming anti-depressants then you should stop it immediately. As this might lead to other serious health hazards.
A new study has found that consuming opioids and anti-depressants may increase the risk of developing bone fractures among people who are already suffering from rheumatoid arthritis.
Rheumatoid arthritis is a chronic disease that causes pain, stiffness, swelling, and limitation in the motion and function of multiple joints and organs of the body.
Chronic inflammation and pain in arthritis patients further leads to several diseases like cardiovascular, mental and gastrointestinal disorders. People take multiple medications in such cases that sometimes influences the risk of osteoporotic fractures or a disease caused due to reduced bone density, the researchers noted.
"Even at younger ages, rheumatoid arthritis is associated with a two-fold increased risk of osteoporosis and fractures due to chronic inflammation and glucocorticoid use. More importantly, osteoporotic fractures significantly contribute to the disability, health-related costs and mortality with substantially higher complication in rheumatoid arthritis patients," said Gulsen Ozen, researcher at the University of Nebraska Medical Centre.
For the study, researchers had taken into consideration 11,049 rheumatoid arthritis patients, aged 40 and above, with no signs of osteoporotic fractures prior to the tests. After a median follow-up time of 5.7 years, the study found 863 patients affected with osteoporotic fractures.
The patients who developed fractures were significantly older and had higher disease risk and bone fracture risk at the baseline than those patients who did not experience fractures.
The study result pointed that the osteoporotic fracture risk increased within 30 days when the patients were given opioids. The associated medications also led to falls in certain cases.
The results was recently presented at the ACR/ARHP annual meeting 2017 in San Diego.
Meanwhile, here are a few of the best home remedies for depression. Take a look.
Cardamom helps in rejuvenating the cells and thus help treat depression. All that you need to do is take half teaspoon of cardamom powder, add it to a cup of warm water or milk. Mix it well and then drink it once a day. It helps treat depression symptoms.
Saffron is rich in carotenoids and B vitamins. This helps in increasing the serotonin level and also other important chemicals in the brain. Several studies have pointed out that saffron helps in reducing depression symptoms. Addiing a bit of saffron in cooking, milk shakes and smoothies helps.
3. Fish Oil:
Fish oil is rich in omega-3 fatty acids or what is known as the good fats. Taking fish oil on a regular basis helps in proper functioning of the brain and is highly recommended for people suffering from depression.
Honey contains one of the important amino acid called tryptophan. This provides a relaxing sensation for the nerves, helps one to sleep better and fight depression. All that one needs to do is take one tablespoon of honey and one teaspoon of ginseng powder. Add these two ingredients in a glass of water, mix it well and then drink it twice a day for better results.
(With Agency Inputs)