Muscle cramps can be a nightmare for those who suffer from them frequently. It is nothing but a sudden tightening of muscle which causes pain.
How long does it last? Well, in some cases, it lasts for some seconds but in other cases, it could last several minutes and become unbearable.
It occurs generally in the legs and that too in the calf muscle. It can also occur in the foot or the thighs. Here are some more facts about muscle cramps.
Are Cramps Dangerous?
Muscle cramps are dangerous as they could occur all of a sudden and trouble you. For example, if you are driving a car and if cramps occur all of a sudden, how can you control the vehicle? For some, cramps occur during the night and affect the quality of their sleep.
Is It Involuntary?
Muscle cramps occur due to contraction of muscles. Sometimes, the contraction occurs involuntarily and you may have no control over it.
Also Read:Reasons For Leg Cramps
When Do They Occur?
When muscle cramps occur, the area becomes painful, hard and firm making it tough to move. In some cases, they could occur after intense workouts too.
Why Do They Occur?
Some of the known reasons behind muscle cramps include poor blood circulation, intensely working out the muscle, not stretching before workouts, dehydration and even fatigue.
Even certain medical conditions can also cause muscle cramps. Even potassium and magnesium deficiencies can cause them. Nerve issues, spinal cord issues and side effects of certain drugs can also cause them.
What To Do?
What to do when a cramp occurs? Try to stretch the muscle. Though it causes strain, discomfort and pain, try to massage the area and relax the muscle as much as possible. Consult a doctor immediately.
Some preventive measures include drinking lots of water, reducing inflammation, stretching before workouts, reducing alcohol intake and consuming good food that offers vitamins and minerals.
- World Polio Day: Know About The Symptoms Of Different Types Of Polio
- Reasons Why Your Muscles Are Cramping All The Time
- Role Of Stress On Your Body & How To Beat It
- Tips For Muscle Soreness In Rainy Season
- Does Drinking Alcohol Ruin Muscle Gains?
- Your Muscle Cramps Could Be Due To These Reasons!
- This Herb Is A Must Have If You Have Muscle Ache
- Natural Drink For Muscle Recovery After Workout
- Signs You Don't Drink Enough Water
- What To Eat To Increase Muscle Mass
- These Are The Signs Of Vitamin D Deficiency In Women; Be Warned
- Do You Know That You Can Use Garlic For Instant Back Pain Relief?
- 3 Best Home Exercises For Shapely Thighs In 2 Months!