- 7 min ago Alia Bhatt, Anushka Sharma, And Ananya Panday Have Ultimate Party Wear Goals For Us
- 19 min ago Try Out These Easy Hairstyles Tonight To Wake Up With Perfect Curls
- 55 min ago Deepika Padukone And Ranveer Singh Flaunt Vibrant Outfits At Harmandir Sahib
- 57 min ago Heard About A Pill To Fake Virginity On 'The First Night'? Well, It Is True!
- News No extension for Odd even scheme for now, says Kejriwal as air quality in 'severe' category
- Movies Miss World 2017 Manushi Chhillar To Play Sanyogita In Akshay Kumar’s Prithviraj
- Technology Some Google Pixel 3 Users Report Auto Shutdown Issue
- Sports UFC Fight Night 164: Blachowicz vs. Jacare preview, fight card, India time and TV info
- Automobiles Royal Enfield’s DIY Basic Video Instructions For 650 Twins: Covers Starting Trouble & More
- Finance Places Where You Can Sell Gold Jewellery For Cash In India
- Education Delhi Nursery Admission 2020-21: Explore Admission Schedule And Registration Details
- Travel Kalady – The Land Of Holy Shrines
Hitting the gym every time is something which is not possible for every one. Lack of time and work can be the possible reasons. But have you thought about cycling to work? Yes, this is one of the best ways to lose weight and stay healthy.
A new study has found that riding the bike to work may be just as effective for losing weight as exercising at the gym five days a week.
"This is good news to the many overweight people who may not have the time or inclination to join a fitness centre, because they also have to pick up their children and cook dinner after work," said Bente Stallknecht, Professor at the University of Copenhagen in Denmark.
"Our results show that it is possible to combine transport to and from work with effective physical exercise," said Stallknecht.
For the study, researchers had taken into consideration 130 overweight people with a body mass index (BMI) of 25-35 kilogrammes per square metre (kg/m2). A criterion for participating in the study was they were not too active or muscular based on a series of parameters like body fat percentage, maximum oxygen uptake and level of physical activity.
The participants were divided into four groups of which one had to ride the bike to and from work. Two other groups had to do physical exercise five times a week, one at high intensity, the other at moderate intensity. The last group could make no changes and thus functioned as the control group.
The groups that cycled and were physically active during their leisure time burned the same amount of calories a week during these activities; only the intensity and form of physical exercise varied. After six months all groups, except for the control group, had less fat mass.
The fat mass had been reduced by 4.5 kg (compared to the control group) in the group doing high-intensity leisure time exercise, by 2.6 kg in the group doing moderate-intensity leisure time exercise and by 4.2 kg in the group riding the bike to work.
"All forms of physical exercise are better than the control group, but high-intensity exercise is statistically better than moderate-intensity exercise," said Jonas Salling Quist, Research Assistant at University of Copenhagen.
"And riding the bike to and from work is at least as effective a means for reducing fat mass as exercising during your leisure time," said Quist.
The study was recently published in the International Journal of Obesity.
Meanwhile also learn about a few other benefits of cycling. Take a look.
1. Controls Blood Pressure:
Cycling is one of the best exerises for those ailing with high blood pressure. For this one needs to go cycling on a moderate speed. 30 minutes of cycling everyday is ideal in order to keep your blood pressure under check.
2. Helps Control Diabetes:
Diabetes is one of the leading lifestyle diseases affecting young adults today. Lack of exercise is considered as one of the major cause for the rising number. Cycling for about 30 minutes on a daily basis helps in controlling diabetes.
3. Helps Prevent Heart Disease:
Cycling on a regular basis for a minimum of 30 minutes everyday helps keep your heart healthy and prevent any heart related diseases.
(With Agency Inputs)