Everyone is aware of the smell of camphor, especially if you are an Indian. Camphor is used in a variety of ways starting from offering prayers to even curing headache and cold.
Camphor is a white and transparent substance that is obtained from a tree called camphor laurel which is a native to the Asian subcontinent.
It has been used for it's medicinal purposes throughout Asia since ancient times. It is also the major component of the famous vapour rub that is used widely to get rid of congestion during cold.
But, camphor is a highly poisonous substance when it is congested. It can be fatal to health and one should be very careful while using camphor to derive its benefits.
Let's look at a few ways in which camphor can be useful to us!
#1 Cure A Cough
Needless to say, camphor has the tremendous ability to clear congestion when you have a cold. The strong smell of camphor helps to clear a congested chest and blocked nose. Many medicated cold and cough rubs have camphor as a main ingredient. Just add a few drops of camphor oil to one tsp of almond oil. Gently rub this on to your chest to get effective results.
#2 Clears Acne
For all the women out there, here is a cheap and effective way to treat acne rather than going to salons to spend thousands. It helps to cure breakouts and prevents it from forming further. It is also anti-inflammatory in nature and helps to reduce swelling and redness on the skin caused due to acne. Mix one tsp of camphor oil to coconut oil and apply it on affected areas to get best results.
#3 Clears Nasal Congestion
As mentioned earlier, camphor helps to clear nasal congestion because of its strong smell. It almost gives an instant relief to clear a blocked nose and resume comfortable breathing. Mix camphor oil with warm mustard oil and rub this oil gently near your nose and chest. Be careful to not ingest any of this solution, as it might be fatal.
#4 Cures Cold Sores
Cold sores on the skin are very common when you get a fever and flu. They can get extremely painful and cause so much discomfort. Camphor has been known to treat cold sores effectively. It also temporarily relieves the pain and itchy sensation. Being anti-inflammatory in nature, it helps to reduce the swelling. Just mix one tsp of camphor oil to extra-virgin coconut oil and apply the mixture carefully.
#5 Kills Head Lice
This may sound a little bizarre but head lice is one of the most annoying and uncomfortable feelings that can happen to anyone. The dryness of the scalp and itchy sensation is beyond comprehension. Camphor oil is very beneficial for treating lice when used with coconut oil. Just put a few tsp of camphor oil and apply it to your hair. Wash it after a few hours and comb your hair to get rid of the dead lice.
#6 Heals Muscle Pain
Be it any kind of muscle spasm, camphor has come to the rescue. Due to its anti-inflammatory property, it acts as a great agent to heal muscle pain and reduce swelling around the area. It also promotes great circulation and reduces stiffness that helps to heal the pain.
#7 Soothes Cracked Heels
Cracked heel is a common problem. Owing to the hectic lifestyles and lack of time to take care of oneself, cracked heel comes as a dreadful problem. Using camphor will help to reduce the pain and heal the cracked heels. Just mix a piece of camphor with warm water and soak your feet in it for a while before cleaning and patting it dry.
#8 Treats Corns
Corns are basically lumps of muscle formed on your sole and it causes a lot of pain and discomfort while walking. To reduce discomfort, try camphor essential oils. Its antiseptic nature helps to heal the infection and kill the germs in the infected area.
#9 Kills Insects And Mosquitoes
Camphor essential oil is very effective in killing insects and mosquitoes that cause a lot of deadly diseases to humans. A lot of air and water-borne diseases are transferred by insects and mosquitoes. Due to its strong smell, it repels the insects and mosquitoes.
#10 Treats Restless Leg Syndrome
Restless leg syndrome is characterized by an unpleasant sensation near the legs and a throbbing and an uncontrollable urge to move the legs while sleeping. This can get very uncomfortable and disrupt a healthy sleep cycle. Camphor's therapeutic and antispasmodic properties help relieve inflammation and reduce the restless leg syndrome symptoms.
Some precautions and safety instructions to be followed while using camphor are:
- Ingestion of camphor for any reason is not acceptable and not the right way of treating any problem. Keep away from any treatment that mentions to consume the camphor.
- Don't apply camphor for a longer time on your skin, as it might break the skin and cause further damages.
- Avoid using camphor during pregnancy and breastfeeding to guard your child's health.
- Don't apply excessive camphor on children, as they don't have the same threshold level as adults do.
Share This Article!
If you found this article useful, don't forget to like and share it.
- How To Use Ginger For Back Pain Relief
- Brain Tumour Risk Can Be Reduced By Regulating Cell Phone Usage
- 7 Important Things Doctors Want You To Know About Losing Weight
- Here's Why You Should Let Your Kids Go Barefoot More Often!
- 7 Warning Signs Of Obesity
- How Can Pets Improve Your Health?
- Celebrate “National French Fries Day” With These 6 Secrets To Healthier French Fries
- Uterine Prolapse: Risk Factors, Symptoms, Causes and Treatment
- 8 Common Mistakes People Make When Trying to Lose Weight
- Mycoplasma Genitalium: Here is everything you need to know
- 7 Things To Avoid While Dining Out To Stay Healthy
- Working Night Shifts May Increase Risk of Heart Disease, Stroke and Cancer