You come home from work after a long and tiring day. You look at your feet and see that the size of your feet has become like that of an elephant's feet! You become teary-eyed and start looking for remedies to apply on the painful ankle.
However, let us tell you that a swollen ankle can occur to anyone, especially women who are not comfortable wearing high heels the whole day and for those who do not exercise the right way.
When you have swollen ankles, it becomes painful to walk around and causes discomfort. The swollen spot can be around the heel and ankle bones or on the top of the foot.
The common causes of swollen ankles include obesity, sprained ankles, and pregnancy, among others. The swelling becomes very painful and it becomes a concerning situation. But, to overcome the severe pain in your ankle, it is necessary to apply the right method. Just by a few hours of rest, it would not always work in reducing the swelling.
Swollen ankles and feet are uncomfortable and sometimes you can prevent it by swearing by these 15 home remedies for treating the painful condition that will provide you with a solution on how to get rid of ankle pain fast.
1. Coriander Seeds
Coriander seeds are diuretic in nature and help to remove the excess fluid from the swollen feet. It will give you a relief once you apply this home remedy.
- Boil 3 tbsp of coriander seeds in water.
- Strain and drink the infusion twice in a day.
2. Grapefruit Essential Oil
Essential oils are the best when it comes to relaxing the body. Grapefruit essential oil has wonderful non-inflammatory properties and antimicrobial agents that reduce the swelling of the ankles.
- Mix 4-5 drops of grapefruit oil with 1-2 tbsp of olive oil.
- Apply this mixture and leave it overnight.
3. Salt Water Soak
Salts are known to reduce the swollen painful ankles and it works wonders in getting rid of inflammation.
- Pour salt in a bucket full of warm water.
- Soak your feet for 10 minutes.
A mineral deficiency can also be the cause behind your swollen feet. Magnesium deficiency will cause swollen painful ankles if you do not intake proper amounts of magnesium-rich foods.
5. Epsom Salt
Epsom salt is a common remedy for swollen painful ankles. It works fast in reducing swelling and can help alleviate pain. The magnesium sulphate in Epsom salt is easily absorbed through the skin that reduces the swelling faster.
- Mix ½ a cup of Epsom salt in warm water.
- Soak your feet in for 10-15 minutes.
Yoga exercises are well conceived since the ancient times. So, if you are suffering from tired swollen feet, try doing yoga that will drain out the lymphatic fluids from the legs, which causes swelling.
Ginger is a natural diuretic that helps reduce the swollen painful ankles condition. It helps to dilute the sodium that causes the swelling in the ankles.
- Massage your swollen feet with ginger oil in circular motions.
8. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar when applied to a swollen ankle will provide an instant relief due to the vinegar which has an effective fluid absorption action, which helps reduce the swelling.
- Mix 1 cup of apple cider vinegar in 2 bowls of warm water and cold water, respectively.
- Soak the towel in warm water and wrap your feet and then soak it in cold water and warp your feet.
- Repeat this for 5 minutes.
9. Hydrate Yourself
Dehydration can be another factor for swollen painful ankles. Drinking 6-7 glasses of water daily will help your body to mobilise the fluids and reduce the swelling.
10. Lemon Water
Drinking lemon water daily flushes out the toxins from the body. It will also reduce the swelling in your ankles caused by water retention.
- Mix 2 tbsp of lemon juice in a glass of warm water.
- Drink this lemon water throughout the day.
11. Dandelion Tea
Dandelion is an amazing herb which has a good effect on treating swollen painful ankles. It is also rich in antioxidants that alleviate inflammation from any part of the body.
- Mix 1 tbsp of dandelion herb in boiling water.
- Drink the dandelion tea 1-2 cups per day.
A foot massage is another effective way to reduce the swelling in the feet. It creates pressure in the affected area that improves blood circulation and relaxes the sore muscles.
- You can rub warm mustard oil on the affected area.
- Gently massage the area for 5 minutes.
13. Reduce Salt Intake
If you are having too much of salt in your diet, then you need to limit the salt intake to control the swollen painful ankles condition. Also, try eating low-sodium foods as well.
Parsley is a natural diuretic, which helps the body to eliminate the excess liquid that is the culprit behind your swollen ankle. This healing herb has anti-inflammatory properties that will reduce fluid retention.
- Add 1 tbsp of dried parsley leaves in hot water.
- Strain the water after sometime and drink the tea 2-3 cups in a day.
15. Rosehip Tea
Rosehip is the fruit of a rose plant that is extremely diuretic in nature. Drink rosehip tea, as it contains non-inflammatory compounds that reduce the swelling in the ankles.
- Take a handful of dried rosehip in some boiling water.
- Strain the water after sometime and drink it twice in a day.
TRENDING ON ONEINDIA
- UK Court Orders Vijay Mallya's Extradition; CBI Welcomes Decision
- Hockey World Cup 2018 — Catch The Latest Updates
- PUBG Mobile — Watch The New Live-Action Trailer
- Tata Nexon Crash Test Global NCAP — Five Stars And Officially Becomes The Safest Car In India!
- SBI, HDFC Bank Loans To Get Costlier As Lenders Increase MCLR
- Sara Ali Khan Has Inspired Us To Keep It Casual-glam For The Next Party
- To Gorkhey — A Homestay Trek In The Himalayas
- These Unseen Pics From 'NickYanka's Weddings Scream Love!