- 5 hrs ago Daily Horoscope 07 December 2019
- 14 hrs ago Kareena Kapoor Khan's Diet Revealed By Her Nutritionist Rujuta Diwekar
- 16 hrs ago Kareena Kapoor Khan Looks So Perfect In Her Stylish Black Attire At The HT Leadership Summit!
- 16 hrs ago Lakshmi Manchu's Sari Is The Vibrant Wedding Wear You Need For Your Friend's Wedding
- Movies Akshay Kumar Used To Play With Young Kareena On The Sets While Working With Karisma
- News Instil fear of law, hang rapists within stipulated time: Mayawati urges govt
- Finance NEFT Transfer From Dec 16 Is 24 Hours A Day, Including Holidays
- Sports La Liga joint leaders Barcelona and Real Madrid back in action
- Technology Redmi K30 5G To Feature 64MP Sony IMX686 Sensor
- Automobiles KTM 390 Adventure Unveiled At India Bike Week 2019: Here Are All The Details
- Travel A Brief Travel Guide For Solo Travellers To Conquer South India
- Education Pariksha Pe Charcha 2020: How To Participate In PPC 2020 Contest?
Being a foodie and being a diabetic is one bad combination that one must never have. A diabetic will be stripped off their privilege to eat whatever they feel like and nothing else is more depressing than this.
Foods with high carbohydrate content is a big no-no for them, as the blood sugar levels will shoot upwards due to this. Gradually, this will damage the blood vessels and lead to other problems like heart diseases, kidney problems, stroke, blindness and amputations.
Foods for diabetic patients must include slow-digesting carbohydrates, in order for them to stay healthy. The best example for this is sweet potato.
Are sweet potatoes good foods for patients with diabetes? Have you been haunted by this question anytime? Read further to find out.
Sweet potatoes have a low glycaemic index and are considered the best for diabetic control. Moderate consumption of sweet potatoes will help in keeping the blood sugar levels in a healthy range.
It contains 26 grams of carbohydrates and 3.8 gram of dietary fibre. A cup of mashed sweet potatoes contains 58 grams of carbohydrates and 8.2 grams of fibre. This can be considered as the best food for diabetic patients.
Sweet potatoes can be consumed in various methods, but always remember to consume it in the right amount. This article will answer your question as to whether sweet potatoes are good for diabetes or not.
1. Digestive Issues:
Being rich in dietary fibres, sweet potatoes help in combating constipation and also in preventing colon cancer.
2. Insulin Resistance:
It can be considered as one of the best foods for diabetics, as it has a natural sugar that helps in regulating the blood sugar levels and thereby in being insulin resistive.
3. Prevents Emphysema:
This problem is common with smokers and affects a person's air sacs. Sweet potatoes contain Vitamin A and carotenoids that help with the regeneration of the respiratory system.
4. Heart Health:
Can diabetics eat sweet potato? Yes of course they can! Sweet potatoes are rich in potassium and help in balancing the electrolyte and regulating the blood pressure. This ensures that you are at a lower risk of having a heart-related disease.
5. Boosts Immune System:
They are enriched with Vitamin D and this strengthens the immune system, bones, teeth, heart health, skin and thyroid gland health. Do you need another reason for finding out which are the best potatoes for diabetics?
6. Healthy Tissues And Muscles:
The nutrients in sweet potatoes help in regulating the nerve signals sent to the brain and heart health. This will ward off the discomfort due to swelling and cramps and even ease the muscles.
7. Promotes Fetal Development:
Being rich in folic acid, sweet potatoes help pregnant women by ensuring baby's cell development and also in ensuring that the fetal tissue is not compromised.
8. Helps Combat Stress:
Sweet potatoes are rich in magnesium and potassium that regulate the body's water balance as well as the body's reaction to stress factors. It also helps in regulating the heart beat and the flow of oxygen to the body.
9. Rich in Antioxidants:
They are rich in antioxidants that help in combating asthma, arthritis, breast cancer, gout and also in reducing the ageing effects of stress.
10. Boosts Vitamin C Levels:
Being rich in Vitamin C, sweet potatoes are great for combating common cold, persistent cough and flu.
11. Skin Benefits:
Boil sweet potatoes and use the water to clean the pores on the face using a cotton ball. This will soothe any inflammation on the skin. It is enriched with anthocyanin, which is said to reap a lot of skin benefits.
12. Combats Anaemia:
It contains iron and aids in the production of red and white blood cells that wards off anaemia.
13. Relieves Premenstrual Discomfort:
Instant relief from premenstrual discomfort can be obtained due to its rich source of iron and magnesium.
14. Mineral Boost:
By consuming sweet potatoes, it will boost your nutrient levels by providing minerals such as calcium, iron, manganese and potassium, and also other nutrients like carbohydrates and protein.
15. Hair Quality:
It contains beta-carotene that is helpful in keeping the hair healthy and in good shape.