- 36 min ago What Does Your Handshake Reveal About Your Personality
- 7 hrs ago Daily Horoscope: 18 January 2020
- 14 hrs ago What Causes Vitamin B12 Deficiency And How To Treat It
- 15 hrs ago Common Myths And Its Facts About Diabetes
- News After 'shot like dogs' remarks Dilip Ghosh snubs intellectuals opposing CAA as devils, parasites
- Sports Hit by Cummins, Shikhar Dhawan could be available for series-decider in Bengaluru
- Technology Honor 9X First Sale Starts At Midnight Today: Everything You Need To Know
- Finance Yes Bank's Ratings Placed Under Review By Moodys
- Movies Game Of Thrones Spin Off 'House of The Dragon' To Air In 2022
- Automobiles Maruti Suzuki Eeco BS-VI Launched In India: Prices Start At Rs 3.81 Lakh
- Education Tanmatra: A Women Leadership Programme From IIM Bangalore
- Travel 10 Best Places To Visit In Delhi In 2020
Diabetic patients are at the risk of putting on weight due to their health conditions. It is also a viable option for them to follow the normal diet pattern that is followed by the others, as they must have a strict control over their diet.
The ideal weight loss diet for a diabetic patient is a low GI diet. A balanced low glycaemic index (GI) diet is the healthiest option for weight loss for a diabetic patient. The most important part is that a low GI diet will help manage the blood glucose levels in the body.
GI or glycaemic index is a measurement of the carbohydrates in food and the way it affects the blood glucose levels. Apart from that, it also shows the impact of a food on blood glucose levels.
The energy required for the body comes from a sugar known as glucose. Foods with low GI index are converted very slowly to glucose, whereas foods with high GI are converted rapidly to glucose.
When a diabetic patient consumes high GI foods, high levels of glucose reaches the blood stream. Too much of glucose at once is harmful for the body, so in order to compensate this, the body releases high amounts of insulin that transfers the glucose to fat stores.
If this happens regularly, then it can lead to weight gain and make the cells insulin resistant. So, by opting for a low GI diet, this damaging process can be prevented.
Here are top 10 reasons why you must switch over to low GI foods.
1. Heart Friendly:
Intake of low GI foods increases the amount of good HDL cholesterol in the blood stream, thus promoting heart health.
2. Averts Risk Of Alzheimer's Disease:
Large amounts of homocysteine increases the risk of Alzheimer's disease later on in life. But bringing in changes to the diet like replacing white rice with whole grains can reduce the amount of homocysteine rapidly.
3. Wards Off The Risk Of Breast Cancer:
High GI foods trigger the release of huge amounts of insulin and facilitate the growth of breast cancer cells. It is always ideal to opt for a low GI food.
4. Promotes Weight Loss:
Food which has a low GI increases the amount of fibre in the body. This boosts weight loss and gives you a feeling of fullness for longer hours. This prevents unhealthy food cravings.
5. Skin Benefits:
High GI foods trigger skin inflammation and also alter the structure of collagen and elastin. By switching over to low GI foods, you can cut off the increased sugar intake and also this can further protect your skin.
6. Wards of Androgens:
High insulin levels in the body promote high levels of androgen in the body. This leads to sebum production and leads to skin breakouts. Thus, low GI foods avoid this as well.
7. Reduces The Risk Of Diabetes:
Opting for a low GI diet will reduce the risk of diabetes in healthy people. It will also help diabetic patients to manage their blood glucose levels more effectively.
8. Averts The Risk Of Stroke:
According to a study, women who replace one serving of refined carbohydrates with whole grains showed a reduction in the risk of stroke by almost 40%. Hence, switching over to low GI foods reduces the risk of stroke.
9. Boosts The Immune System:
Sugary food affects the immune system of the body. Low GI foods aid in maintaining the healthy functioning of the immune system and ward off problems like cold, fever and flu.
10. Increases The Endurance:
Opting for a low GI food boosts the stamina and endurance and it also aids people who exercise regularly.