- 3 hrs ago Daily Horoscope 07 December 2019
- 12 hrs ago Kareena Kapoor Khan's Diet Revealed By Her Nutritionist Rujuta Diwekar
- 14 hrs ago Kareena Kapoor Khan Looks So Perfect In Her Stylish Black Attire At The HT Leadership Summit!
- 14 hrs ago Lakshmi Manchu's Sari Is The Vibrant Wedding Wear You Need For Your Friend's Wedding
- News Hyderabad encounter: Don’t doubt police version from day one
- Technology Redmi K30 5G To Feature 64MP Sony IMX686 Sensor
- Finance 3 Beaten Down Shares That Can Yield Good Returns
- Sports Woodland profits as Reed implodes but Tiger two back in Bahamas
- Movies Dabangg 3: Newbie Saiee Manjrekar Was Not Intimidated Working With Salman Khan
- Automobiles KTM 390 Adventure Unveiled At India Bike Week 2019: Here Are All The Details
- Travel A Brief Travel Guide For Solo Travellers To Conquer South India
- Education Pariksha Pe Charcha 2020: How To Participate In PPC 2020 Contest?
Fasting and feasting forms a major part of navratri and dusshera, one of the biggest Hindu festivals. With just a few days left for the festival to begin many of you might be preparing for it.
When it comes to fasting, which is considered auspicious and sacred, majority of the people observe fast for all the nine days. Few people observe fast just on the first day and the last day of Navratri.
Read More: Foods To Provide Energy During Fasting
For those people who are diabetic, can they observe fasting? As the festival nears, this must be the question in the minds of many diabetics and they must be lingering in a dilemma.
Well, there is no hard and fast rule that diabetics cannot fast. They can observe fast provided they take special care about their health during the period.
Also Read: Good Food You Should Eat
For those observing fast during navratri they do not eat meat, grains, onion, garlic and alcohol. Also, there are a section of people who abstain themselves from eating non-vegetarian foods. Instead of the normal salt people eat rock salt as it is considered pure.
Here is a list of 12 safe ways of fasting for diabetics during the Navratri festival. Take a look.
1. Take Food In Short Intervals:
For those who are diabetic keep munching in small quantity of food like vegetables or fruits every few hours. This helps in maintaining the blood glucose levels.
2. Have Slow Absorbing Foods:
It is good to have slow absorbing foods like some vegetables and fruits which are rich in fibre before one begins fasting. It helps to keep one full and maintain the blood glucose level.
3. Avoid Tea & Coffee:
While you fast you might feel less energetic and might resort to tea and coffee. Please avoid these, as these might lead to dehydration due to caffeine content in them.
4. Drink Plenty Of Water:
Keeping yourself hydrated during the course of fasting is important. Hence drink plenty of water which otherwise is also beneficial for your health.
5. Coconut Water:
Coconut water is one of the best sugar free beverages which is good for diabetics. It is rich in antioxidants, amino acids, vitamins, calcium, iron and loads of other nutrients which help in providing the body with the needed energy.
Rich in electrolytes with no added sugar, buttermilk helps in fighting against the loss of water from the body. It is one of the best sources of hydration for diabetics.
7. Avoid Overeating After You Break Fast:
People generally eat high calorie food to break the fast. But diabetics should see to it that they break the fast with low fatty foods which contain very less sugar. Baked food is always better.
8. Keeping A Check On the Blood Sugar Level Must:
All through your fasting period keep a tab on the sugar level by measuring it often in between.
9. Adjust The Dose Of Insulin:
When you make up your mind to go on fasting then you need to adjust the dose of your insulin accordingly for the day.
10. Modify the Exercise:
Modifying the daily exercise routine is necessary especially for type 2 diabetics when they observe fast. It is recommended that they exercise only after 2-3 hours of having their evening meal.
11. Break Fast Immediately In Case of Emergency:
It should be noted that diabetics should break their fast if their blood sugar level falls below 70 mg per percentage, in between their fasting period.
12. Consult A Doctor:
It is always best for diabetics to consult their regular endocrinologist and dietician before they plan to observe the fasting.