- 3 hrs ago Daily Horoscope: 18 January 2020
- 10 hrs ago What Causes Vitamin B12 Deficiency And How To Treat It
- 11 hrs ago Common Myths And Its Facts About Diabetes
- 13 hrs ago 10 Effective Natural Remedies For Treating Ear Pimples
- News IBPS Calendar 2020 released: Direct link to download
- Movies Sarileru Neekevvaru Day 7 Box Office Collections: First Telugu Film To Cross 100 Crore In 2020!
- Technology Amazon Great Indian Sale 2020: Up To 40% Off On Premium Smartphones
- Sports Bapu Nadkarni demise: Sunil Gavaskar condoles his death of former India all-rounder; remembers him as 'helpful manager'
- Automobiles MG Will Showcase A Total Of 14 Models At The 2020 Auto Expo: Future Of Mobility
- Finance Reliance Announces Q3 Results; Net Profit Climbs 13%
- Education Tanmatra: A Women Leadership Programme From IIM Bangalore
- Travel 10 Best Places To Visit In Delhi In 2020
Pillows are not just for your head and neck. Depending on your sleeping position, additional pillows can help keep your spine in a proper position.
But, did you know that sleeping without a pillow is much healthier and better for you. Yes, though a pillow can support your head, sleeping without one can also prevent you from developing other ailments too like wrinkles, neck pain and spine-related problems.
When you sleep with a pillow that is too high, it can put your neck into a position that causes muscle strain on your back, neck and shoulders.
So, if you are already suffering with any of these problems, it is best to ditch that pillow and sleep without one.
However, if you are advised to sleep with one, and if it is a compulsion, choose a pillow which will keep the neck aligned with the chest and lower back.
On the other hand, the pillow you sleep on should also be adjustable, so that it allows you to sleep in different positions as per your comfort. So, if given a chance, we'd say it is best and healthy to sleep without a pillow:
Have a look at how it is beneficial to sleep without a pillow:
It Benefits The Spine: If you are experiencing a lot of back aches, it is best to get rid of the pillow. Sleeping without a pillow helps the back to rest in its natural position, but sleeping on a thick pillow displaces a portion of the spine and results in a back pain.
It Benefits The Neck: The main reason for that ruthless pain in the shoulder and back is the presence of a pillow. Therefore, sleeping without one helps to create a much better circulation in the neck region, thereby allowing to eradicate the pain in the neck and, at the same time, prevent neck aches.
It Benefits The Face: Over course of time during the night, we tend to wrestle our face and bury it in the pillow, this habit is the main cause for wrinkles. So, to prevent wrinkle formation on the face, it is best to sleep without a pillow.
It Benefits Your Sleep: Experts state that sleeping with a pillow hinders the quality of sleep. However, if you sleep without one, you tend to be more relaxed, which thereby helps to improve the quality of your sleep.
How To Sleep Without The Pillow
To sleep without a pillow is rather tough. Follow these steps, if you want to learn to sleep without a pillow. Don't immediately shift to sleeping without a pillow, as a sudden change can make you feel very uncomfortable and this might hinder the sleep pattern as well.
Use a folded towel as a pillow for the first few weeks. Let it be folded to more or less the same height as your pillow.
The next week, remove one of the folds; as you continue to get used to it, gradually decrease the height of the folded towel.
Make sure to keep your neck aligned as you reduce your pillow height. If you are lying on your back, make sure that your chin is not pointing up towards the ceiling.
When the towel is completely in level with the bed or the ground, practice a few stretch exercises for the neck and back, so that there are no sprains or other aches that you may experience.