Asthma is a serious respiratory condition that is marked by attacks of spasm in the lungs' bronchi, causing difficulty in breathing. Asthma is generally related to an allergic reaction or other kinds of hypersensitivity.
Besides the normal treatment for asthma, can a healthy diet help in preventing asthma?
There is no special diet that can reduce the inflammation caused by asthma. Caffeine can give a temporary relief; but using an inhaler is more effective in dealing with the asthma symptoms.
But a healthy diet can always be an integral part of your overall treatment plan for asthma.
Obesity is particularly associated with severe asthma and hence it is important that you keep a tab on what you are eating, so that your asthma conditions deteriorate. Also, foods that cause asthma need to be avoided, so that they don't trigger the ailment further.
Studies have hinted that people who eat lesser fruits and vegetables and have more processed foods could be more vulnerable to problems like asthma, though a strong evidence is yet to be established on this.
However, it is evident that people who consume more of vitamins C and E, beta-carotene, magnesium, selenium, flavonoids, omega-3 fatty acids, etc., have a lower risk of getting affected by asthma.
Many of these nutrients are rich in antioxidants that guard the cells. But, researchers believe that it is only a combination of nutrients and not just one particular variety of nutrient that helps control or prevent asthma.
But, there is no alternative to good nutrients that make your body strong from the inside and strengthen its defence against the outside threats, including those from the respiratory viruses that can cause asthma.
Here are some foods that you should include to make your defence against asthma strong:
1. Vegetables And Fruits: It is always good to be on the safer side by eating lots of fresh fruits and vegetables, so that your immunity gets strong as a whole.
2. Omega-3 Fatty Acids: Have adequate fish in your diet as well as superfoods like flax seeds containing omega-3 fatty acids. There is no proof that they guarantee prevention of asthma, but you can eat them to be in good health.
Don't Take These Foods:
More than taking certain foods, asthma is more related to not taking certain types of foods. Here are some of them which you must avoid:
1. High-calorie Diet: As mentioned earlier, obesity makes you more vulnerable to ailments like asthma and hence you should be very careful about taking foods that give a high amount of calories.
2. Trans Fats And Omega-6 Fatty Acids: Say no to processed foods that contain these fats and fatty acids, as they might worsen asthma and its symptoms.
3. Preservatives: Sulphites that are used to preserve food can cause temporary asthma symptoms. These preservatives can give off sulphur dioxide that is unhealthy for the lungs. Avoid processed and canned foods, as they contain these preservatives.
4. Foods That Cause Allergy: Though the number is very less, yet there are people with asthma who are allergic to foods like eggs, peanuts, seafood, etc., and consumption of even a slight amount of these foods can lead to serious attacks of asthma.