For Quick Alerts
For Daily Alerts

Don't Mistake These Signs For Food Allergy

By Lekhaka

Many of us suffer from food allergies. However, sometimes we mistake certain signs to be food allergies when they are actually not food allergies. Here we shall discuss these signs that we often make mistakes with.

Medically no motive has been found why a young child or an adult might develop a certain food allergy. What is known about the causes is the resistance system ends up attacking specific properties in the food. Most frequently what is attacked is the proteins present in particular foods like shellfish, sea food and peanuts.

The resistance system is not able to break the food that has been consumed, so it tries to get rid of the issue by making substances or an allergy. The causes are related to the antibodies found in foods. The immune system does not recognize these antibodies and for that reason the immune system tries to defend the body.

The first response is the resistance system discharging specific substances to aid break down the food and flush the antibody from the system. The outcome of this is typically swelling, sneezing, cough and cold, hives, diarrhoea or constipation and anaphylactic shock in patients who have serious cases of food allergic reactions.

Now let us see the symptoms that we assume to be a result of food allergies. The first one is headaches. If after consuming certain food items, you get headaches, it does not mean that you are allergic to it. It only means that you are sensitive to it.

If you suffer from some reactions after say an hour or so, it is not because of food allergies. If you are allergic to certain foods, you will get the symptoms right away.

If on eating the same type of food every time you do not get the allergies, it means that you are not allergic to it. If you are allergic to a certain food item, you will get allergy every time you consume it.

If you are allergic to any food item, consuming even a little bit of it will cause food allergy. However, in case you are sensitive to it, you might not get any reaction on consuming small quantities of it.

Read more about: foods allergy
Story first published: Friday, December 16, 2016, 4:01 [IST]
We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. This includes cookies from third party social media websites and ad networks. Such third party cookies may track your use on Boldsky sites for better rendering. Our partners use cookies to ensure we show you advertising that is relevant to you. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on Boldsky website. However, you can change your cookie settings at any time. Learn more