- 9 min ago Daily Horoscope, 02 October 2022: Today's Horoscope Predictions For All Zodiac Signs
- 11 hrs ago 5 DIY Face Scrubs For The Radiant Glow
- 13 hrs ago Happy Durga Puja 2022: Wishes, Images, Quotes, Photos, Greetings & Whatsapp Status
- 15 hrs ago GQ Best Dressed Awards 2022: Nora Fatehi, Esha Gupta, Pooja Hegde & Others Dazzle At The Red Carpet
- Sports Road Safety World Series 2022: India Legends beat Sri Lanka Legends by 33 runs to lift trophy
- News Swachh Survekshan 2022: CM Shivraj Singh Chouhan, Cong's Nath hail top ranks for MP, Indore
- Finance Cryptocurrency Fails To Stabilize, Market-cap Slips 1.39%: Bitcoin Plunges To US$ 19,286
- Movies Bigg Boss Telugu 6 Elimination Week 4: Will It Be Arohi?
- Education IGNOU Exam Form 2022 Out for December Term End Examinations, Apply Now at ignou.ac.in
- Automobiles 2023 Tata Harrier Spotted Testing - Gets ADAS, New Design & More
- Technology Realme Smartphones Receiving Updates For Jio 5G Support
- Travel List of The Shortest Rivers In The World
A study conducted by the Terasaki Institute for Biomedical Innovation (TIBI) developed a contact lens that can detect and identify exosomes, nanometer-sized vesicles present in human fluids that may serve as diagnostic biomarkers (a molecule, gene, or characteristic that can be used to identify a particular pathological or physiological process, disease, etc.) for cancer.
The results of this study have been published in the journal Advanced Functional Materials .
Here are the important points from the study:
- The contact lens can detect cancer early and assist in its treatment using tears.
- Researchers at the Terasaki Institute for Biomedical Innovation (TIBI) in California have developed a novel lens capable of capturing and detecting exosomes, nanometer-sized vesicles found in body secretions that could serve as biomarkers for cancer diagnosis.
- The lens contains microchambers bound to antibodies that can capture exosomes found in tears. As a result, this technology offers a potential method for cancer pre-screening and a non-invasive, rapid, sensitive, cost-effective, and easy diagnostic tool.
- To eliminate the need for these isolation methods, the TIBI team developed an ACSM-CL that captures exosomes from tears, which is a cleaner source of exosomes than blood, urine, or saliva.
- For structural retention, the team used laser cutting and engraving rather than conventional cast molding when fabricating the microchambers for their lens.
- Moreover, the team developed a method of chemically modifying the surfaces of microchambers to activate them for antibody binding. Instead of using metallic or nanocarbon materials in expensive clean rooms, this method was used.
- The results of the detection and non-detection of exosomes in the three cell lines confirmed the lens's ability to capture and detect exosomes with different surface markers, such as cancers .
"Exosomes are a rich source of markers and biomolecules which can be targeted for several biomedical applications," said Ali Khadem Hosseini, Ph.D., TIBI's Director and CEO. "The methodology that our team has developed greatly facilitates our ability to tap into this source ."
Use Of Exosomes In Cancer Detection
Exosomes are capable of transporting a variety of biomolecules between cells. It has also been shown that exosomes contain various surface proteins - some of which are common to all exosomes. In contrast, others are increased in response to cancer, viral infections, or injury .
Additionally, exosomes derived from tumours can have a significant impact on the progression of tumours. As a result of these capabilities, exosomes have been widely used in cancer diagnosis and prognosis/treatment prediction.
However, it has been difficult to isolate exosomes in sufficient quantities and purity for this purpose. In addition, the current method of analysis requires time-consuming elements that require a lot of effort .
Furthermore, the detection of isolated exosomes is complicated by the need for expensive and space-consuming equipment.
- wellnessCOVID-19: Is It Safe To Wear Contact Lenses During The Pandemic?
- wellness9 Dangerous Side Effects Of Contact Lenses You Should Know
- disorders cureWhat Is Colorectal Cancer? 9 Important Tests Used To Diagnose Colon Cancer
- wellnessNational List Of Essential Medicines (NLEM) 2022: Popular Antacid And 25 Medicines Removed, Full List
- wellnessGlucose Metabolism Is Surprisingly Normal In Cancer, Says New Study
- wellnessCervical Cancer Vaccine: All You Need To Know About India's Self-Developed HPV Vaccine
- wellnessSmoking, Alcohol & High BMI Are Primary Risk Factors For Cancer Death: Study
- disorders cureMen At Higher Risks Of Most Cancer Types Than Women: Insights From New Study
- zodiac signsVenus Transit In Cancer On 07 August 2022: Impact On Zodiac Signs And Remedies
- wellness'Tobacco Causes Painful Death': New Health Warning From December 1 On Tobacco Packs
- wellnessGerman Scientists Develop Bacterial Microrobots To Combat Cancer Without Any Pain And Tears
- wellnessScientists From Japan Genetically Engineered Parasitic Worms To Detect And Kill Cancer Cells