- 16 min ago 71st Republic Day 2020: Let Us Test Your Knowledge About India
- 46 min ago Dehydrated? Eat These 15 Hydrating Foods For Relief
- 1 hr ago 7 Surprising Benefits Of Working Out With A Partner
- 2 hrs ago Janhvi Kapoor And Arjun Kapoor Grace The Ramp In Fascinating Outfits At Blenders Pride Fashion Tour
- Movies Bigg Boss Kannada Season 7 - Harish Raj’s Credibility Questioned By The Housemates?
- Sports I-League: NEROCA FC 0-Mohun Bagan 3: Mariners consolidate top spot with a win against NEROCA
- News CISF jawan posted at Mukesh Ambani's Antilia shoots himself, dies
- Technology Exclusive: IQOO To Launch Smartphone In February, Sets 1 Million Sales Target
- Finance Best Travel Credit Cards in India
- Automobiles Tata Altroz Launched In India Starting At Rs 5.29 Lakh Ex-Showroom
- Travel 10 Best Places To Visit In Jammu and Kashmir In 2020
- Education IIM Bangalore Women In Leadership Course Tanmatra
Forget Mediterranean diet, Paleo diet, Atkins diet and DASH (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) diet! Lacto-vegetarian diet is the new trend - which people are opting due to its numerous health benefits.
What Is A Lacto-vegetarian Diet?
A lacto-vegetarian diet is a type of vegetarian diet that excludes poultry, meat, seafood, and eggs. In other words, a lacto-vegetarian diet includes all plant-based foods and dairy products like yogurt, cheese, milk, goat's milk, etc.
According to a study, reducing the intake of meat and other animal products benefits your health in several ways  .
In India, some communities follow a lacto-vegetarian diet as their religious practices and beliefs demand so.
Health Benefits Of Lacto-vegetarian Diet
1. Aids in losing weight
Studies have shown that body mass index (BMI) is lower in vegetarians as compared to those who eat meat  . Plant-based diets contain fewer calories, more fibre than meat-based diets, which is beneficial for losing weight.
2. Supports heart health
According to a report published in the Journal of the American Heart Association, lacto-vegetarian diet aids in lowering bad cholesterol, which is a major contributor to heart disease  . Vegetarian diet, like the lacto-vegetarian diet, is helpful in reducing high blood pressure level, thereby lowering the risk for heart attack and brain stroke.
3. Prevents cancer
According to a study published in the Cancer Management and Research, the consumption of a vegetarian diet can lower the risk of developing several kinds of cancer by 10-12 per cent  .
4. Controls blood sugar
Research studies have shown that lacto-vegetarian diet can control blood sugar levels. A study which included 255 type 2 diabetic people who consumed vegetarian diet had a significant reduction in haemoglobin A1c (HbA1c)  .
156,000 adults who followed a lacto-vegetarian diet were 33 per cent less likely to have type 2 diabetes, compared to those who follow non-vegetarian diets, mentioned concluded a research study, published in the Nutrition Journal  .
Foods To Eat On A Lacto-vegetarian Diet
- Fruits- Oranges, peaches, bananas, apples, melons, berries, and pears.
- Vegetables- Bell peppers, spinach, broccoli, cauliflower, kale and arugula.
- Whole grains- Oats, rice, quinoa, amaranth, barley, and buckwheat.
- Legumes- Chickpeas, peas, lentils, and beans.
- Dairy products- Butter, cheese, yogurt, and milk.
- Healthy fats- Avocado, olive oil, and coconut oil.
- Nuts- Hazelnuts, almonds, walnuts, Brazil nuts, pistachios, and nut butters.
- Protein foods- Tofu, tempeh, vegetarian protein powder, whey, and nutritional yeast.
- Seeds- Sunflower seeds, chia seeds,pumpkin seeds, Flaxseeds, and hemp seeds.
- Herbs and spices- Rosemary, thyme, cumin, oregano, turmeric, pepper, and basil.
Foods To Avoid On A Lacto-vegetarian Diet
- Meat- Lamb, beef, pork, veal, and processed meat products like sausage, bacon, and deli meat.
- Poultry- Chicken, goose, turkey, duck, and quail.
- Eggs- Egg yolks, egg whites, and whole eggs.
- Seafood- Sardines, mackerel, tuna, salmon, shrimp, and anchovies.
- Meat-based ingredients- Carmine, gelatin, suet, and lard.
Side Effects Of Lacto-vegetarian Diet
Meat, seafood, and poultry are a rich source of protein, zinc, iron, omega 3 fatty acids, and vitamin B12. Eggs are an excellent source of vitamin A and vitamin D. A deficiency in these nutrients can lead to certain health conditions like changes in mood, anaemia, impaired immune function, and stunted growth  ,  .
Diet Plan For Lacto-vegetarian Diet
Monday meal plan
Lunch Dinner Breakfast Lunch Dinner Breakfast
Breakfast Lunch Dinner
Tuesday meal plan
Wednesday meal plan
Thursday meal plan
Friday meal plan
Healthy Snacks To Include In A Lacto-vegetarian Diet
Breakfast Lunch Dinner
Breakfast Lunch Dinner
Lunch Breakfast Lunch