- Movies Lactating Is Wonderful: Debina Bonnerjee Shares Healing Journey Post C-Section Delivery Of Second Daughter
- Finance Stock To Buy: This Large Cap Banking Stock Zoomed 16.28% In 1 Month, Buy For Rs 197 Target Price
- Sports Badminton Asia Junior Championships 2022: Unnati Hooda cruises into quarter-finals
- Technology Moto X40 Pro High-Quality Renders, Video Leaked: Can It Challenge Other Flagship Devices?
- News Server crash at Mumbai airport, huge queue at counters; flight services hit
- Education CLAT Hall Ticket 2023 will be out n 1st week of December 2022: Get the Direct Link & Steps to Download the Hal
- Automobiles December 2022 - New Car Launches In India - Here's What You Should Look Out For
- Travel What Is G20 Presidency And What ASI Sites To Be Illuminated From Dec 1 To 7, Know Details
The benefits of garlic are plenty; however, how many of these are, in fact, scientifically true? A kitchen staple in cuisines over the world and a widely-used home remedy, the uses of garlic are almost never-ending. Today, we will help you understand some of the scientifically-proven health benefits of garlic. The benefits of garlic mentioned here in this article are based on human studies.
Nutritional Value Of Garlic
The values mentioned here are of a single garlic clove .
Health Benefits Of Garlic
1. Provides relief from the common cold
Known for its antibacterial, antifungal and antiseptic properties, garlic can improve your immunity, thereby protecting against illnesses such as the common cold. Also, the compound allicin in garlic helps kill the bacteria that cause sore throat. You can add garlic directly to your food or use garlic supplements .
2. Can help manage blood pressure levels
As per studies, the active compounds in garlic can help reduce high blood pressure levels, thereby reducing the risk of cardiovascular diseases such as heart attacks, stroke etc. However, according to studies, supplement doses must be fairly high to have the desired effects. Therefore, the amount needed is about four garlic cloves per day .
3. Contains potent medicinal properties
The sulphur compounds in garlic are responsible for this property, especially allicin . Garlic's health benefits are primarily attributed to sulphur compounds formed during the crushing, chewing, or chopping.
4. Can reduce the risk of heart disease
As aforementioned, the active compounds present in garlic can help reduce blood pressure levels and improve cholesterol levels - both of which work together to lower the risk of heart diseases .
5. May help prevent dementia
Due to its high antioxidant content, garlic (compounds) has been shown to help prevent the onset of cognitive diseases such as Alzheimer's and dementia . Also, garlic supplements have been shown to reduce total and LDL (bad) cholesterol, particularly in those with high cholesterol.
6. May improve athletic performance
Reports show that garlic was used in the early times as a 'performance-enhancing substance' for athletes . The herb's ability to improve athletic performance can be attributed to its ability to reduce fatigue and improve physical performance .
7. May improve bone health
While this point requires more research, existing studies show that garlic supplements may help improve bone health. A study showed that a daily dose of dry garlic extract, equal to 2 g of raw garlic, reduced the marker of oestrogen deficiency, thereby improving bone strength and reducing loss of bone mass .
8. May help detoxify
The sulphur compounds in garlic may help protect the internal organs against heavy metal toxicity . Studies have shown that garlic reduced lead levels in the blood by 19 per cent and even clinical signs of toxicity, including headaches and high blood pressure levels .
On A Final Note...
The intake of high doses of garlic supplements does not make you immune to the disease. Garlic's medicinal properties can only improve health to a certain extent. Moreover, eating too much garlic can leave you with a smelly mouth.
Note: If you are taking blood-thinning medications, consult your doctor before increasing your garlic consumption.
- wellnessSingle Clove Garlic: What Are The Health Benefits Of This Garlic Type And How Is It Used?
- wellnessAmazing Health Benefits Of Black Garlic: Good For The Heart, Digestive Health And Immunity
- skin careTurmeric And Garlic Homemade Face Masks For Fighting Acne: Which One Would You Choose?
- wellnessHow Does Garlic Help You Stay Healthy During The Winter Season?
- wellnessHome Remedies That ACTUALLY Work: From Peppermint, Garlic To Honey, Turmeric And More
- wellnessEffective Home Remedies To Restore The Sense Of Smell And Taste
- wellness11 Safe And Effective Home Remedies To Remove Earwax And Treat Earache
- wellnessBenefits Of Ginger, Garlic And Honey With Warm Water
- pulseUnique Garlic Peeling Hack Is Blowing People's Minds
- wellness11 Best Home Remedies For Cataract
- disorders cure10 Effective Home Remedies & Lifestyle Tips For Meningitis
- skin careHow To Use Garlic To Treat Pimples