- 37 min ago Alaya F's Yellow Dress Is For Those Who Want To Keep It Simple And Sassy At Party Nights
- 1 hr ago Are You A Commitment-Phobic? 11 Signs That Tell The Same
- 1 hr ago Shraddha Kapoor’s Green Pantsuit Is For All Those Working Women Who Love Playing With Colours
- 2 hrs ago Ranveer Singh Makes Not-So-Casual Fashion Statement With A Gucci Tee, Leopard Pants And A Black Hat
- Finance Govt’s Total Receipts In April-January At Rs 12.82 Lakh Crore
- Movies Making A Mark In Bollywood With Saaho, Prabhas Gave The Biggest Non-Holiday Opener Of 2019!
- Sports Hero I-League: Mohun Bagan set to take on TRAU in Imphal
- News Coronavirus: 112 Wuhan evacuees sheltered at ITBP quarantine facility test negative
- Technology AGR Dues: Airtel Makes Payment Of Rs. 8,004 Crore To DOT
- Automobiles Mercedes-Benz E Class Facelift Models To Launch In India This Year: Details And Expected Price
- Education UPSC Tie-breaking Principles For Civil Services And Other Exams
- Travel March 2020: Indian Festivals And Events Guide
Avocados are one of those fruits that have gained immense popularity due to their incredible nutritional value and diverse culinary applications. They are rich in fibre, potassium, antioxidants and healthy fats.
An avocado fruit has a large seed that is discarded and the fruit is eaten. The seed is encased in a hard shell and comprises 13-18% of the size of the whole fruit. The seed of an avocado is known to have significant amounts of fatty acids, fibre, carbohydrates, and a small amount of protein .
Avocado seed is rich in phenolic compounds, a contributing factor for the health benefits it possesses .
Health Benefits Of Avocado Seed
1. Lowers cholesterol
The fibre in an avocado seed helps increase good (HDL) cholesterol and decrease bad (LDL) cholesterol. High cholesterol is a contributing factor for coronary heart disease, stroke, high blood pressure, and type 2 diabetes. The antioxidant activity of phenolic compounds in avocado seed flour has a hypolipidemic effect in lowering cholesterol .
2. Reduces diabetes risk
A study published in the Malaysian Journal of Medical Sciences showed that avocado seeds contain bioactive phytochemicals which have the ability to lower the risk of diabetes .
3. Decreases blood pressure
Studies have shown that avocado seed extracts can help relax the blood vessels, which further helps to lower high blood pressure, a major risk factor for heart disease .
4. Manages Alzheimer's disease
According to a study, avocado seeds are used in traditional medicine for the treatment of Alzheimer's disease. It is due to the presence of antioxidant activity and radical scavenging ability in the seeds that are linked to the treatment of Alzheimer's disease .
Avocado seeds have also been found to contain fungicidal, insecticidal, and anti-microbial properties.
Possible Side Effects Of Consuming Avocado Seed
Currently, there isn't enough evidence to claim that consumption of avocado seeds are safe for humans or not. The research is only limited to animal studies.