- 10 hrs ago Dexamethasone Vs Methylprednisolone In COVID-19 Treatment: Which Drug Is Better?
- 10 hrs ago Is Your Partner Pocketing You? Know All About Pocketing In Relationships
- 10 hrs ago Miss Universe 2021: Miss Mexico Andrea Meza Wins The Crown And Stuns In Her Ruby Red Gown
- 12 hrs ago Miss Universe 2021: Mexico's Andrea Meza Wins The Crown - 12 Facts About The Beauty Queen
- Movies Prashanth Sambargi On His Bigg Boss Kannada 8 Journey: My Biggest Takeaway Was To Respect People's Emotions
- News Rajasthan BJP slams Congress leaders questioning export of COVID-19 vaccines
- Automobiles Mitsubishi Ralliart Set To Make A Comeback: Lots Of Sideways Rallying Action Coming Soon
- Sports SS Das named Indian women's team's batting coach
- Education Calcutta University Result 2021 Declared For BA And BSc Odd Semester
- Technology Oppo Reno6 5G Live Images Surface; iPhone 12 Ripoff?
- Finance Facebook To Come Up With Its Own Cryptocurrency Diem In 2021
- Travel Best Places To Visit In Andaman and Nicobar Islands In May
Goat milk is the most commonly consumed type of dairy worldwide. It is estimated that over 65 per cent of the world's population drink goat milk. Goat milk is said to be an excellent alternative to cow milk because it's rich in essential nutrients, easier to digest and slightly lower in lactose than cow's milk .
Goat milk is also extremely versatile, it is used to make cheese, smoothies, desserts, soap and skin care products.
In this article, we'll explore what is goat milk and its health benefits.
What Is Goat Milk?
Goat milk is a type of nutrient-dense milk produced from goats. It is a good source of essential nutrients like fat, protein, vitamins and minerals such as vitamin B6, vitamin A, calcium and phosphorus. In fact, studies have shown that goat's milk contains 25 per cent more vitamin B6, 47 per cent more vitamin A and 13 per cent more calcium than cow's milk. Goat milk is also rich in medium-chain fatty acids which possess unique health benefits .
Goat milk is safe for infants as well. It differs from human or cow milk in terms of higher digestibility, distinct alkalinity and therapeutic values in human nutrition. Goat milk is thicker and creamier than cow's milk or any plant-based milk.
Nutritional Information Of Goat Milk
Health Benefits Of Goat Milk
1. Promotes heart health
Consuming goat milk will keep your heart healthy due to its high magnesium content. Magnesium is an important mineral beneficial for your heart; it helps to maintain a regular heartbeat, prevents the formation of blood clots and increases good cholesterol . A 2005 study published in the Journal of Dairy Science found that goat milk consumption increases good cholesterol levels and decreases bad cholesterol levels .
2. Supports bone health
Goat milk is rich in calcium, an essential mineral that helps keep your bones and teeth stronger. As goat milk has high calcium content than cow's milk, consuming goat milk will provide your body with enough amounts of calcium and lower the risk of osteoporosis. A study published in the International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Research showed that drinking fresh goat milk increases calcium levels and prevents the risk of osteoporosis. Goat milk also contains medium-chain fatty acids, which play a major role in the absorption of calcium and phosphorus, the two essential minerals that help maintain bone health .
3. Lowers inflammation
Studies have shown that goat milk has anti-inflammatory properties which can help fight inflammation. Animal studies have found that goat milk contains oligosaccharides which exhibits anti-inflammatory effects in colitis and hence, may be useful in managing inflammatory bowel disease  .
4. May treat anaemia
Animal studies have shown that the iron bioavailability in goat milk is superior to that of cow milk. This means that consumption of goat milk will help improve your iron levels and can reduce the risk of iron-deficiency anaemia , .
5. Easier to digest
The fat globules in goat milk are smaller and this is probably one reason why the milk is easier to digest. People with digestive problems or who are lactose intolerant can easily tolerate goat's milk .
6. Enhances skin health
Goat milk is a good source of vitamin A;this vitamin helps improve your skin, reduce acne and delay the onset of wrinkles. In addition, goat milk contains lactic acid, which helps remove dead skin cells and brightens skin tone .
7. Lowers digestive problems in infants
Pasteurised goat milk is well tolerated by infants with gastrointestinal problems. Studies have shown that when goat milk is fed to infants, gastrointestinal problems like diarrhoea and constipation are eliminated .
Does Goat Milk Have Any Side Effects?
Studies have reported that goat milk allergy, which is not associated with cow milk allergy, is a rare disorder. This allergy could be attributed to the casein content in goat milk. Other than this goat milk consumption is safe for most people.
Goat Milk Vs Cow Milk
Goat milk contains more vitamin B6, vitamin A and calcium than cow milk and research studies show that goat's milk may increase the body's ability to absorb essential nutrients from foods. On the other hand, cow milk interferes with the absorption of essential minerals like iron and copper when consumed with other foods.
In addition, goat milk is lower in lactose than cow milk and therefore, people who are lactose intolerant are able to digest goat milk better than cow milk.
How To Use Goat Milk?
- Goat milk can be replaced 1:1 ratio for any type of milk in all kinds of recipes.
- Goat milk blends well in shakes and smoothies.
- You can add goat milk to oats, soups and sauces.
- Goat milk can be used for making desserts.