- 57 min ago Weekly Horoscope, 27 November To 03 December 2022, Check This Week Horoscope Prediction For All Zodiac Signs
- 2 hrs ago Daily Horoscope, 27 November 2022: Today's Horoscope Predictions For All Zodiac Signs
- 13 hrs ago Sapta Moksha Puri: The 7 Holy Cities To Visit For Final Liberation
- 14 hrs ago You Might Live Longer If You Have A Sense Of Purpose, Study
- Finance Stock Split Of Nov 2022: Multibagger Small Cap Stock Approves Stock Split
- Sports India vs New Zealand, 2nd ODI: Toss Update: Williamson elects to field; Hooda, Chahar replace Samson & Thakur
- Technology India Vs New Zealand ODI Series: How To Watch It For Free Using VPN
- News ‘800 officers found nothing’, Sisodia slams Centre as CBI, ED gives clean chit in Delhi excise case
- Movies Bigg Boss Tamil 6: Kamal Haasan Slams Contestants For Playing ‘Safe Game’
- Automobiles Force Urbania Bookings Open – Limited Dealers Authorised To Accept Bookings
- Travel Roraima Tepui Trek - Wild, Offbeat and Trail-worthy
- Education BPSC 67th Mains Exam 2022: Exam Schedule Announced At bpsc.bih.nic.in, Check Application Fee & Schedule Here
Vitamin B3 is also called niacin, which is an important water-soluble vitamin that can be found in many common foods, including certain types of meat, mushrooms, tuna fish, seeds and others.
Niacin is a part of the Vitamin B complex and other B vitamins, including vitamin B1 (thiamine), vitamin B2 (riboflavin) and more. Niacin is considered as an important vitamin for maintaining a healthy cardiovascular system and metabolism and it also helps with the brain function and in treating diabetes.
Though a deficiency of niacin is very rare in some of the developed countries; however, in certain countries where malnutrition is common, people are affected with vitamin B3 deficiency.
The symptoms of vitamin B3 deficiency include indigestion, fatigue, vomiting, depression, headache, memory loss, etc. In order to prevent niacin deficiency, here are some foods which are high in vitamin B3 and the benefits that they bring to the overall health.
1. Chicken And Turkey
Chicken and turkey are widely consumed all over the world. These meats are a very good source of niacin. 100 grams of cooked chicken breast provides 74 percent of the daily recommended value of vitamin B3. Turkey breast contains 50 percent of vitamin B3.
Fish is also one of the best sources of vitamin B3. Among all the fish, tuna fish is exceptionally high in vitamin B3, providing 110 percent of the daily recommended value. Other varieties of fish that also contain niacin are mackerel and salmon. Plus they are also rich in omega-3 fatty acids and protein.
Pork is also one of the widely consumed meats after chicken and beef and it is high in vitamin B3. A serving of 100 grams of cooked lean pork contains 54 percent of the daily recommended value. You can consume pork a few times in a week, but always opt for lean pork to keep the fat content to the minimum.
4. Green Peas
Vegetarians needn't worry about their daily intake of vitamin B3. There are plenty of vegetables that contain niacin, including green peas. A serving of 100 grams of green peas provides 10 percent of the daily recommended value of vitamin B3.
All types of mushrooms are a good source of vitamin B3. Mushrooms contain 71 percent of niacin and also possess anti-cancer properties. White button mushrooms contain significant amounts of niacin with 35 percent of the daily recommended value.
Broccoli is one of the best natural sources of vitamin B3. Cooked or steamed broccoli can provide you with 1 milligram of niacin. Apart from providing the body with sufficient amounts of niacin, broccoli contains fibre, antioxidants and other important nutrients.
Asparagus is one of the most nutrient-dense foods and it is a good source of niacin too. Asparagus can provide you with 1 milligram of niacin and also it is high in nutritional value. You can prepare asparagus as a main dish or add it in chicken or beef curries.
Peanuts are crunchy legumes that can fulfil your daily requirement of vitamin B3. A 100 grams of serving provides 69 percent of vitamin B3. Peanut butter is equally beneficial when it comes to vitamin B3 if it is only organic peanut butter.
9. Kidney Beans
Kidney beans contain some amount of niacin. A 100 grams of serving contains 2 milligrams of niacin and these beans are extremely versatile. You can add kidney beans into your soups or cook them up as a main dish.
These are some of the benefits of vitamin B3. Have a look.
10. Improves Cholesterol Levels
Vitamin B3 is considered to be a very important nutrient in lowering cholesterol levels. This vitamin has been proven to lower the risk of cardiovascular diseases and reduces the risk of heart attack and stroke by lowering the bad cholesterol level in the body.
11. Treat Diabetes
Vitamin B3 may be helpful in treating diabetes because of the role it plays in balancing blood sugar levels. Most diabetic patients are able to control blood glucose levels better with the help of vitamin B3 or niacin.
12. Supports Brain Function
Studies have shown that vitamin B3 can help protect against Alzheimer's disease and other age-related brain disorders. A decrease in niacin leads to poor brain function, memory loss, migraine, headaches, motion sickness, etc.
13. Treats Arthritis
Vitamin B3 is effective in treating arthritis and can lower the risk of joint pain, and enhance muscle strength. High doses of niacin has been shown to improve flexibility and reduce the swelling in joints in arthritis patients.
Share this article!
If you liked reading this article, don't hesitate to share it with your close ones.
- diabetesIs Fish Good For People With Diabetes?
- wellnessWho Is A Pescatarian? Benefits Of A Pescatarian Diet, Its Drawbacks, What To Eat And Other Details
- wellnessSteaming, Grilling, Deep-Frying Or Microwaving? What Is The Healthiest Way To Cook Fish?
- wellnessThe Longevity Diet: What To Eat And How Does It Work? Know More About This Diet Plan
- diabetesDiabetes Awareness Month 2019: 24 Foods That Help Manage Diabetes
- nutrition10 Excellent Health Benefits Of Fish
- nutrition9 Amazing Health Benefits Of Halibut Fish You Didn't Know
- nutritionHealth Benefits Of Herring Fish You Probably Didn't Know
- diet fitnessEating This One Food Twice A Week Can Reduce The Risk Of Heart Attacks!
- wellnessHeart Attack Warning: Eat This Meal To Lower Your Risk
- nutrition12 Best Foods To Cleanse Your Arteries