- 6 hrs ago Don’t Throw Away The Peel Of These Fruits And Vegetables, They Have Benefits And Other Uses Too
- 7 hrs ago Afghan Women Fight For Education, Jobs And Representation In New Government
- 9 hrs ago Teja Dashmi 2021: Date, History, Significance And Legends Associated With This Festival
- 12 hrs ago No Of People Who Got At Least One Jab In India Highest In World: Health Ministry
- Movies Bigg Boss OTT: Raqesh Bapat Says 'I Love You' To Shamita Shetty, Leaves Her Speechless With His Confession
- News Over 77 crore Covid vaccines doses administered so far: Govt
- Sports With dressing room drifting away, Kohli quits T20 captaincy but it might not safeguard 50-over leadership
- Automobiles Rs 26,058 Crore PIL Scheme Approved By Government Of India; Government Expects 7.5 Lakh Job Opportunities & Rs
- Finance Air Traffic Increases 34% MoM In August
- Technology Realme Pad Review: Best Tablet In The Sub-20K Price-Point?
- Travel Awesome Beaches In India To Visit This Winter
- Education Vishwakarma Puja 2021: Date, History, Significance And All You Need To Know
Folate, also known as vitamin B9, is a water-soluble vitamin, which is a part of the B-complex vitamin group. Folate, or vitamin B9, primarily helps the body to make new cells, specifically by playing a role in copying and synthesizing DNA.
Folate also aids the body to utilize vitamin B12 and amino acids. A deficiency of this vitamin causes anaemia, poor immune function and digestion. Pregnant women having a deficiency in folate can be affected by having kids with neural tube defects.
Not only pregnant women, even breastfeeding mothers, people with liver disease, alcoholics, and diabetes patients can also be at a risk of a folate deficiency.
To address any possible folate deficiencies, make sure that you include these folate-rich foods in your diet. Here is a list of 10 foods that are rich in folate, or vitamin B9.
1. Dark Leafy Greens
Spinach, collard greens, kale, turnip greens and lettuce are rich in folate, making them one of the healthiest foods. Including these vegetables in your daily diet will give you an immediate boost in vitamin B9. A large plate of these green veggies will fulfil all your daily folate needs.
Asparagus is one of the nutrient-dense foods with vitamin B9. Eating a cup of boiled asparagus provides 33 percent of the daily recommended value of folate. Vitamin K, vitamin C, vitamin A and manganese are also present in asparagus.
Broccoli is one of the best known detox foods and it is a great source of folate. One cup of broccoli provides approximately 14 percent of your daily folate vitamin. You can enjoy broccoli by having it boiled or steamed.
4. Citrus Fruits
Many citrus fruits rank the highest in folate. Oranges are a good source of vitamin B9. One orange contains about 50 mcg of folate. Other fruits that are also rich in folate are papaya, grapefruit, grapes, banana, and strawberries.
Beans, peas and lentils are high in folate. A small bowl of legumes will provide most of your daily folate needs. Black beans, kidney beans, green peas and green beans are some of the legumes that you can include in your daily diet.
Avocado, also known as butter fruit, contains 110 mcg of folate per cup, which accounts for approximately 28 percent of your daily needs. Not only avocados are one of the best foods rich in folate but are also an excellent source of fatty acids and dietary fibre.
7. Lady's Finger
Lady's finger is rich in folate, or vitamin B9, and simultaneously offers other vitamins and minerals. Lady's finger helps in cleansing the entire digestive tract and removes the toxins away. A half cup of cooked lady's finger will give you approximately 103 mcg of folate.
8. Nuts And Seeds
Pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds and flax seeds are rich in folate. Sunflower seeds and flax seeds are especially high in folate and nuts like peanuts and almonds are also full of folate. Have them raw or add them in your salads.
Cauliflower is a cruciferous vegetable which is a great source of folate. One cup of cauliflower will provide you with approximately 55 mcg of folate, accounting for 14 percent of your recommended daily value.
Beetroots are a great source of antioxidants and are also rich in folate or vitamin B9. Beetroot is also one of the best foods to cleanse your liver. Consuming one cup of beetroot will provide you with approximately 14 percent of folate to meet your daily needs.
Carrots are another vegetable which work wonders for your health. A cup of raw carrots will give you almost 5 percent of your daily recommended need for vitamin B9. Eat baby carrots as a snack or add them in your salads.
Corn consists of plenty of folate and just one cup of cooked corn will provide you with approximately 34 mcg of folate. Instead of opting for canned corn, go for organic and fresh corn.
Share this article!
If you liked reading this article, share it with your close ones.
ALSO READ: 10 Foods Rich In Vitamin B7 (Biotin)