- 4 hrs ago People With Lung Cancer Have A High Risk Of Depression
- 4 hrs ago Pati Patni Aur Woh Actress Bhumi Pednekar Raises Mercury Levels With Her Eclectic Fashion!
- 5 hrs ago Gita Jayanti 2019: Know The History, Date And Significance Of This Day
- 6 hrs ago Nushrat Bharucha, Rajkummar Rao, And Ranveer Singh Perfectly Present Small-Town Casual Fashion
- Technology Police Seizes Over 2000 Fake Xiaomi Products In New Delhi
- Movies Prithviraj To Take A Break From Cinema!
- Sports ATK reclaim top spot in Indian Super League
- News Pakistan: Blast in Lahore, 6 injured, 1 killed
- Automobiles KTM 790 Adventure Showcased At India Bike Week Ahead Of 2020 Launch
- Finance Now 5,500 Railway Stations Have Free WiFi
- Education TOEFL Go! Global: A Mobile App From ETS To Stand Out In Exam
- Travel A Brief Travel Guide For Solo Travellers To Conquer South India
Mustard oil is commonly found in many of the kitchens. The oil is derived from the crushed seeds of the mustard plant (scientific name is Brassica juncea).
This pungent flavoured oil has been in use for culinary purposes as well as for a holistic remedy, since centuries, and is still in use as one of the commonly preferred oils.
It is used as an exotic flavouring agent, a pain reliever and also for its cosmetic uses, which are widely known. Many households swear by this oil and it finds an important place in their diet and general usage.
Below are a few of the health benefits of mustard oil when used internally as well as externally. Take a look.
1. Prevents Cardiovascular Disease
Mustard oil helps in lowering bad cholesterol and in increasing good cholesterol, as it is said to be rich in monounsaturated fats and polyunsaturated fats. It also contains omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, which aid in providing a healthy heart. Recent studies have shown that mustard oil is actually a healthy alternative to the regular cooking oils, in terms of heart health.
2. Cancer Prevention
Studies have shown that mustard oil contains cancer preventive properties. The use of mustard oil helps prevent stomach and colon cancers. Glucosinolate, found in the oil, is said to prevent cancer and tumours.
3. Relieves Pain
The use of mustard oil is effective in easing out joint pain and swelling. It is used to treat rheumatism and arthritis due to its anti-inflammatory properties.
4. Remedy For Oral Health
Mustard oil is used on the gums to strengthen them as well as the teeth. It is effective in removing plaque. It is said to be effective in removing dental bacteria. It is also known to relieve toothache, prevent mouth odour and is a natural teeth whitener.
5. Remedy For Cold And Cough
This oil is a common remedy for cold and cough and is an effective decongestant. Since it keeps the body warm, it helps in clearing congestion from the respiratory tract. This oil can also be combined with many other natural ingredients to help get rid of cold and cough and infections. It works magic in the cure of asthma and sinusitis. The oil is also said to stimulate the sweat glands, thereby lowering the body temperature and is thus effective in reducing fever.
6. Healthy Skin
Mustard oil is known to do wonders to the skin. It nourishes the skin, keeping it healthy. Mustard oil has been popularly used for massages for babies. It is done to strengthen the muscle and bones. It is also said to keep the body warm and improve blood circulation. This oil also has antibacterial and antifungal properties. It fights harmful bacteria and is commonly used to treat skin infections and rashes.
7. Healthy Hair
Mustard oil is even beneficial for hair growth. It contains beta-carotene, which promotes hair growth and keeps the scalp healthy and free from infections. Massaging the scalp and hair with this oil aids in blood circulation, it nourishes the roots of the hair, prevents greying of hair, checks hair fall and is a hair revitalizer.
8. It Is An Appetite Stimulant
Mustard oil has been used as a natural stimulant. It can boost your hunger! It increases the rate of metabolism and is known to improve digestion and enhance the appetite. It is said to be a natural stimulant, which works on the digestive juices and bile in the liver and spleen. It also helps out in the flushing of toxins from the body.
The effectiveness of mustard oil as a healthy and versatile oil is time-tested. Mustard oil is thus a good choice to be a part of your diet and lifestyle!
Share this article!
If you liked reading this article, share it with your close ones.