- 6 hrs ago A 12-Year-Old Colour-Blind Boy Gets Emotional After He Sees Colours For The First Time
- 9 hrs ago Hina Khan’s Mesmerising Blue Eye Make-up Is All You Need To Slay This Holiday Season
- 10 hrs ago Rasika Dugal's Black Outfit Can Easily Elevate Your Formal Look
- 12 hrs ago Instagram Beauty Trends Of The Week: Deepika Padukone, Ranveer Singh, Kareena Kapoor & More
- Movies Miss World 2019: Miss Jamaica Toni-Ann Singh Wins The Crown; India's Suman Rao Is The 2nd Runner Up!
- Sports West Indies built credibility with T20 performance against India, will be a force to reckon with during WC: Brian Lara
- Technology Micromax Revenue From Sales Fall 45% To Rs. 2,368.79 Crore In FY19: Report
- News CAB protest: Violence in WB; curfew relaxed in parts of Assam, Meghalaya
- Automobiles Volvo XC40 T4 R-Design Petrol Launched In India At Rs 39.90 Lakh, Ex-Showroom
- Finance RBI To Offer Liquidity Support Scheme For 24X7 Functionality Of Neft
- Travel How Christmas Is Celebrated In Different Parts Of India
- Education AIIMS BSc Nursing 2020 Registration Process Started
Do you often throw away the string of silky fibres from the end of the corn when you buy them? You will not do so now after reading this article. When you take off the greenish cover surrounding the corn cob, there is a layer of silky strings. This silky strings are called corn silk.
Corn silk contains stigmasterol and sitosterol which are effective in preventing heart diseases and high cholesterol. It also contains plant acids that help in improving oral and skin conditions. Corn silk regulates glucose levels in your body.
You can use corn silk in both fresh and dried forms and it is used as a medicine for different kinds of diseases as well.
It is used for bladder infections, inflammation of the urinary system, kidney stones, diabetes, congestive heart failure, high blood pressure and fatigue.
Read on to know more about the 10 amazing health benefits of corn silk.
1. Reduces Blood Sugar
Corn silk is great for people with high blood pressure and it helps in reducing the levels of blood sugar by increasing insulin levels in the body. It is also an excellent natural treatment for diabetes, congestive heart failure and high cholesterol, etc.
2. Provides Vitamin C
Corn silk has loads of vitamin C, which is a powerful antioxidant that helps in preventing cardiovascular diseases. Corn silk stimulates blood circulation, which is essential for the optimal functioning of all the vital organs of the body.
3. Reduces Gout
Gout is an inflammatory arthritis that develops in some people who have high levels of uric acid in the blood, which leads to severe joint pain. Corn silk is known to reduce the pain that is associated with gout. You can drink corn silk tea twice a day to reduce the pain.
4. Helps In Kidney Problems
Corn silk tea is a home remedy which is used for treating kidney problems. It is effective in treating conditions which are related to the kidneys, including urinary tract infection, bladder infection, inflammation of the urinary system, kidney stones, etc.
5. Boosts Digestion
Corn silk helps in boosting digestion and in treating digestive problems. Research has shown that corn silk can stimulate the secretion of bile by the liver. This bile is stored in the gallbladder that results in the proper digestion of food.
6. Controls Bleeding
Corn silk is loaded with vitamin K and this vitamin is important for controlling bleeding, especially in case of women who are pregnant. You can drink corn silk tea to reduce the bleeding caused by a cut or wound.
7. Relieves Headaches
Corn silk contains anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties that help to reduce chronic headaches. Drinking corn silk tea will calm you down by relieving stress, tension, improve your circulation and reduce stiffness in your shoulders, neck and jaw.
8. Provides Nutrients
Corn silk is a great source of beta-carotene, riboflavin, menthol, thymol, selenium and niacin among other essential nutrients. These nutrients are not available in all plant foods, which makes it highly beneficial for your health.
9. Supports Weight Loss
Corn silk is low in calories, which makes it easier to lose weight. Drinking corn silk tea will prolong feelings of fullness, improve your metabolism, control inflammation and facilitate the removal of waste products.
10. Treats Boils And Rashes
Corn silk is also used for treating skin problems like rashes and boils and helps in relieving itching and pain caused by insect bites, scrapes and minor cuts. Corn silk also contains antibacterial and antiseptic properties that help in preventing infections.
There is no way to consume corn silk directly, you can have it in the form of corn silk tea.
How To Make Corn Silk Tea
- Boil water and drop the fresh corn silk into it.
- Boil it for a few minutes and let it steep.
- It will turn brownish in colour and then you can strain the tea.
- Add a dash of lemon juice to enhance the taste and flavour.
Share this article!
If you liked reading this article, share it with your loved ones.