Are you aware of the health benefits of turnip? Most of us don't know the fact that turnips belong to the cruciferous vegetable family just like cabbage, kale, broccoli and Brussels sprouts.
Yes, turnips are very nutritious like the other cruciferous vegetables. Generally, the roots are eaten but even the leaves are also nutritious and edible.
Also Read: Healthy Root Vegetables You Must Try
A serving of turnip contains 1 gm of protein, 2 gms of fibre, 6 grams of carbohydrate and 28 calories. It doesn't contain fat. Even a single turnip can offer half of your daily required dose of vitamin C. Here are some other benefits of turnips.
Turnips can prevent constipation, bloating, indigestion and diarrhea. Turnips provide fibre which is good for your digestive health.
Potassium and dietary nitrates in turnips can help in controlling blood pressure. Also, the potassium can help in eliminating excess sodium. It also dilates the arteries and reduces the risk of stroke and heart attack.
Also Read:8 Vegetables That Diabetics Can Eat
A study claims that a substance known as sulphoraphane present in turnips could prevent certain types of cancers (melanoma, esophageal cancer, pancreatic cancer and prostate cancer). Also, another phytonutrient known as indoles present in turnips are said to kill colon cancer cells.
Turnips contain very few calories and the fibre in them can keep you full. So, it can be a part of your weight loss goals.
Most of us remember the citrus fruits more when it comes to vitamin C. But even turnips are a good source for this vitamin.
Also Read:Vegetables That Makes You Gassy
Turnips contain vitamins A, C, beta-carotene as well as manganese which are good for your skin. These nutrients can protect your skin from age-related damage.
Remedy For Body Odour
Drinking turnip juice regularly is said to remove your body odour. You can smear a spoon of juice under the arm pits. You can also smear it on cracked feet.
- Top 12 Health Benefits Of Raw Honey You Didn't Know
- 10 Amazing Health Benefits Of Corn Silk
- Signs You Need More Protein
- Add These Super Nutrients To Your Everyday Diet & Rev Up Your Metabolism
- Remedies For Excessive Blinking
- Essential Vitamins For Women's Health
- Is Goat Milk Good For Health?
- Is Butter Tea Healthy? Here Are The Benefits Of Butter Tea
- Health Benefits Of Gherkin
- What To Eat To Increase Muscle Mass
- Why Radish Juice Must Be A Part of Your Diet?
- Soup Or Juice Diet: Which Is Better?