Strong bones require two key nutrients - calcium and vitamin D. Calcium helps support the bones and teeth structure; and vitamin D improves the calcium absorption and bone growth.
These nutrients are important early on in your life and will help you as you age. Women are very much prone to osteoporosis. Taking baby steps right now itself will help in a big way.
Osteoporosis is a disease characterized by brittle and breaking bones. Taking plenty of calcium and vitamin D will help slow the disease and prevent fractures.
Women, who are below 50 years of age, should get about 1000 mg of calcium and 200 IU of vitamin D a day. Women over 50 must get about 1200 mg of calcium and 400 to 600 IU of vitamin D. These nutrients can be received through foods.
Dr. Manjari Chandra, Senior Consultant Nutritionist, Max Healthcare, points out that not doing enough exercise will also lead to weak bones as you age.
"I can eat all the calcium in the world, but if don't move or lift weights, then the bones will definitely become weak. Further, there is a deficiency of vitamin D in both men and women. Vitamin D is essentially a carrier of calcium in the blood.
If you face low vitamin D levels, then you're likely to have weak bones, even if you have enough calcium in your body," she informed.
As a part of the National Nutrition Week, we have listed some of the best bone-strengthening foods that help increase your calcium and vitamin D levels.
So, read further to know how to increase the bone strength naturally.
Foods like yogurt are fortified with vitamin D. One cup of yogurt also gives you a good amount of calcium as well. A fat-free plain yogurt gives you about 30% of your calcium and 20% of your vitamin D for the day. This is one of the best foods for having strong bones and joints.
Milk is definitely the best source of calcium. Eight ounces of fat-free milk can give you about 30% of your daily dose of calcium.
Just because cheese is full of calcium, you don't really have to eat in excess. Just 1.5 ounces of cheddar cheese contains more than 30% of your daily value of calcium.
This tiny fish has surprisingly high levels of vitamin D and calcium. Hence, it is best recommended to improve bone strength.
Eggs contain about 6% of vitamin D and this is mainly present in the yolk. Hence, this fact will give you an idea of how to increase your bone strength naturally,.
A 3-ounce piece of salmon contains more than 100% of your daily vitamin D value. This is considered to be one of the best foods for your bones.
If you hate dairy products, then spinach is the next best way to get calcium. One cup of cooked spinach contains almost 25% of your daily calcium requirement. This is one of the best bone-strengthening foods to opt for.
With Inputs From Dr. Manjari Chandra
- 8 Health Benefits Of Sesame Oil
- Deficiency Of Vitamin K Can Cause These Serious Health Issues
- Osteoporosis-Proof! 5 Tips to Build Healthy Bones Over 30
- Natural Ways To Boost The Immune System
- Just A Minute's Running Daily May Boost Bone Health, Study
- Football For 3 Hours A Week Boost's Bone Growth In Teenagers - Finds Study
- Natural Methods To Prevent Osteoporosis As You Age
- Smoking May Cause Bone Degeneration In Youngsters
- Exercise Helps Burn Bone Fat, Make Them Stronger
- Yogurt Consumption May Improve Bone Health In Elderly
- What Happens When You Drink A Glass Of Red Wine Every Night?
- Shocking! Continuous Lack Of Sleep Causes Bone Loss
- 10 Awesome Health Benefits Of Watermelon Seeds