- 1 hr ago Chata, The Cute Munchkin Kitten With The Cutest Sleeping Poses!
- 1 hr ago On Regina Cassandra's Birthday, Take A Look At Her Impeccable Fashion Sense
- 2 hrs ago Viral: This Adorable Penguin Migrates 8,000 KM Every Year To Meet The Man Who Saved It
- 2 hrs ago Video Of 70-Year-Old Physics Professor From Virginia Doing Crazy Experiments Goes Viral
- Movies Mamangam Day 1 Box office Collection Report: The Mammootty Starrer Sets A New Record!
- News ‘Waited for7 years, will keep fighting for justice for my daughter': Nirbhaya's mother
- Technology Moto G8 Power With 5,000mAh Battery To Soon Hit Markets
- Sports Rumour Has It: Guardiola has break clause in Manchester City contract
- Finance Tata Motors Shares Surge 6% On Boris Johnson's UK Win
- Automobiles Tata Altroz India Launch Date Confirmed: To Rival The Maruti Suzuki Baleno
- Travel 10 Beaches To Enjoy A Sunny Christmas With Your Family!
- Education AIIMS BSc Nursing 2020 Registration Process Started
The thyroid gland is a gland found inside your neck, right under your larynx or voice box. Thyroid produces three types of hormones, T3, T4 & T2.
Hormones secreted by your thyroid interact with all your other hormones, including insulin, cortisol, oestrogen, progesterone and testosterone. This is the reason why a less-than-optimal thyroid status is responsible for causing various symptoms and diseases.
Your T3 levels can be disrupted by nutritional imbalances, toxins, allergens, infections and stress, and this may lead to a series of complications, including thyroid cancer, hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism.
Hypothyroidism occurs when your thyroid produces too little thyroid hormone, a condition that is often linked to iodine deficiency. The symptoms are lethargy, weight gain, rough and dry skin, hair loss, sensitivity to cold, low basal temperature, etc.
Hyperthyroidism occurs when an overactive thyroid secretes too much T4. The symptoms are feeling restless, nervous, emotional, irregular menstrual periods in women, weight loss, irregular heartbeat, etc.
Steps to improve your thyroid health:
1) Identify and treat the underlying causes and get yourself checked.
2) Increase your iodine intake through foods.
3) Consume foods rich in vitamin A and omega-3 fatty acids.
4) Meditate and reduce stress.
5) Drink clean water and inhale clean air.
6) You should sleep well.
7) Indulge in physical activity or exercise.
Now let us look at some of the foods that you should consume to keep your thyroid healthy:
You should eat fruits to stimulate your thyroid gland. You should consume fruits high in antioxidants such as cherries, blueberries, wild strawberries, blackberries, goji berries and cranberries.
You should eat vegetables rich in calcium and vitamin C like broccoli, cauliflower, kale, etc. as these will help improve your thyroid health. They are important for a healthy diet and a healthy thyroid.
Sprouts such as bean sprouts are beneficial for maintaining thyroid health. Beans provide the body with sustained energy and contain antioxidants, protein, complex carbs, vitamins and minerals. You can add bean sprouts to soup, salad, stews and consume.
Tofu is an excellent source of amino acids, iron, calcium and other micro-nutrients, and is useful for maintaining thyroid health. Tofu is a fermented form of soy and keeps the thyroid gland healthy. Avoid processed soy products, such as protein shakes, soy powders and other processed forms of soy as they are bad for thyroid health.
Nuts such as Brazil nuts, macadamia nuts and hazelnuts are all particularly high in selenium, which helps stimulate the thyroid gland and helps keep the thyroid gland healthy. You can consume 1 or 2 Brazil nuts and a handful of other nuts. If you are hungry, keep nuts handy as snacks and consume them.
6) Olive Oil
Olive oil is rich in healthy fats and nutrients that help boost the thyroid hormone levels. It also helps lower LDL cholesterol, thus helping you reduce weight and it also keeps your heart healthy. Don't consume more than 10 tablespoons of oil per day.
Honey helps in improving thyroid health as it has a healing effect. You can consume honey in lemon water or you can prepare tea with ginger and honey.