- 58 min ago Struggling With Cakey Make-up? Here Is Your Guide To Applying Make-up On Dry Skin
- 1 hr ago 17 Foods To Eat And Avoid Before Travelling
- 1 hr ago Ananya Panday, Alia Bhatt And Other Bollywood Divas Make Fashionable Splash At An Event
- 2 hrs ago Lakme Fashion Week Summer Resort 2020: Vicky Kaushal Looks Dapper In An All-White Attire On The Ramp
- Movies Ayushmann Khurrana Is Proud Of India For The Progressiveness It Has Shown
- News Sonam Kapoor tweets RSS chief Mohan Bhagwat's divorce remarks as "regressive foolish"
- Sports India vs New Zealand: Surprised by criticism of pre-planned break: NZ coach Gary Stead
- Finance Planning for 5 Year Tax Saving Fixed Deposit? List of Things to Check
- Travel Maha Shivratri 2020: Ancient Shiva Temples In India
- Technology itel Launches Vision 1 Smartphone With 2GB RAM And 4000mAh Battery For Rs. 5,499
- Automobiles 2020 Maruti Suzuki Vitara Brezza Facelift — All You Need To Know
- Education CBSE Exam Centre Locator App: Why Class 10 & 12 Students Should Download?
Healthy semen is normally white or whitish-grey in colour, but if you see a change in semen colour you may have a reason to worry.
Sometimes producing unusual coloured semen like red, green, brown, pink or yellow can be a cause of concern due to an underlying condition. In this article, we will write about what causes yellow semen and how to treat it.
What Causes Yellow Semen
Usually, jaundice causes the skin and eyes to appear yellow, however, this condition can also affect the colour of your semen too. Jaundice occurs when the liver is unable to break down bilirubin  .
2. Prostate infection
If your semen colour appears to be yellowish-green in colour, it could be a symptom of prostate infection. Prostate infection occurs when the bacteria in the urine leak into the prostate and the symptoms include cloudy urine, pain in the lower back, painful ejaculation and frequent urination  .
3. Urine in the semen
Semen travels through the urethra, a tube that carries urine and sperm out of the body. Sometimes while urinating, little urine can get left behind in the urethra and it can get combined with the semen as it passes out of the penis. When the urine and semen get mixed up it may make the semen look yellow.
Excess production of white blood cells in the semen causes the semen to appear yellow in colour, a condition called leukocytospermia. This condition can weaken and destroy the sperm, which could further lead to infertility  .
5. Sexually transmitted infections
Sexually transmitted infections (STIs) such as chlamydia, herpes or gonorrhoea causes the semen to appear yellow in colour  .
6. Lifestyle changes
Drinking alcohol, consuming tobacco and certain medications can change the colour of the semen making it yellow. Also eating sulphur-rich foods such as onions, garlic and chives can cause yellow semen.
Symptoms Of Yellow Semen
- Problems with sexual function
- Blood in the urine
- Foul semen
When To See A Doctor
In most cases, yellow semen is temporary and usually goes away on its own. Consult a doctor, if the semen remains yellow for more than a week.
Treatment Of Yellow Semen
The treatment will start depending on the underlying cause of yellow semen. If an STI or prostate infection is causing yellow semen, antibiotics will be prescribed.
If yellow semen is due to leukocytospermia, the doctor will prescribe non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medicines and antibiotics.
If you notice a change in semen colour it might be alarming at first, but remember it could be temporary. However, if you are facing other symptoms along with yellow coloured semen, talk to your doctor immediately.
-  Abbas, M. W., Shamshad, T., Ashraf, M. A., & Javaid, R. (2016). Jaundice: a basic review.Int J Res Med Sci,4(5), 1313-1319.
-  Shang, Y., Liu, C., Cui, D., Han, G., & Yi, S. (2014). The effect of chronic bacterial prostatitis on semen quality in adult men: a meta-analysis of case-control studies.Scientific reports,4, 7233.
-  Moubasher, A., Sayed, H., Mosaad, E., Mahmoud, A., Farag, F., & Taha, E. A. (2018). Impact of leukocytospermia on sperm dynamic motility parameters, DNA and chromosomal integrity.Central European journal of urology,71(4), 470.
-  Kim, S. J., Paik, D. J., Lee, J. S., Lee, H. S., Seo, J. T., Jeong, M. S., ... & Lee, K. H. (2017). Effects of infections with five sexually transmitted pathogens on sperm quality.Clinical and experimental reproductive medicine,44(4), 207-213.