- 18 min ago Mars Transit in Libra On 22 October 2021 Effects on Zodiac Signs And Remedies
- 11 hrs ago What Is Scream Therapy? Read About How Horror Movies Can Benefit Your Mental Health!
- 12 hrs ago Alia Bhatt And Malaika Arora Convince Us To Invest In Single-Tone Outfits With All-Blue And All-Green Look
- 12 hrs ago Diabetes And Itching: What Are The Causes Of Itching In Diabetics And How To Treat Them?
- Technology Flipkart Big Diwali Sale 2021: Discount Offers On Premium Smartphones
- Movies Bigg Boss 15 Oct 21 Highlights: Shamita & Nishant Get Into Huge Argument; Jay Objects To Losing Price Money
- Sports Brand El Clasico is bigger than brand Messi: Fernando Sanz
- News We shouldn't expect favourable outcome in every round of border talks with China: Gen Naravane
- Finance Citibank Today Revised Its Interest Rates On FD: Here’s What You Can Get Now
- Travel Best Winter Destinations In Andaman And Nicobar Islands
- Education 7th Pay Commission News: 3 Per Cent DA Hike For Central Government Employees, Pensioners Ahead Of Diwali
- Automobiles MG Astor Bookings Opened: First Batch Gets Sold Out Within 20 Minutes
Headache is one of the common health issues, which can be due to serious underlying conditions such as migraine or due to a very simple cause i.e hunger. Hunger headache occurs mainly when you skip meals, particularly breakfast, and did not eat enough food for a long time.
According to a study, hunger is responsible for 31.03 per cent and skipping meals is for 29.31 per cent of headaches in individuals compared to other factors such as intense emotions, fatigue, weather changes, menstruation, travelling, noises and sleep hours. 
In this article, we will discuss hunger headache in details. Take a look.
Causes Of Hunger Headache
Factors like dehydration, lack of food and lack of caffeine cause low glucose levels in the body which may trigger a headache. This happens when the brain senses low glucose levels and releases certain hormones like glucagon, cortisol and adrenaline to recover from hypoglycemia or low glucose levels. 
As a side effect of these hormones, a headache occurs along with a feeling of fatigue, dullness or nausea. Also, dehydration, lack of caffeine and lack of food cause brain tissues to tighten thus, activating the pain receptors to cause a headache.
To mention, the intensity of headache increases in people who have stress or diabetes. A study says that headache worsens by 93 per cent in people who have stress compared to 58 per cent in people who do not have stress. Hunger and stress can also proceed to trigger a migraine or tension-type headache attacks. 
Symptoms Of Hunger Headache
The symptoms of hunger headache are characterised by the feeling of pressure on the sides and forehead along with tension on the shoulders and the neck. Apart from these, other symptoms that follow hunger headache include the following:
- Stomach growling or rumbling
- Shivering of hand
- Stomach pain
- Sensation of cold
Can Gastrointestinal Problems Cause Headache?
According to a study, primary headaches can be due to some gastrointestinal disorders and treating these problems can be a major resolution for headache. Some of the gastrointestinal problems linked to primary headaches include gastro oesophagal reflux disease (GERD), constipation, dyspepsia, inflammatory bowel syndrome (IBS), functional abdominal pain, celiac disease, and H. Pylori infection.
Experts suggest that management of these diseases can cure or relieve headache arising from the disorders and also improve the quality of life.
Tips To Prevent Hunger Headache
- Eat healthy foods on time.
- Avoid skipping meals, especially breakfast.
- Eat smaller meals at regular intervals if your profession involves a very busy schedule.
- Always keep energy bars or whole-grain bars handy.
- Avoid sugary chocolates or sweetened juices as they may cause a sudden spike in glucose levels and increase the risk of diabetes.
- Drink a lot of water to maintain hunger pangs.
- Always carry a whole fruit such as apple or oranges and a box of nuts.
- You can opt for yoghurt or unsweetened fruit juices.
- If your headache is due to withdrawal from caffeine, instead of stopping the intake completely, first reduce the quantity and then stop it entirely.
Hunger headache is common when you are empty-stomach and usually go when you consume food. But that does not mean that one should delay with their meal timings as regular headache due to hunger can also proceed to some problems such as gastric or heartburn.
Also, if you observe regular episodes of a headache without hunger, it can be the cause of some other underlying conditions which need immediate medical attention for proper diagnosis and treatment.