- 1 hr ago Daily Horoscope, 15 August 2022: Today's Horoscope Predictions For All Zodiac Signs
- 2 hrs ago Don’t Break Your Fitness Regimen This Independence Day: Try This Healthy Tricolour Sandwich
- 14 hrs ago Who Was Rakesh Jhunjhunwala? Facts About 'India's Warren Buffett'
- 18 hrs ago What Causes Children To Become Narcissists: 4 Types Of Narcissism In Children, And The Influence Of Parents
- Movies Laal Singh Chaddha Day 4 Box Office Collection: Aamir Khan's Film Has A Sluggish Weekend
- Technology Last Week Most Trending Smartphones: Galaxy Z Fold 4, Xiaomi Mix Fold 2, Redmi Note 11, Z Flip 4, And More
- Sports Maharaja Trophy: Abhinav Manohar’s heroics leads Mangalore United to thrilling win against Gulbarga Mystics
- News No "hello", instead use 'Vande Mataram' when answering calls: Maha minister to govt officials
- Finance Rakesh Jhunjhunwala Passes Away At 62: 5 Facts About The Ace Investor
- Travel Wettest Places in The World: List of Rainiest Places on Earth
- Education Top 10 ideas to celebrate the Independence Day 2022
- Automobiles Honda CB300F First Ride Review - Aggressive Fighter Neutered By Head Scratching Price Tag
Most women experience certain signs like breast tenderness, irritation, craving for sweets, moodiness, bloating, stomach pain or headache one to two weeks before their period . And some of these symptoms can affect your daily life activities. By now, you may have probably understood that we are talking about premenstrual syndrome (PMS), a common condition that affects more than 90 per cent of women.
What Is Premenstrual Syndrome (PMS)?
Premenstrual syndrome is a combination of physical, emotional or behavioural changes that starts just days or weeks before menstruation begins. It happens every month during the luteal phase of the menstrual cycle.
About five to eight per cent of women of reproductive age have PMS and most of these women tend to suffer from premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD) . PMDD is a severe form of PMS that may interfere with work, social activities and relationships.
Causes Of Premenstrual Syndrome
The exact cause of premenstrual syndrome is unknown. However, some researchers believe the following factors to be causes of premenstrual syndrome.
• Hormonal changes - A fluctuation in the oestrogen and progesterone hormones could cause irritability, mood swings and headache .
• Chemical changes in the brain - Fluctuation in serotonin levels can trigger premenstrual symptoms. Serotonin is a chemical in your brain that plays a crucial role in mood, emotions and thoughts .
• Sex hormones - Fluctuations in sex hormones triggers the symptoms of PMS.
Symptoms Of Premenstrual Syndrome
The symptoms are often mild, but it can become severe . According to the American Family Physician, upto 85 per cent of menstruating women have one or more premenstrual symptoms.
• Breast tenderness and swelling
• Back pain
• Stomach pain
• Water retention
• Weight gain
• Muscle and joint pain
• Depressed mood
• Mood swings
• Lack of concentration
• Decrease in self-esteem
• Food cravings or overeating
• Changes in sexual interest
Risk Factors Of Premenstrual Syndrome
• A family history of PMS.
• A family history of depression.
• History of depression or mood disorders like bipolar disorder or postpartum depression .
• Domestic violence.
• Substance abuse.
• Physical and emotional trauma.
• High levels of stress.
When To See A Doctor
If you are unable to manage your PMS and it is affecting your health and daily activities, consult a doctor.
Diagnosis Of Premenstrual Syndrome
The diagnostic criteria for PMS are based on the following symptoms .
• The presence of at least five symptoms in the luteal phase and at least one of which must be a mood symptom, which includes anxiety or tension, depressed mood and persistent anger and irritability.
• Marked affective lability like feeling suddenly sad or tearful.
• Decreased interest in usual activities.
• Difficulty in concentrating.
• Marked changes in appetite
• Hypersomnia or insomnia.
• Being overwhelmed or out of control
Treatment Of Premenstrual Syndrome
A change in lifestyle and medications can bring relief from PMS symptoms.
• Serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SRIs) -They are considered effective in relieving PMS symptoms as compared to anti-depressants. It lowers mood symptoms and improves the quality of life and social activities. The SRIs that have been shown to be effective are fluoxetine, citalopram, escitalopram, paroxetine, sertraline and venlafaxine .
• Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDS) - These medications are given to ease abdominal cramping and breast swelling and tenderness.
• Vitamin supplements - Calcium, folic acid, vitamin B6 and magnesium can ease cramps and reduce mood swings .
• Drink plenty of water to reduce abdominal pain.
• Eat a well-balanced diet.
• Reduce the intake of sugar, salt, caffeine and alcohol.
• Sleep for at least eight hours at night.
• Engage in 30 minutes of exercise such as walking, cycling or swimming.
• Try doing deep-breathing exercises to relieve stress.
1. Does PMS get worse with age?
A. Yes, the PMS symptoms may worsen as you reach your late 30s or 40s and attain menopause.
2. How long does PMS last?
A. Before menstruation starts, PMS symptoms can begin on the 14th day of the cycle and last until seven days after the menstruation starts.
3. What kind of health problems do PMS have an effect on?
A. PMS can affect depression and anxiety disorders, irritable bowel syndrome, chronic fatigue syndrome and bladder pain syndrome.
- wellnessWorld Menstrual Hygiene Day: What Is Cycle Syncing? How Does It Benefit Your Productivity And PMS Symptoms?
- wellnessFatigue Before A Period: Causes And Tips To Fight It
- wellnessSt John's Wort: Benefits, Side Effects And Drug Interactions
- nutritionSurprising Health Benefits Of Eating Overripe Bananas
- basicsWhat Causes Children To Become Narcissists: 4 Types Of Narcissism In Children, And The Influence Of Parents
- disorders cureWinged Scapula - A Body Builder's Woe: Causes, Signs And Treatment
- disorders cureAshton Kutcher's Autoimmune Disorder Left Him Blind And Disabled: Know About Vasculitis Causes And Treatment
- disorders cureRat Fever Reported In Karnataka: Know About The Causes, Symptoms, Treatment And Prevention
- disorders cureWhat Is Synesthesia? A Condition That Causes You To 'See Shapes When You Hear Music'
- disorders cureWhat Is Bell's Palsy? Causes, Symptoms, Complications And Treatment
- disorders cureJustin Bieber Diagnosed With Ramsay Hunt Syndrome: Know More About The Disease
- disorders cureWhat Is Onchocerciasis, Also Called 'River Blindness'? Symptoms And Causes