- 2 hrs ago Princess Diana’s 10 Most Iconic Fashion Moments Of All Time
- 2 hrs ago It's Raining Discounts! Upto 70% Off On Exclusive Cookware Items From Premium Brands
- 3 hrs ago Samantha Ruth Prabhu Fitness: 6 Quick Tips You Need To Learn From The Pan-India Star
- 4 hrs ago Its Play Time! Get Upto 70% Off On Toys On Amazon That Are Educational And Fun
- News Shashi Tharoor to receive France's highest civilian award, party leaders congratulate him
- Education SWAYAM 2022: Last Day To Register Is Tomorrow, Hurry up Apply Here
- Sports Rishabh Pant named Uttarakhand’s brand ambassador
- Finance Buy This Miniratna PSU Stock For Target Price Of Rs 46, Gains Up to 36%: ICICI Securities
- Technology OnePlus 10T’s 16GB RAM Variant’s First Sale Scheduled For This Date; Price & Specs
- Movies Tiger Shroff And Disha Patani Are Still Very Much Together, The Rumoured Break Up Never Happened - Reports
- Travel The Breadknife: Australia's Prime Attraction
- Automobiles Tata Punch Reaches 1 Lakh Sales Milestone - New Benchmark Set
Earwax, which is also known as cerumen, plays a crucial role in maintaining your health. Earwax comprises of components such as shed skin cells, oil and other particles. It helps in protecting the skin of the ear canal, keeps the ear skin moist and lubricated and protects the ears from microbes such as fungi and bacteria as well as from insects and water.
Earwax can easily be cleaned without any assistance in healthy people but in old people it becomes difficult and this wax build-up can lead to serious health consequences.
According to health experts, too much earwax build-up can cause earwax blockage which is also known as cerumen impaction.
Symptoms Of Earwax Impaction:
- Feeling pain in the ear
- Feeling fullness in the ear
- Experiencing difficulties in hearing with the condition growing worse
- Tinnitus or ringing in the ears
- Odour coming from the ear
- Feeling itchiness and irritation in the ears
How Earwax Impaction Affects Adults?
The issue of earwax impaction is very common. Compared to young people, elderly people are more prone to this condition. Causes such as a decline in one's ability to take care of oneself and self-grooming etc., result in wax build-up in the ear
"Cerumen build-up in older adults is an extremely common issue we see. Most people don't even realize that they have an issue. The cerumen is much drier than when we were younger, so it gets hard and it creates basically a plug," said Dr Maria Torroella Carney, division chief of Geriatrics and Palliative Medicine for Northwell Health in New York, as quoted by Healthline.
People experience loss of hearing as well as discomfort triggered by balance issues and pressure build-up. According to studies hearing loss has been linked to dementia and cognitive decline and wax build-up in the ear can worsen the condition.
Cerumen build-up affects the functioning of the brain adversely and also causes sudden changes in the mood.
Our inner ears, eyes, muscles and joints play an important role in maintaining our body's balance. These parts of our body form the vestibular system that sends signals to our brain and help us in maintaining our body's balance. Without this, it would become difficult for us to carry out activities like standing, running and walking. If you are experiencing balance problems you should consult a doctor. You can also get your balance checked by an audiologist.
Treatment For Earwax Build-up
Though earwax build-up can lead to various health problems and even affect your brain's functioning, this condition is treatable and the hearing loss is reversible.
Doctors often advise you to use over-the-counter wax softening drops which you need to put in your ears after tilting your head to the side. You need to leave it for around 5 minutes and let the drop settle. You can let the drop drain after that.
Doctors use curette - a small plastic spoon - to remove the earwax. Other treatments include using warm water, sodium bicarbonate or some ear drops to irrigate your ear. Using gentle suction is another method the doctor can use to clear the wax build-up.
How To Prevent Earwax Impaction?
Ear doctors and experts often advise us to avoid using earbuds. Consulting ENT specialists for getting your ear canals checked is the best thing to do, especially for elderly people who use devices such as hearing aid. You should get earwax removed from your ear by a professional to stay safe. Consulting a doctor can also aid in detecting any other prevailing ear-related issues.
- disorders cureAshton Kutcher's Autoimmune Disorder Left Him Blind And Disabled: Know About Vasculitis Causes And Treatment
- disorders cureRat Fever Reported In Karnataka: Know About The Causes, Symptoms, Treatment And Prevention
- disorders cureWhat Is Synesthesia? A Condition That Causes You To 'See Shapes When You Hear Music'
- disorders cureWhat Is Bell's Palsy? Causes, Symptoms, Complications And Treatment
- disorders cureJustin Bieber Diagnosed With Ramsay Hunt Syndrome: Know More About The Disease
- disorders cureWhat Is Onchocerciasis, Also Called 'River Blindness'? Symptoms And Causes
- wellnessGovt Releases Monkeypox Guidelines On Detecting And Treating The Disease
- disorders cureWhat Is Exploding Head Syndrome, A Condition That Happens Only When You Sleep
- disorders cureForeign Accent Syndrome (FAS): What Causes This Weird But Real Medical Condition?
- disorders cureWhat Is Flatfoot (Flat Feet)? Symptoms, Causes, Treatment And Can It Be Prevented?
- disorders cureSleeping Beauty Syndrome, A Rare Disorder That Affects Men: Symptoms, Causes And Treatment
- disorders cureExpert Article: What Is Amenorrhea? Causes And Treatment