Bronchitis is one of the top 10 ailments for which people seek medical care. It is a very uncomfortable ailment that leaves you coughing for weeks and comes with a plenty of mucus.
Bronchitis is the inflammation of the bronchial tubes that carry air to your lungs. This condition leads to coughing persistently, sometimes making it hard to breathe. This coughing may even lead to chest pain and wheezing.
The main symptom of bronchitis is persistent cough, which lasts for less than 3 weeks. The other symptoms include fatigue, sore throat, fever, body aches, vomiting, and diarrhoea.
There are 2 types of bronchitis - acute and chronic. Acute bronchitis is common and chronic bronchitis is an ongoing serious condition that is associated with an accelerated decline in lung function.
To prevent and manage the symptoms of bronchitis, there are many simple home remedies that you can try out. Here is a list of 12 home remedies for bronchitis cough. Take a look.
Though ginger is often used for the treatment of cold, it can also help with bronchitis cough. Ginger contains anti-inflammatory and immune-boosting properties that help relieve irritated, inflamed or swollen bronchial tubes.
- Add half a teaspoon of ground ginger, cinnamon and cloves in a cup of hot water. Drink this mixture for a few days.
- You can make ginger tea by adding one teaspoon of ginger powder and black pepper in a cup of boiling water. Add honey to it and drink it.
Garlic contains antibiotic and anti-viral properties which are beneficial for treating bronchitis cough, especially acute bronchitis.
- Chop three garlic cloves and put them in a glass of milk and boil.
- Drink this mixture at night before going to bed.
The expectorant effect of onions helps to dissolve the mucus and phlegm, thereby bringing relief from bronchitis.
- You can either drink raw onion juice or you can add onions to your salad or to other dishes while cooking.
4. Eucalyptus Oil
Using eucalyptus oil as a home remedy for bronchitis will soften the mucus in the obstructed airways. Its antibacterial properties also help in the healing process.
- Add a few drops of eucalyptus oil to boiling water and cover your head with a towel and inhale the steam. You can use tea tree oil as well.
5. Salt Water
Salt water gargle is a great home remedy to cure bronchitis cough. It can treat various symptoms of bronchitis.
- Add one teaspoon of salt water in a glass of warm water and gargle.
Raw honey is a very good home remedy to deal with cough that occurs with bronchitis. The antiviral and antibacterial properties present in honey are soothing for the throat.
- Add a teaspoon of honey to your regular cup of tea.
- You can add honey to warm lemon water to treat congestion and throat inflammation.
7. Sesame Seeds
Sesame seeds have medicinal properties that can cure bronchitis and help relieve chest congestion associated with it.
- Mix ½ a teaspoon of sesame seed powder and two tablespoons of water and take it twice daily.
Turmeric has anti-inflammatory properties which are good for treating the cough associated with bronchitis. This wonderful spice is very good in removing excess mucus, which provides you relief instantly.
- Add 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder to a glass of milk and boil it.
- Drink it two times in a day on an empty stomach.
9. Tomato Soup
Tomato soup is extremely rich in vitamin C, which helps to reduce the excessive formation of mucus during bronchitis.
- Drink tomato soup at least twice in a day to get rid of bronchitis cough.
10. Hot Water
Increase your hot water intake instead of drinking cold water. Hot water will help in reducing the swelling of the lungs.
- Drink a glass of warm water whenever you feel irritation in the chest or in the throat.
11. Mustard Oil Massage
A gentle massage on your chest with mustard oil will provide a great relief against a stiff chest. It will ease the congestion in the lungs.
- Take a little drop of mustard oil and massage it on your chest for a few minutes.
12. Epsom Salt
Epsom salt can bring relief from bronchitis symptoms, especially when you are suffering from acute bronchitis.
- You can take an Epsom salt bath, by adding a few tablespoons of Epsom salt in your bathing water.
- Soak yourself in the water for half an hour.
Share this article!
If you liked reading this article, share it with your close ones.