Magnesium deficiency is reported to be one of the top causes of migraine in people.
An adult male requires at least 400 to 420 mg of magnesium per day, where as an adult female requires up to 310 to 320 mg per day.
A diet which is very high in sugars and simple carbohydrates contains low magnesium.
Some of the other reasons that can contribute to low magnesium levels are consuming fewer servings of vegetables per day, excess alcohol consumption, taking antibiotics and diuretics.
Consumption of magnesium-rich foods is essential in order to combat migraine and to prevents its recurrence.
Apart from preventing migraine, it also helps to relax the muscles and steadies the nerves. It helps build strong bones, stabilizes heartbeat and also regulates blood pressure and blood sugar levels.
Magnesium deficiency is related to factors that contribute to migraines.
In this article, we have listed some of the top magnesium-rich foods for treating migraine.
Read further to know about the foods to treat migraine.
Whole grains help in preventing and fighting the headache due to their high fibre content. It also helps in balancing the blood sugar levels. This is especially useful, as fluctuating blood sugar can cause headache.
Migraine can be prevented by having magnesium-rich foods like oatmeal or whole-grain cereals.
2. Nuts, Seeds And Legumes:
The magnesium found in almonds, cashews, brown rice, black beans and other legumes can help relax the blood vessels and also help the body from painful headaches and migraine. This is one of the best magnesium-rich foods for migraine.
Dehydration is one of the major causes of headache and migraine. Hence, it is recommended to eat fruits that are rich in magnesium.
Water which is naturally found in fruits or vegetables is beneficial for the prevention of headache. Watermelon is one of the top magnesium-rich foods for migraine.
1 cup of spinach contains 157 milligrams of magnesium. Hence, consuming this helps in preventing that throbbing migraine pain.
If you're down with a migraine, consuming just ½ a cup of figs will help counter the pain. Just ½ a cup contains about 50 mg of magnesium, hence regular consumption helps in preventing its occurrence.
6. Dark Chocolate:
It is recommended to consume 1 square of dark chocolate every day to prevent the recurrence of a migraine attack. It provides about 95 mg of magnesium that your body requires.
1 medium-sized banana provides you with about 32 grams of magnesium that your body requires to fight against a possible migraine attack. It is one of the top foods to treat migraine.
- 10 Benefits Of Drinking Water On An Empty Stomach
- 10 Interesting Health Facts About Water
- Top 12 Vitamin B2 Rich Foods And Their Health Benefits
- Avoid Having These 9 Foods When You Have A Migraine
- 12 Incredible Foods That Help Fight Migraine
- 19 Amazing Home Remedies To Treat Migraine Headache
- Is Hormone Therapy Safe For Women With Migraine?
- If You Are Suffering From Migraine Then You Might Be At A Risk Of This
- Did You Suffer Headache After Orgasm? Read this!
- Financial Stress Increases Migraine Risk - Study
- What Your Food Cravings Are Actually Trying To Tell You
- Unusual Side Effects Of Lemon That Will Shock You
- 10 Ways To Clean Up Your Diet For A Healthier Heart