Do you have 'gingival swelling'? No, it's not a very complicated ailment. It's just the swelling of your gums, which is a common problem for us all.
The swelling of the gums make them bulge out and appear red, besides causing irritation, sensation and pain. Bleeding of the gum during brushing and flossing is also a common phenomenon.
What causes gum swelling?
Gum swelling can be caused by infection, which can cause gingivitis (inflammation of the gums), pregnancy and nutritional deficiencies. Misfitting dental appliances, smoking or incorrect brushing and flossing can also cause swellings in the gum.
Oral medication is of course available for treating gum swellings, but it is also helpful to treat your gums with various home remedies that can soothe the pain and irritation.
Using these home remedies at other times for gum swelling can also help you have a strong gum, which is less vulnerable to swellings and pain. However, if the pain goes on for more than two weeks, rush to a dentist.
1. Proper Nutrition: This is the most important step one can take to cure any kind of a health disorder, and swollen gums are no exception. A proper nutrition containing calcium, vitamin C and D and folic acid help you to avoid the condition of swollen gums. While fruits like lemons, oranges, pineapples, strawberries, etc., have vitamin C, dairy products, fish, soymilk, etc., have calcium and green vegetables have a high folic acid content. Whole eggs, cod liver oil, sunflower seeds, etc., are rich in vitamin D that can be included in your regular diet.
2. Warm & Cold Compresses: Warm and cold compresses can come handy, as they help in reducing the pain and swelling of the affected gums. However, as a note of caution, hold the compresses against your face and not directly on the gums. First, use a cloth soaked in warm water and then a bag filled with frozen vegetables like peas. Repeat the warm-cold cycle two to three or more times.
3. Salt Water: Salt prevents growth of bacteria inside the mouth and ensures a good oral health. Rub your gums with salt gently after brushing, and rinse it off with warm water soon after. Practise this thrice a week. You can also add a pinch of salt into a glass of lukewarm water and rinse your mouth twice daily. You will be benefitted.
4. Aloe Vera: This natural product is a great remedy for swollen gums. Aloe vera has anti-inflammatory and antibacterial benefits that provide relief in case you have inflamed gums. Apply and gently massage the gel of the aloe vera leaf on the affected gums and follow it up by rinsing with warm water. Do this for a few times daily.
5. Turmeric: A natural ally of our health, turmeric has curcumin, which helps in reducing pain and inflammation of the gums. It also prevents spread of bacterial infection. Make a paste of turmeric and water and apply it on your gums with a finger and massage gently and then rinse with warm water.
6. Black Tea Bags: Tannins in black tea bags can soothe gum inflammation if they are applied on the affected area after soaking in warm water. Wash off your mouth with warm salt water. Do this twice a day.
7. Hydrogen Peroxide: It's an antiseptic, which cures oral problems, including gum pain. Do not use more than three per cent hydrogen peroxide solution for oral use. Swish a solution containing the antiseptic and water and rinse it off with slightly hot water.
8. Ginger: Prepare a paste of ginger and salt and apply it directly on to the affected area in your mouth.
9. Clove: Mix clove oil with black pepper and apply the mixture on the swollen gums to get a good relief. Clove oil can be directly applied on to the swelling.
10. Other Points To Remember: Proper brushing and flossing, avoiding very hot and cold beverages and tobacco-based products and alcohol, timely replacement of your brush, etc., are also other essential home remedies to treat swollen gums.