- Movies Jr NTR To Host Bigg Boss Telugu Season 4? Here's What We Know
- Sports Why Jadon Sancho should opt for Chelsea
- News 'Telangana police zindabad', 'We got justice' : Public gathered at encounter site hail cops
- Finance Why Yes Bank Shares Cracked 7% In Trade Today?
- Technology Nokia 6.2 Retails At Its Lowest Ever Price: Should You Buy?
- Travel 8 Most Relaxing Beaches In India To Visit In December
- Automobiles MG ZS EV Electric SUV Unveiled For Indian Market: Range, Features, Specifications & Details
- Education Indian Navy Day: 5 Amazing Facts Students Should Know
The moment we hear of acupressure, we relate it with pain reliever or treatment for spondylitis. But a recent study has found that acupressure helps in reducing persistent fatigue among women undergoing breast cancer treatment.
It addition to this, it also improves their sleep as well as their quality of life. Acupressure is also found as one of the low-cost ways to manage other symptoms.
Fatigue is one of the most common effects witnessed by every woman undergoing breast cancer treatment, and it is said to last even after a decade of the treatment.
The findings revealed that acupressure reduced fatigue by 27 per cent to 34 per cent over 6 weeks of the treatment.
Acupressure is one of the well-known traditional Chinese treatment methods. It involves applying pressure with fingers, thumbs or a device to specific points on the body.
Also Read: Breast Cancer Every Woman's Nightmare
In the study, published in the journal JAMA Oncology, the team tested two types of acupressure namely relaxing acupressure, used traditionally to treat insomnia, and stimulating acupressure, which is used to increase energy. The two techniques differ by the points on the body that are stimulated.
During the study, 424 breast cancer survivors from the Michigan Tumor Registry were taken into consideration. At the end of the trial, both acupressure treatments resulted in significant, sustained improvements in fatigue.
The study found that two-thirds of women who did relaxing acupressure, which is a certain type of the healing method, showed significant improvements in fatigue levels, measure of sleep quality, such as disrupted sleep, and an overall quality of life.
The relaxing method, on the other hand, appeared to cause more significant improvements in fatigue levels of breast cancer patients.
The best part about acupressure is that it is easy to learn and patients can do it themselves. However, it is always advised to take the opinion of an acupressure specialist before we start off with any of the treatment modalities.
With Inputs From IANS