- Movies Sargun Mehta Wishes Hubby Ravi Dubey On Their 6th Wedding Anniversary With A Sweet Message
- Technology Week 49, 2019 Launch Roundup: Vivo iQOO Neo, Motorola One Hyper, Nokia 2.3, Vivo Y9s And More
- News Amid violence Jharkhand Assembly polls 2nd phase ended with 63.36% voters turnout
- Sports Manchester City 1-2 Manchester United: Rashford and Martial land big win for Solskjaer
- Automobiles KTM 790 Adventure Showcased At India Bike Week Ahead Of 2020 Launch
- Finance Now 5,500 Railway Stations Have Free WiFi
- Education TOEFL Go! Global: A Mobile App From ETS To Stand Out In Exam
- Travel A Brief Travel Guide For Solo Travellers To Conquer South India
Pumpkin is a sweet vegetable. So, some people conclude that if you have diabetes you cannot have pumpkin. But this is a myth based on misinformation and lack of knowledge. Not only can diabetics have this vegetable comfortably, it is also good for their condition. Certain pumpkin recipes are even a home remedy for diabetes.
Now inspite of being a sweet vegetable, pumpkin can help cure diabetes. Let us see how and why this is true.
Glycemic Index: Pumpkin has very low GI or glycemic index. The GI is a count of how much a particular food raises your blood sugar level. High GI foods like potatoes, rice etc are prohibited for diabetics. But although pumpkin has starch, its GI is really low.
Pumpkin heals the pancreas: We all know that insulin is produced by the pancreas and when it does not function properly, you become diabetic. Pumpkin has proven to heal the pancreatic tissues of diabetic rats. So, we can certainly hope that pumpkin will cure diabetes in humans at some point of time.
Preventive Measure: Not only does pumpkin help to lower your blood sugar, it is also a preventive measure against this chronic diesease. Having pumpkin on a regular basis can actually lower your chances of developing diabetes. So pumpkin is one of the must have vegetables for diabetics.
How To Have Pumpkin?
It is not enough to just have pumpkin and expect that you will be cured of diabetes. This vegetable can be a home remedy for diabetes only if it is consumed in the right way. For example, pumpkin pie is one of the best recipes for diabetic but pumpkin jam is not.
If you are diabetic and want this vegetable to give you the best results, then here is how you should have it.
- With Diabetes Friendly Spices: Having pumpkin pie made with cinnamon and nutmeg is a good idea because both these spices are diabetes friendly. But if you add red chili powder to pumpkin, it will only spoil the nutrients.
- Without Sugar: You must eat pumpkin as a replacement for sugary dessert. So, it defeats the purpose if you have pumpkin with sugar.
- Without Oil: Frying pumpkin would mean adding calories to it and destroying its nutrition. Have pumpkin baked, steamed or grilled but never fried.
So, here are some ways in which pumpkin helps diabetics.