- 23 min ago Cancer Centre Successfully Initiates Neuro-Monitoring Technique For Spinal Cord Surgery, A First In Mumbai
- 6 hrs ago Happy Parents Day 2021: Wishes, Images, Quotes, Status To Share With Your Parents
- 20 hrs ago Tokyo Olympics 2020: Know About India's Saikhom Mirabai Chanu Who Won Silver Medal In Weightlifting
- 20 hrs ago Kriti Sanon Looks Fresh And Radiant In Her Vibrant Orange Dress; Take A Look At Her Orange Eye Shadow Too!
- Education CGBSE 12th Result 2021: Check CG Board 12th Result 2021 Link
- News Ayodhya in tizzy following hoax bomb threat
- Sports Soldier of his country: Iran's Olympic champion shooter is hospital nurse too, served in COVID wards
- Finance Gratuity Act 1972: Here’s All You Need To Know About Nomination Rules
- Movies Yashika Anand Meets With An Accident; Critically Injured
- Technology Vodafone-Idea Likely To Follow Airtel; Increase Tariffs Of Postpaid Plans
- Automobiles Piaggio Ape HT Three-Wheelers Launched In India At Rs 2.24 Lakh: Cargo & Passenger CNG Available
- Travel 10 Best Places To Visit In Andaman and Nicobar Islands In August
This can offer more medication for glaucoma and perhaps other diseases to the eye like cataract, dry eye etc. Glaucoma is second only to cataracts as the leading cause of vision loss and blindness, in the world. Eye drops that relieve the abnormal build-up of pressure inside the eye that occurs in glaucoma, are the mainstay treatment. But with in about two to five minutes of putting drops in the eye, the tears carry the drug away, which decrease the desired results.
Much of the medicine gets absorbed in to the bloodstream, which carries it throughout the body where it could cause side effects. Only about one to five percent of drug in the eye drops reach the cornea of the eye.
Scientists have developed a new extended-release delivery approach, by incorporating vitamin E into contact lenses. The invisible clusters or aggregates, of vitamin E molecules form transport barriers, which slow down the elision of the glaucoma medication from the lens into the eye. The drug molecules cannot go through the Vitamin E. They have to go around it, as the vitamin structures are much bigger than the drug molecules. This will help to increase the duration of the drug release from the lenses and the drug released from the lens into the eye stays in the tears far longer than the 2-5 minutes with eye drops, leading to more effective therapy.
These lenses with Vitamin E, can be designed for continuous wear for up to a month.