- Movies Khatron Ke Khiladi 10: Meet Darr Ki University's Professor Rohit Shetty And His Students
- News Anti-CAA stir: Court grants bail to 14 arrested for violence in Muzaffarnagar
- Finance Here’s How Video KYC For Bank Account Opening Works
- Sports Sania Mirza and Nadiia Kichenok grab Hobart International title
- Technology Microsoft India Announces Discount For Xbox Game Pass, Xbox Live Gold Price Subscription
- Automobiles Maruti Suzuki Eeco BS-VI Launched In India: Prices Start At Rs 3.81 Lakh
- Education Tanmatra: A Women Leadership Programme From IIM Bangalore
- Travel 10 Best Places To Visit In Delhi In 2020
In all these days, persistent high blood pressure has been a risk factor for stroke, heart attack, heart failure, arterial aneurysm and is the leading cause of chronic kidney failure. But now, says the researchers, that an anti-aging gene called klotho can be manipulated to regulate hypertension and also reverse kidney damage.
The research team showed that by increasing the expression of the gene in laboratory models, they not only stopped blood pressure from continuing to rise, but succeeded in lowering it and reverse kidney damage completely. Sun reports: "One single injection of the klotho gene can reduce hypertension for at least 12 weeks and possibly longer." It added: "Klotho is also available as a protein and, conceivably, we could ingest it as a powder much like we do with protein drinks."
It has been found that, with age, the klotho level decreases while the prevalence of hypertension increases. During the study, researchers had also used one injection of the klotho gene in hypertensive research models and were able to markedly reduce blood pressure by the second week.
It continued to decline steadily for 12 weeks. The klotho gene was delivered with a safe viral vector that is currently used for gene therapy.