- Movies Mohanlal's Ram: Prachi Tehlan's Character Is Revealed!
- News SC to hear Special Leave Petition filed by Nirbhaya's killer Pawan Kumar Gupta on Monday
- Sports India vs Australia, 3rd ODI: More satisfying as Smith, Warner and Labuschagne are there: Skipper Virat Kohli
- Technology Reliance Jio Vs Vodafone Vs Airtel: Best Prepaid Plans Under Rs. 450
- Finance Budget 2020: Halwa Ceremony On 20 January
- Automobiles Maruti Suzuki Eeco BS-VI Launched In India: Prices Start At Rs 3.81 Lakh
- Education Tanmatra: A Women Leadership Programme From IIM Bangalore
- Travel 10 Best Places To Visit In Delhi In 2020
Diabetes is a chronic disease that has reached great proportion among people, the world over.
When diabetes is uncontrolled, it can have serious complications such as heart disease, kidney disease, blindness and other complications.
What is more important is that, eating the wrong foods can raise your blood sugar and insulin levels and this also promotes inflammation that can raise the risk of this disease.
Carbs, proteins and fats are the macronutrients that provide your body with energy. Carbs are known to have the greatest effect on your blood sugar levels so far.
This is because carbs include starch, sugar and fibre. But when people with diabetes consume too many carbs at a time, then their blood sugar levels can raise to a dangerous level.
In this article, we have listed some of the foods to avoid with diabetes. Read further to know which are the foods to avoid with diabetes.
1. Sugar-Sweetened Beverages:
These are loaded with carbs and fructose that are strongly linked with insulin resistance and diabetes. Studies have suggested that consuming sugar-sweetened beverages can increase the risk of diabetes-related conditions like fatty liver.
2. Trans Fats:
These are created by adding hydrogen to unsaturated fatty acids in order to make them more stable. Trans fats have been linked to increase inflammation, insulin resistance and belly fat.
3. White Bread, Pasta And Rice:
These are high carb, processed foods. Eating such refined-flour foods has been shown to increase the blood sugar levels in people with type 1 and type 2 diabetes.
4. Fruit-Flavoured Yogurt:
Fruit-flavoured yogurt is made from non-fat or low-fat milk and loaded with carbs and sugar. A cup of fruit-flavoured yogurt may contain 47 grams of sugar, which is nearly 81% of its calories that come from sugar.
5. Sweetened Breakfast Cereals:
These cereals are highly processed and contain more carbs than anything else. Also, these contain hardly any protein, which is a nutrient responsible for keeping the blood sugar levels stable. This is one of the foods to avoid with diabetes.
6. Flavoured Coffee Drinks:
These are loaded with carbs. Even light versions of these can significantly raise the blood sugar levels.
7. Honey, Agave Nectar And Maple Syrup:
These other forms of sugar can also cause blood sugar spikes. Although they are not highly processed, they contain as many carbs as that of white sugar.
8. Dried Fruits:
When fruits are dried, the process results in a loss of water that leads to even higher concentration of sugars. Hence, it is strictly prohibited for diabetics to have these in excess.
9. Packaged Snack Foods:
Packaged snack foods aren't good snack choices. These are made with refined flour and provide few nutrients. They have plenty of fast-digesting carbs that can raise the blood sugar levels. This is one of the foods to avoid with diabetes.
10. Fruit Juice:
The effect of fruit juice on blood sugar is similar to that of sodas and other drinks. These contain added sugar that are higher in carb content when compared to a regular soda.