- 8 min ago Bangalore School Kids Deliver An Impressive Rendition Of 'Believer' & Imagine Dragons Love It
- 18 min ago Deepika Padukone Takes Fashion Game To Another Level With Her Gorgeous Pink Ensemble
- 49 min ago 5 Facts About Bougainville - The World's Newest Nation'
- 2 hrs ago Cuteness Alert: Adorable Pandas Doing Funny Activities Will Make You Fall In Love With Them
- News 3-member panel headed by Retired Justice V S Sirpurkar to probe Hyderabad encounter: CJI to T'gana
- Sports Ranji Trophy matches in Guwahati, Agartala suspended due to unrest, curfew
- Technology NASA Mars 2020 Rover To Hunt For Early Life Evidence
- Movies Eid 2020 Box Office Battle: Salman Khan Reacts To Locking Horns With Akshay Kumar
- Finance Time To Be A Little Cautious On The Markets
- Travel 10 Best Places In India To Enjoy Christmas Vacation With Family
- Automobiles Orxa Mantis Electric Performance Motorcycle Revealed At India Bike Week 2019
- Education TOEFL Go! Global: A Mobile App From ETS To Stand Out In Exam
Diabetes is becoming a common disease these days. If proper attention is not paid, it can lead to several complications. It is thereby, considered one of the deadly diseases. One main reason behind diabetes is obesity.
Studies have shown that people who have more belly fat are easily prone to diabetes because this kind of fat is linked to insulin resistance. The waist size of a person is itself a clear indicator of diabetes risk than the Body Mass Index (BMI). So, a woman who has a waist size of 35 inches or more is easily prone to diabetes. Similarly a man with a waist size of 40 inches or more can be affected by diabetes easily.
Though diabetes is considered a dangerous disease, there are many ways to prevent it and also to keep it under control. In some cases, it can also be reversed based on the precautionary measures you take. The first and foremost thing that you need to do to control your diabetes is maintain a proper diet as advised by your doctor. So, what are the things that diabetics should add in their diet? Many people have this question in their mind. Your doctor can help you to a certain extent about you food habits but it is essential for you to know the things diabetics should add to their everyday diet.
This article for sure will help you learn what are the things that diabetics should add in their diet.
One of the things diabetics should add to their everyday diet are fresh fruits such as apples, pears, berries, papaya, peaches. Such fruits contain carbohydrates, vitamins, minerals and fibre.
Another important thing diabetics should add to their everyday diet are a lot of non-starchy vegetables such as beans. Most of the non-starchy vegetables contain low fat and high fibre and hence are recommended for diabetics.
Diabetics are advised to consume grains available in the least processed form such as brown rice, millets, whole-wheat, whole barley.
Green Leafy Vegetables:
Lots of green leafy vegetables is another vital thing diabetics should add to their everyday diet. Kale, Spinach, Lettuce,Arugula are some of them.
A diabetic should avoid regular white bread and go for whole-wheat or multi-grain breads.
Oats consumed in any form are good for diabetics.
A few almonds, pecans and walnuts can be consumed everyday.
Unsweetened tea or coffee with low fat milk is good for diabetics. Strictly avoid sodas.
Snacks in baked form are fine for diabetics.
Vegetable oils, low-fat Mayonnaise, non-hydrogenated butter spreads can be consumed by diabetics.
Dairy products are necessary to be consumed everyday because they contain proteins, minerals and calcium. Thereby, diabetics are recommended to consume low-fat dairy products.
Avoid red meat. Other low-fat meat products can be consumed in boiled, steamed or baked form. Avoid deep fried products. Fish and egg can also be consumed but not in the deep fried form.
For a diabetic, 3 meals and 2 snacks on a daily basis is necessary. A mixed diet including all the above mentioned foods can keep your glycemic index at correct levels. One vital thing to remember is that you should not skip your breakfast at any cost. Granola, museli, oats flakes make a great breakfast for diabetics.
Buy Best Health Insurance Plans