- 8 hrs ago From Deepika Padukone To Tamannaah Bhatia, These Divas Gave Us Sari Goals For Various Occasions
- 9 hrs ago Gauri Khan's Corset And Geometrically-Patterned Lehenga Is The Refreshing Outfit We All Wish We Had
- 9 hrs ago 8 Diseases Caused Due To Poor Sexual Hygiene
- 10 hrs ago Instagram Beauty Looks Of The Week: Zendaya, Shraddha Kapoor, Hina Khan & More
- Movies TRP Toppers Online: Bigg Boss 13 Tops Chart With Record Breaking Number; Naagin 4 Witnesses Drop
- Sports Hero I-League 2019-20: Churchill Brothers look to halt TRAU’s winning run
- News No state can deny implementation of CAA, it’s unconstitutional: Kapil Sibal
- Technology Bad Weather Delays SpaceX Crew Dragon Escape Test
- Finance Budget 2020: Halwa Ceremony On 20 January
- Automobiles Maruti Suzuki Eeco BS-VI Launched In India: Prices Start At Rs 3.81 Lakh
- Education Tanmatra: A Women Leadership Programme From IIM Bangalore
- Travel 10 Best Places To Visit In Delhi In 2020
About 30 years ago in 1986, Tom Cruise gave us one of the most iconic cinematic character, Pete 'Maverick Mitchell. He played the role of a young naval aviator in the movie Top Gun and apart from his acting skills, the other element from this cult movie that came into the limelight was his bomber jacket. The iconic jacket resurfaced after the trailer release of the sequel of the 1986 blockbuster, Top Gun: Maverick. The jacket led to a political debate on social media but why? Let's find out and talk about that jacket from a fashion perspective too.
So, in the original 1986 movie, Tom Cruise wore a leather bomber jacket but it had Japanese and Taiwanese flag patches. And in the latest movie, while the leather jacket is the same, the Taiwanese and Japanese flags are removed and instead some similar-hued patches are inserted. So, the missing flags in the new jacket became the topic of speculation. By some netizens, the reason cited was to pacify China as both the countries, Japan and Taiwan have tumultuous relations with China. The others believed that the flags were removed because of a different storyline this time. Paramount Pictures (owned by Viacom and Tencent Pictures) have not released any statement regarding this.
There’s a new Top Gun movie coming out. And Maverick is wearing the same leather jacket - only this time it’s Communist Party of China-approved, so the Japanese and Taiwanese flag patches are gone (screenshot on right is from the new trailer)... pic.twitter.com/gUxFNFNUKX— Mark MacKinnon (@markmackinnon) July 19, 2019
So, moving on from the issue and concentrating on his jacket, we have a strong feeling that even the new bomber jacket is going to be a rage for years. And did you know? The original black sturdy leather jacket was commissioned by the US Navy. The sheepskin collar jacket made a strong case for biker jackets and post Tom Cruise's Top Gun outing, the logo designs also came into fashion. Now, after the trailer release of Top Gun: Maverick, this kind of jacket is expected to rule the trends.
However, it is not to say that these jackets were ever out of trend. In fact, Tom Cruise's leather jacket has become a timeless piece, which gives a class apart effect. This military jacket fits well into the pop culture narrative and have been a source of inspiration for many designers. For instance, Sooraj Barjatya was inspired by Tom Cruise's Top Gun jacket and he designed the jacket for Salman Khan in Maine Pyar Kiya based on the same design. So, who is going to invest in this jacket of Tom Cruise's (Well, who doesn't want to ace this look!)? Let us know that in the comment section.